“paradise”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in La Ceiba
East Aurora, New York
“paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

The Lodge has clean, beautiful rooms, fabulous hospitality, stunning views, and knowledgeable bird guides. From the porches I saw at least 8 species of hummingbird. The show lasts all day long. I hope to return someday soon.

Room Tip: I stayed in the student cabins for a reduced rate, but it was NOT reduced quality! Impeccably clean...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
marcela8a, General Manager at The Lodge and Spa at Pico Bonito, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear friends: Thank you for the great comments in regards to our little paradise in the middle of Pico Bonito wildlife reserve, we greatly appreciate them. I will extend your comments to our staff, they will be very happy to hear from you.
Marcela

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

We spent a week at the Lodge at Pico Bonito to celebrate our wedding anniversary and it was amazing. Glorious location, helpful and gracious staff, expert local guides and beautiful, comfortable accommodations. The birding was breathtaking, and the hikes -- including swimming in refreshing rivers and waterfalls -- were fabulous. At times we had to remind ourselves we were not on a movie set!

Room Tip: "Superior" cabins are freestanding, with windows on 4 sides. All others are 2 connected ca...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear friends: thank you very much for choosing the Lodge for your wedding anniversary, it was a pleasure meeting you, I am so happy you had a great time with us.
Davis, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Pico Bonito resort offers access to some of the finest tropical forest in Central America. The area is part of a larger jaguar corridor system and is just full of plant and animal diversity. The birding here is spectacular!

I am a biologist, but I also appreciate a fine place to stay. Pico Bonito Lodge offers this. The lodging is exceptional, with excellent beds and fine showers, two things you learn to love after hiking in high heat and humidity during the day! Each "cabin" also has a deck and hammock, and some have views to the trail at the rear of the resort, where there are agoutis foraging about and lots of birds partaking of the fruit and other feeders put out to attract them.

The trails from the lodge are few, but very high quality. The main hike up into the hills heads fairly aggressively straight up a stair-cased trail system; it is well worth the trek. There are a couple of idyllic watering holes along the path...absolutely beautiful and the water temperature was perfect. The resort offers guides for the guests. Some hikes cost a bit; others are free. We made use of the guides a few times and a few were really excellent and knew their stuff. One or two were less impressive, but I suppose that is to be expected.

We were lucky to see monkeys, agoutis, jaguar sign (no cats though), 3 snakes, a huge toad, several species of frogs, and many many birds, including a potoo (first for me!), lovely cotinga, and lots of gorgeous hummingbirds.

The dining area is really wonderful at Pico. It has an indoor and outdoor part, and we often ate outdoors. There were not very many mosquitoes to spoil the experience, but we also wore bug juice most of the time. The restaurant staff are exceptionally nice and efficient and the menu is surprisingly continental, with some local flavor (such as conch soup). Everything I ate there was very very good...as fine as many of our best restaurants in California. I thoroughly enjoyed the good food.

I can't recommend this place enough. I think it would be particularly nice for an adventurous couple, who were either into birds, insects, tropical biology, or hiking. There is a lot to explore here as well as ample opportunities to relax by the pool, eat a fine meal, enjoy a drink on the deck, as the sun goes down, and more. It's a very romantic place as well as offering access to the forest. I would most definitely return to Pico Bonito!

I think I would only have two minor criticisms: One is that the cost tends to be a bit more than at first glance due to the exceedingly high tax on lodging and even food. 26%. It adds up. The other minor complaint is something the PB staff cannot help...one can hear gunfire all day long coming from a military training area apparently located downslope. This definitely takes away from the natural experience, at least for me, although some people might think it was "muffled" and far away...I tend to listen attentively for bird song and such, and it detracted from my experience.

These two things would definitely not keep me from going there again and I do highly recommend the place! I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: If you like nature, ask for a room at the rear of the resort, facing the hiking path.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank rbittman
Dear friends: thank you very much for the great comments in regards to our little paradise in the middle of Pico Bonito wildlife reserve, we greatly appreciate them. I will extend your comments to our staff, they will be very happy to hear from you.
Roatan, Honduras
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

I have lived in Central America for 7 years. Recently made the trip from my home in Roatan to Pico Bonito Lodge outside of La Ceiba. First class experience. Fantastic site, superb flowering gardens, and helpful knowledgeable staff. We hiked to the mermaid falls with our guide, Herman. Strenuous but not overly so. And a spectacular private falls and swimming hole awaited us. Also had opportunity to visit the serpentarium, butterfly farm, and have a guided birdwatching hike. Saw 20 different species of tropical birds. I am not a birder but it was spectacular. We will be back! Seems like a perfect place for a Board retreat for my business! or a romantic getaway. or a honeymoon if you are at that stage of life!

2 Thank pnc47292019
marcela8a, General Manager at The Lodge and Spa at Pico Bonito, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Dear friends: thank you very much for the great comments in regards our facilities, we greatly appreciate them. I will extend your comments to our staff, they will be very happy to hear from you.
Rest assured that for your Board retreat you will congratulate yourself for choosing the Lodge at Pico Bonito to be responsible for the event. We take great pride to maintain our standards of service and anticipate to our guests needs.
Again, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and we all hope to welcome you again.
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

Ads for The Lodge at Pico Bonito in Audubon Magazine have caught my eye for several years so my wife and I finally decided to visit this year. We stayed for 8 days providing plenty of time to gain a good impression of the lodge, its staff and the activities offered. We have both traveled extensively in Central and South America and so have many experiences against which to compare Pico Bonito. We were both interested in enjoying ourselves together in a relaxed atmosphere while still indulging in our particular interests, bird watching in my case and my wife's interest in relaxing and experiencing a variety of activities and local life in Honduras.

The lodge is absolutely wonderful and we would very highly recommend it to anyone with interests ranging from just wanting a beautiful place to stay for a night to the ardent ecotourist. The mostly English-speaking staff was very accommodating, helpful and efficient beginning with our pick-up at the airport in San Pedro Sula through the entire stay. Our air-conditioned room was cleaned immaculately daily. The waiters at the restaurant were professional, attentive, very personable and genuinely cared about the experience we were having. They were kind enough to vary the menu a bit for us at their suggestion over our relatively long stay. Incorporation of a few authentic Honduran dishes would help diversify the menu and coincide with lodge's efforts to buy locally, part of its commendable sustainability program. Receptionists were very helpful beginning with the initial tour of the lodge and extending to the arrangement of excursions during our stay. The lodge managers, Marcela and James, both went out of their way to talk with us, provided valuable suggestions including photographic opportunities and helped us out with problems such as charging camera batteries.

The excursions and activities offered covered the gamut from town tours to guided night walks in the rain forest to white water rafting. They were very easy to arrange with only a day's notice. We traveled to see the Honduran Emerald hummingbird, visited Cuero y Salado Wildlife Refuge, snorkeled in the Cayos Cochinos and took several bird watching hikes on and around the lodge property. All were organized extremely well, our guides were very knowledgeable about the environment and wildlife observed and the longer excursions also incorporated experiences with local culture including a train ride, lunch at a person's house and a visit to the Garifuna Village on Chachahuate Key.

If we were to single out the best aspect of our stay, it was the ability to engage in a full range of activities while staying at a single, extremely comfortable and accommodating lodge, thus eliminating time and logistics normally required to travel from place to place. Our experience was absolutely wonderful, it doesn't get any better than this!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
We take great pride to maintain our standards of service and anticipate to our guest’s needs. Thank you for giving us the pat in the back with your comments; it’s always encouraging in keeping our standards high. We are delighted we were able to give you the holidays you were expecting.
Have an excellent day!
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayaed here for 3 nights and I would happily have stayed longer. The lodges are lovely with balconies with a hammock and casual chairs on which to sit quietly and view the birds.
The grounds are lovely and although there is a 'wild' jungle look, the main paths are kept very clear so it's really easy to walk around and explore. I loved listening to the birds busy chattering in the trees.
Staff are friendly but also professional. The food is great and I especially loved the cookies in the afternoon!
The Lodge offers a wide variety of tours and we booked two tours before we arrived. One was to Cuero y Salado Wildlife Refuge and the other to Cayos Cochinos Marina Sanctuary. We really enjoyed them as they both had a reasonable element of adventure without being unsafe. The guide was efficient and we felt completely confident in his ability to ensure things ran smoothly.
The only thing which made me a bit sad was the butterfly farm and the snake enclosure. There is probably a good reason for breeding them in captivity etc but I'm just not sure and I don't really like seeing things in cages.
However, I would definitely return - we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Indira: thank you very much for the great comments in regards our facilities, we greatly appreciate them. I will extend your comments to our staff, they will be very happy to hear from you.
In regards to our butterflies and snakes, we do release them from time to time and mainly we keep them for scientist, students and similar for research reasons or learning experiences.
Have an excellent day
Kalama, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

The grounds and buildings at The Lodge at Pico Bonito were wonderful. The place is a bit pricey - we saw more employees than guests so I wonder if they dropped the price a bit if they'd fill it up a bit more. Despite the price, we had an outstanding stay.

I loved the way we were treated. Howard Gregory, you are the absolute best! He was the waiter on duty for the afternoons and never failed to trudge the path to the pool to make sure we had everything we needed.

The meals were tasty - especially those offering a local flair. I loved the Pico Bonito fish (sea bass spiced and cooked perfectly) and the tamale with jalapeño sauce. It'd be nice to have some snack food on hand for purchase in the gift shop or at the desk. I was sooo stuffed and would have been happy with something a little lighter for lunch, but the staff was very accommodating in letting me order fresh fruit for dinner or lunch.

Santos was our guide for the early morning bird walk where I added 26 more birds to my life list including the Great Potoo - interesting looking bird that I never would have spotted on my own.

The loop trail hike was steep, but beautiful and the side trip hike into Mermaid Falls was very pleasant. Crystal clear and chilly water to swim in.

We especially enjoyed just sitting by the pool or on the deck and admiring the grounds and watching the birds. Absolutely loved the night noises - especially the frogs.

Don't bother with the AC. The evenings cool off nicely and the ceiling fans and screened windows offer plenty of cooling.

1 Thank kdap
Our dear Howard is also one of our favorite waiters; he is always prompt with a smile and ready to accommodate the smallest requests from our guests.
Have an excellent day!