The Lodge and Spa at Pico Bonito
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in La Ceiba
Reviewed 16 February 2014

What a lovely hotel!
It is one of the small luxury hotels of the world and the room, to be fair, is not what you expect for this level of hotel. It is reasonably sized, but the bathroom is very small and the room is very dimly lit, however ......
The grounds are beautiful, extensive and well maintained, the staff are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble, the four poster bed is extraordinarily comfortable ( definitely worth paying the premium for the best room) and the restaurant is first class, not only for the superb food ( try the coffee and chile coated steak - to die for) but the service really is first class.
In that regard I must make particular mention of "Super" Mario, the best waiter, and superb barman Danilo, both of whom seemed to be able to find you anywhere in the grounds to offer libation.
Because you are in a rain forest, do not be surprised if your clothes feel a bit damp, they soon dry out !
Whilst here try the Cuero y Salado refuge trip. You certainly see more wildlife in Costa Rica, but this is so relaxed and gentle and you see the real Hondurous. You also receive an a la carte meal in the excellent Pico Bonito restaurant ( 3 courses, but it was far too much for us)
We are delighted we chose Pico Bonito and thoroughly recommend it to other travellers.
By the way, forget the nonsense you read about security in Hondurous, we have felt justifiably safe throughout our stay in this this wonderful country
Get here before tourism spoils it

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Gabriel C, General Manager at The Lodge and Spa at Pico Bonito, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Friends,

We appreciate your good comments. Our mission is to make your stay memorable by making the ordinary extraordinary. We are delighted to know that we have accomplished it.

We hope that you will make us a preferred destination in your travels, and return to our little piece of paradise.

Regards from the entire team at Pico Bonito.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

This Lodge is a find! I would highly recommend, it is in a beautiful setting with lots of activities to do both at and near by to the Lodge. We were there for 5 nights as we did their reef, rainforest & ruins package (which I would highly recommend as well, you spend 2 additional nights in Copan) but you could easily fill a week here. Wish we had more time as we were on the go non-stop.

The guides are top notch, a special thank you to Santiago, Elmer & Ezdras. The staff make you feel welcome and overall the food is good, but could have more local dishes available on the menu. The rooms are comfortable with ceiling fans and AC but with the humidity things tend to stay damp...but this is normal for any rainforest location so one should expect this. Loved the hammock on the deck, great place to just relax and listen to nature. We had a stand alone cabin which was very nice, also quite. I know many of the cabins are attached to another cabin and I did hear some others complaining about noise...so you may want to request one that is not attached if possible.

The birding is wonderful here, I have never seen so many types of hummingbirds, plus there are many other types of birds as well. This is especially a great place if you are into photography. I would recommend: the day trip to Cayos Cochinos (great snorkeling & the reefs are some of the best preserved I've seen), the day trip to Refugio Cuero y Salado/Ferrocarril National, and the early morning bird watching at the Lodge (ask for Santiago as your guide...you won't be disappointed!). The only activity that we did that I wouldn't recommend is the hike to the "unbelievable falls" unless you really are in shape...so don't let them tell you it is easy..it isn't!

As a side note we felt very safe in Honduras...I mention this as I was asked about safety in Honduras by a number of people. Don't be concerned about to travelling to this beautiful country!

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin that is not attached to another.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for the wonderful comments. We appreciate the kind words and are delighted that we were able to make your experience memorable.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

This is a lovely lodge in a wonderful setting under the mountain range.the gardens are beautiful, bounded by fast flowing rivers.The rooms are all in the forest and very secluded, surprisingly no mosquitos.
The dining room provided very good food, and the staff there were helpful and pleasant.There is a good trail system, and the gardens have many different species of birds, agoutis are seen frequently too.
The rooms are very comfortable with fans and AC, but could do with upgrading in the bathroom area. The rooms tended to feel a bit damp and musty.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank llewellynroger
Gabriel C, General Manager at The Lodge and Spa at Pico Bonito, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Reviewed 19 January 2014

This place is a real piece of heaven in a very beautiful part of the world. Though you can do adventurous activities from here, just relaxing in the gardens or by the pool and watching the hummingbirds whilst sipping a delicious cocktail was just as enjoyable.

I felt safe, well looked after and almost pampered during my 2 nights's stay. The staff are welcoming and very helpful. The rooms are beautiful and to drift off to sleep with the sounds of the jungle outside was quite an experience. Great restaurant too with a good menu and reasonably priced.

I traveled alone and it was fine but I imagine it would be best for couples, bird/nature lovers and families too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Alli C
Gabriel C, General Manager at The Lodge and Spa at Pico Bonito, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Friends,

Regards from the entire team at Pico Bonito.

Gabriel Cambon

Reviewed 11 January 2014

The grounds are lovely, the staff is well trained,and the security is good. This is the nicest property overall in which I have stayed in Honduras, but I would not classify it as "luxury." Don't misunderstand, as we did, that trips to town are complimentary; there is a $40 charge. Pick up and drop off at the La Ceiba airport was complimentary, however.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gabriel C, General Manager at The Lodge and Spa at Pico Bonito, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We decided to go to the resort for some hiking and did the loop trail several times, had a bit of rain. To hike other trails you need to pay to go there, totally my fault, I misunderstood when I asked if there was lots of hiking at the resort.
Seen a few birds and a white face monkey, lots of snakes and frogs. They also have a fair amount of feeders for hummingbirds, seen 3 different types. Brought bug spray but seemed ineffective or possibly I should have brought some with a higher deet content.
On the way to the resort, a lot of people with guns. Mostly military or body guards. We didn't have any problems.
Restaurant was staffed with very nice men who went out of their way to serve you, even when large groups from other resorts were visiting. They asked each day your plans and seemed interested in how your hikes went.
Had a big swim pool but was not heated so a bit to cold to swim in for us, children were in and out of it, so they enjoyed it. A suggestion: you might get a room with air conditioning, even if you think you don't need it, just to get the dampness out of your clothes and electronics. It also helps so you can shut your windows to keep the noise level down from neighbors. They do have robes in the rooms, and change the towels daily. They don't seem to dry in the room due to humidity.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gabriel C, General Manager at The Lodge and Spa at Pico Bonito, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for the great review. We will be happy to take all your comments into consideration.

We are delighted that you had a unique experience at the Lodge at Pico Bonito.

We hope to see you soon in our little piece of paradise in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I had never thought of visiting Honduras but I am a beginning birder and I saw an ad for Pico Bonito Lodge in my Audubon Magazine. I logged on and found LuxuryLink.com, an auction site for high-end lodging. To my surprise, I won 5 nights for two plus other amenities at Pico Bonito Lodge.

After I looked up Honduras, to see where I was heading, I discovered that the lodge was perfectly located to explore the North Eastern area of Honduras. Mayan ruins, colonial towns and barrier reef islands were all within reach and transportation of every kind was available to get me around with Pico Bonito Lodge being the center location of all my travels.

Although I had won lodging for 2, I traveled solo and I had a once-in-a-life-time experience with Pico Bonito Lodge being at the top of it! I had been traveling for 5 days before I came to the lodge and I thought I had landed in nirvana. The eco-friendly lodge is on a very secluded and private track of land. The hotel entry was grand, with a large, wood-timbered lodge tastefully decked out for the holidays. Greeted with a drink, I had them add rum, and escorted to my spacious cabin, I was grinning from ear to ear as I cozied down into my very private space. The bed alone was bigger then the rooms at the 2 hotels I had previously stayed at and those, were very roomy!

Ezdras and Sandro, my guides, took me for a hike on the loop trail on my first day. Even though we got drenched (I was offered an umbrella) in the down pour, their upbeat attitude and love of birds was contagious. I was laughing when I returned to my cabin, wetter then I have ever been before (I live in the Pacific NW) and enjoying myself immensely!

Ezdras was also my birding guide on the second day and he proved to be an amazing young man and an excellent birder. We spent the morning, until we got rained out, identifying birds. Later that day we continued hiking on the bird trails and by the end of the afternoon we had identified over 35 species! I got photos of 12 of them and kept track of them in the birding guide that they offer at their gift shop.

I stayed in cabin 20 and loved it! It is far enough away from the main lodge to feel secluded yet close enough to find your way back after dark. Gravel paths keep your feet dry during the rain showers and the covered porches were great to sit out on rain or shine. Comfort, beauty, great food and a helpful staff are what one can expect at Pico Bonito Lodge, second only to the excellent birding that prevails at this special place.

If birding is not your thing, there is a lovely butterfly house and serpentarium!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank MaritaJohnsIsland
Gabriel C, Gerente at The Lodge and Spa at Pico Bonito, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014