“Was a great trip!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in La Ceiba
alliston ON
“Was a great trip!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2008

We stayed for one week. We booked last minute and did the room upgrade.

ROOMS
The rooms were great - normal for caribbean all Incl. Met some awesome people on our trip. Tippped the hotel staff and even had our clothes folded.
Hotel didnt have much of a "nightlife" so if you're loooking to PARTY...wouldnt recommend.

BEACH
The beach was very nice. We walked for hours. Was very nice even to little town down the way - Sambo Creek - If you bring used clothes or items for people there dont hand them out until you're about to walk back or you'll get swarmed. Very cute and needy. Took about an hour to get there. Bring water.
Didnt have any problems with beach bugs. Wear sunscreen.

STAFF
Very friendly and tried hard.

FOOD
Average. A la cart was ok. The asian one...meh

DAY TRIPS
Heard they were all good. The Zip lining was AWESOME. We loved it and Im afraid of heights. The price was great too. Also did th mud bath there.
The WHite Water rafting we also did. Was fun. great tour guides there.
We did a city trip and went to market and the mall on our own. Was ok.
I also volunteered some time at near by orphanage. I sponsor a child and taught some highland dancing. This was a great place to bring items for donations and a life changing experience. Want info? Email me.

Overall very good trip. We try to go south once a year. Have been all over. This was one place I return to.

From Maggie and Jason
Age 28, 29

Canada

3 Thank magoo21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Toronto, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2008

We just returned from a week at the Palma Real Resort in La Ceiba, Honduras. The trip was intended to be a reprieve from all the snow and we booked it at the very last minute. I wouldn't recommend staying in the Caribe section, as it is far from the food in the main building and involves alot of walking back and forth. We had no water one day but it was fixed fairly quickly. The toilet never worked all week and we stood in alot of cold (clean) water in the bathroom during our entire time there. My husband was very sick and the doctor never did come, despite a few calls to the main reception desk. The phone went dead. No one asked about his health later on so I get the feeling that the staff probably don't keep records of these kinds of calls. I personally had diarrhea that lasted 5 out of the 7 days. I was never able to determine what caused it. My husband was very sick a day after we returned and was told he had a parasite. I want to be clear that most people seemed to be having a wonderful time. You have to remember it's a third world country. The people were very hospitable and were doing the best they can. I would recommend this venue to university students on break, or families with small children. I would consider going again but would do my homework about diarrhea cures and what not to eat at the buffet.

• Liked — The beach, pool, optional tours were great value
  • Disliked — plumbing, getting sick
3 Thank Siamesecatmom

Travellers are raving about these La Ceiba hotels

Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2008

My friends and I just stayed at the Palma Real in La Ceiba, Honduras...actually this is my second stay in the last two months. We had a wonderful time, the food was great, especially lunch and the Italian restaurant was delicious!! The rooms we stayed in were spacious and clean, the beach was nice, not overcrowded at all. The staff were super friendly, all of them...they made people feel very welcome there. The entertainment was fun and definetly upbeat...they were amazing... it was a great time and I'd totally recommend it.

• Liked — The staff
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Karla63
Brampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2008

I was there the last week of February and had a wonderful time there. The weather was great with one day with rain. Staff was excellent, resort was very clean, the food was much better than Cuba. Always tons of fruit. When they ran out of a dish, they were a little slow to refill that dish. There was always other food available and you could go back and refill your plate when they replenished. The excursions were well priced and very enjoyable. I went on the Canopy tour and hot springs as well as the city tour and shopping in Le Ceiba. I would definitely go back there and have recommended this resort to my sister in law.

• Liked — quiet and relaxing when you wanted it to be.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Honduran_Mom
Hamilton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2008

Honduras is a gem waiting to be discovered!!! We stayed at the Palma Real Beach Resort from February 18th - March 3rd, and had a wonderful vacation. The excursions are a must for everyone. We did the city tour to La Ceiba, went to the Cayo Cachinos Islands where there is wonderful snorkeling and food.
If you can fly into Roatan for the day, you won't be dissapointed.
Visit West End and West Bay while you are there. The snorkeling is phenomenal and the shopping is great there. My husband did the zip-line and loved it. Be sure to give it a try. I have to strongly disagree with some of the reviews I've read. This resort does not lack in managerial skills. They went out of their way to accomodate any of our needs. If you show them a little common courtesy and respect, you will be treated well. A special thank you to our conquest rep Sandra, who went above and beyond, to help us. Dorothy from the tourist office helped greatly with accomodating any needs for the tours. Also thanks to Oscar and Miguel and to all whose names I don't remember. The food at the buffet was very good and not repititious even in the second week. The a la carte restaraunts (Italian and Asian) were top notch. If you are overly picky you may not like it as much as we did. Go with an open mind and you will have a blast!!!!!!
Pete and Marie-Hamilton,Ontario,Canada

• Liked — We were 24 steps away from the pool.
  • Disliked — Lack of hot water on occasion, but they worked to fix the problem.
5 Thank HamiltonAdonis
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2008

What a fantastic time ...

5 of us were in La Cieba for the week of February 11th to the 18th. Except for one of us taking the flu bug with her from Toronto - none of us got sick at all. The food was great - lots of variety - especially the local fruit. Breakfast - you could have oatmeal, cold cereal, yoghurt, fruit - eggs any style (made to order) or pancakes, french toast, bacon ham .. whatever.
Lunch - all the trays were full again - and for suppers - they had theme nights. My favourites were Italian (lasagna was good) and the Mexican night (enchiladas, and everything). We didn't try the a la cartes - the Buffet was great for all of us.

Rooms - no complaints - they were clean, we had hot and cold water, 97% of the time - so you wait 1/2 hour and it's back on - whoopppee you're on vacation. take a breath and relax. They do need more hangars though (ha ha). My room, out of the 3 for our group was the only one with a safe - but they have safety deposit boxes at the front desk too - so not a HUGE deal (as some people made it). The hotel even provided a mini fridge in one room, as one of our group is a diabetic. Fresh bottles of water in your room every day - and water coolers placed all over the hotel and grounds.

Entertainment or 'Animation' group needs a little work, but they have only been together as a group for a little over 6 months. You can tell they are enthusiastic and are trying very hard. They really try to get everyone involved with Aqua-aeorobics, beach volleyball, spanish lessons, dance lessons - karaoke and they run the disco at night. They are very overworked - at the hotel from 8am (ish) to 1am(ish) after the disco closes. They welcome all suggestions whole heartedly.

ZipLines / Canape Tour - if you get the chance GO!!! I am not a lightweight by any means, and with a little effort I got onto every single line - 18 in total. The poor little guides that had to lift me - I gave them a big tip at the end. It is amazing!! what a rush - and then the Hot Springs and mud bath afterward is sooo cool !! For $45US it is very much worth it. Especially compared to other tours in other countries.

Make sure you take US Dollars with you - they don't take Cdn. - and take a lot of $1 for tipping.

I will definately go again in 4 or 5 years to see how they progress. I learned that this hotel has only been doing the All Inclusive for 4 years - so it will be interesting to see again.

The only thing I would say that to some travellers may turn them off is that you cannot flush your toilet paper - you leave it in the can and the maid cleans it away. Remember people - you are in a third world country - so maybe the plumbing isn't up to Ontario standards - if that's what you are looking for 4* in Ontario - then stay in Ontario! If you have an open mind and an adventurous side - then GO TO LA CIEBA. I hear that a short trip away to Roatan Island - you will find one of the World's top places to scuba dive too!!!

• Liked — right on the beach - hotel was close to the tours
  • Disliked — check out time was 6am
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
7 Thank JustDucky6464
stouffville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2008

This is an old resort that needs major repairs. There was no water for three days.
The grounds are beautiful and the staff are excellent.
The beach is nice however the water is very sandy due to the constant wave action.
The food is the worst I have ever experienced at an all inclusive resort.
The tour operators at the resort offer many excursions that are very well run. The island tour was very good as well as the zip line.
If your idea of a vacation is horrible food, drunken tourists and
not being able to have a shower, this is the resort for you.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — everything else
    • 1 of 5 bubbles