“We loved it!”

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in La Ceiba
Thornhill, Canada
“We loved it!”
Reviewed 21 March 2008

Great country, wonderful people, clean, quite, comfortable resort, variety of food, hot sunny weather, a lot of activities for children, great trips for fare price, relaxing atmosfire.
We are really happy to spend 2 weeks vacation there! Give it a try!!!

2 Thank 1w1w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Toronto
Reviewed 19 March 2008

My wife, daughter and I just got back from a great vacation at the Palma Real in La Ceiba over March break.

Overall, the hotel was good and contrary to some of the negative reviews about the hotel, food and particularly the staff, we found that the hotel and food were decent and that the staff were quite efficient and service was good. From our observations, all the staff were extremely hard working. For those who like to complain and accentuate negativity, it is not complicated, treat people with respect and expect the same treatment to be reciprocated to you.

We have been all over the Caribbean at several different resorts, but we are not ones to write reviews. However, we felt that we had to write a review this time, particularly, in relation to the zip-line canopy excursion and the plight of the horses used to transport tourists up the mountains to where the zip-lines begin.

The zip-line canopy excursion is a must and is clearly a big attraction for tourists choosing either Honduras or Costa-Rica as a vacation destination. Readers will also note from other reviews that this is a great excursion recommended by virtually everyone that goes on it.

The zip-line excursion is indeed great, but I feel a moral obligation to inform readers who plan on doing this excursion about the sorrowful plight of the horses. We decided to go on the zip-line excursion, and the horse that I was riding on lost its footing, twisting its front legs inwards and ending up on its knees in a position that I can only imagine was excruciating for the poor horse. I immediately got off the horse. The guides, who are simply amazing, tried to help the horse get back on its feet, but unfortunately, the horse panicked and flipped to his side and rolled into a ditch, where he was stuck, helplessly lying on his neck and back and unable to move out. The guides did everything they could to help the poor horse. I will not get into further details, but the readers will appreciate that it was simply heart wrenching and horrifying to see this poor creature helplessly stuck in a three feet wide ditch. Although I am probably much smaller in size than the average tourist I personally feel responsible for the horse and am unable to forgive myself for ever having mounted the horse in the first place.

Oftentimes, these poor horses are carrying overweight tourists up the mountain on paths that are not meant for horses to be going on. It is evident that the horses are under a tremendous amount of strain and are exerting themselves to ascend the steep muddy paths with their heavy loads. Not only are the horses suffering, but clearly, there is a great amount of danger that riders are also being exposed to. One wrong step on the part of the horse, and both the horse and rider could roll and come falling down a steep ravine. These horses are not big and strong like North American horses, and are not meant to carry heavy riders up the mountains on unpaved paths. I would urge everyone planning on doing this excursion to do some serious “soul searching” before mounting the horse for the fairly steep trek up to the zip-lines. By all means, do the excursion, but spare the poor horses and walk up to the zip-lines. I would also urge the owners of the company offering the zip-line excursion, to no longer use these poor horses to haul tourists up the zip-lines, but instead offer a reduced rate and have the tourists walk up to where the zip-lines begin. Alternatively, the tour company should build proper paths to allow 4 wheel drive vehicles to transport tourists to the top of the mountains. Yet another suggestion would be to pave the paths to make them more stable and safer, and get bigger and stronger horses to carry riders up to the zip-lines.

I spoke to several other tourists, one of them a lady that owns three horses, and almost everyone I spoke to that had also done the zip-line excursion, whole-heartedly agreed that the conditions are not ideal for these poor horses to be carrying riders up such loose unpaved paths.

The zip-lines itself are quite amazing, but I must point out that the guides who accompany the riders are simply fantastic. These guys are truly amazing and I cannot rave enough about how good they are. Not only are they experts on the zip-lines, but they are extremely responsible and caring and would come in harms way themselves if it meant protecting the tourists. The guides are so good that my wife and I felt completely comfortable letting our 7 year old daughter go on the zip-lines with one of them.

Munir, Toronto Mar 19, 2008

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank mfln
Toronto
Reviewed 18 March 2008

Just returned from a fabulous trip with my girlfriend, her 10 yr. old daughter and my 9 yr. old daughter. I don't get some of these negative reviews..this hotel had it all..the animation group had the best choreographed dance performances I've seen. fun, fun fun and strangely not at all what we were looking for so a real bonus (every night at Teatro Ola Ola). We were looking for a relaxing, easy, beautiful ocean view with great food and great people..and that's exactly what we received...by the way for those who complain about plumbing issues..don't put your toilet paper in the toilet..its a developing country, it goes in the garbage can..We couldn't have asked for anything more..the canopy zip line trip was unbelievable...we still are raving about it..this spot is a gem!

5 Thank TorontoRitarose
Ontario
Reviewed 15 March 2008

We just returned March 10th from the most amazing holiday ever. My son, daughter, their father and myself enjoyed an amazing trip. We stayed in the main section of the hotel in a Superior room. Although simple it was more than adequate as we really didn't spend much time in our room. The housekeeping staff did a great job, keeping the rooms spotless and supplied with lots of bottled water and plenty of towels and supplies. We never had any problems with water or plumbing. Our room looked onto the beautiful pool area and was equipped with an in room safe.

The exceptional Animation staff kept us busy with the many activities going on each day. Once they got to know us they would come looking for my daughter, son and myself to join into Beach Volleyball, Pool Tournaments, Ping Pong, Aqua Aerobics, Dance Lessons and Walks along the Beach. Dancarrie, Alloneus, Byron 1 & 2, Alex, Catherine, Mercedes and Erica to name a few were amazing. Each night they put on a dance show and always tried to involve the guests in dancing on stage. They loved to teach their dances but it was way more fun to watch them. Did they now how to dance!!

The excursions were fairly inexpensive and well organized especially the Canopy Tour/Zip Line. The only downside to this tour were the poor horses. My son refused to ride the horses up the mountain and he and I walked up instead. It's a bit of a hike but well worth it to spare the poor horses. They go up the mountain twice a day and they definitely work too hard. Afterwards we all went to the natural hot spring and had a mud bath. What fun!!

We all enjoyed the food in the main Dining room. There were so many vegetables, salads, theme dishes prepared to order, fruit and delicious desserts. We only went to the Ala Cart dinner once and although it was really good we preferred the variety and choice of foods available at the Buffet.

We had a great holiday and I highly recommend it. We met many wonderful people. Everybody was extremely friendly and we got to know quite a few of our fellow travelers. All age groups were present and it seemed that everybody had a great time

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No control on the airconditioner
4 Thank brensmith52
Eastern ontario
Reviewed 14 March 2008

I stayed at the Palma Real Resort Feb 18-25 2008, with my sister and a friend.I have been travelling for many years, to several different countries, always staying at 4 star resorts and have never had a complaint until now.
Rating this resort as a 4 star is very misleading. The conditions are deplorable!! This resort has serious water, plumbing and mold problems. We went 3 days without water in our room unable to shower, flush the toilet or wash our hands after using the facilities. .After much complaining we were finally given another room (on the fifth day of our vacation)in the main area of the resort. We did have water here,from 6am-midnight (however there was only one temperature scalding) We were told the resort shuts the water off at these times to fill the swimming pools!
This resort is very spread out . We were in the Carribe section before moving to the main section,which is about a 1/4 mile walk from the main building(there is a shuttle, a tractor pulling a wagon but there isn't a schedule and you don't see it very often ) where the only buffet is. This buffet is more like a cafeteria, one long table and you can stand in line up to 20 minutes .The food isn't very appealing and is repetative. The food at the 2 A La Cartes(Asian and Italian)is good but you are only aloud 3 sittings .
This is the first resort I have been at where the staff are aloud to help themselves to the guests' food and often food runs out and isn't always replenished.
There are 2 bars for the whole resort and usually only 1 bartender, again line-ups. The bar in the Carribe section closes at 8pm. So if you want a drink after that you walk the 1/4 mile to the main section to stand in line.
On the upside Honduras is a beautiful country and the beaches are pristine. The grounds and pools at the Palma Real Resort are lovely and well maintained, unfortunately I can't say the same for the hotel.
It should be condemned and closed until the serious problems are rectified.

4 Thank Deltadawn_8

Travellers are raving about these La Ceiba hotels

brantford
Reviewed 12 March 2008

for two weeks we visited hondouras which is a beautiful country. stayed at palma real resort . we loved the complex, it was just beautifull with flowers,hedges, trees and vegetation . place was kept very clean. rooms where primative, no extras but kept clean. we did not mind as we spent very little time in our room as there was so manyinteresting things happening there . walking the beach was so interesting as we came across a village called sambo creek. we visited in the village , met lots of nice people with smiles and watched as ladies with baskets of clothes would stop at the river just outside of village to wash their clothes, very interesting. kids would crowd around you and would ham it up when you took their picture. it was interesting to take with you chicklets or gum or some little thing for childeren. we just loved it. they have a walk every morning for anyone who wants to go up the beach to sambo creek. a really spetacular tour was the canopy tour which you ride horses up the mountain to where zip lines are . these are cables that they hook you on with a harness and send you sailing out over the rainforest. this is an adrenaline filled adventure, there is 18 lines. i started out almost not doing this because i was afraid of heights and i an so glad i did. they have several other tours that are really great to go on. the animation group also made our visit so interesting . these young people put on fantastic shows for us. they also involved the audience especialy the childeren. these young people have so much talent and they don"t even know it. during the day they gave you dance lessons which were so much fun, they played vollryball on the beach and in pool with you, excercise>s in pool, walks, the disco they also mixed with you with their music and danncing that we just loved. they also joined in with our music with kareoky. this is a little long as ther e is other things i could tell you about. as you can tell we had a fantastic time every day we were there. i would go back and recomend this spot to anyone that would like a more primative place and that was what we liked. food was really great especialy their fresh fruit lots of it .

4 Thank anngirling
ontario
Reviewed 11 March 2008

A group of 18 of us travelled to this resort with fear of the unknown! After reading many reviews we were somewhat sceptical and worried about our destination choice. However we had a wonderful vacation. Rigo the bar tender at the standard rooms was fantastic, he made our stay top notch.
I would however say this resort is not a 4 but more a three, and I say this because it needs to work its way to a 4, there is a lot of work needed to make this a 4 star resort, the water issues, the travel from standard to the rest of the resort(not that we minded these things but in a 4 star you expect a certain quality)........we enjoyed our stay despite any of the flaws that may have been present. We did have a few sick bellys but you could attribute this to the sun as well, it is intense! If your looking for the adventure and some amazing tours this is the place for you it is a beautiful country, and the City of La Ceiba is worth the travel to, the food on the resort was not the best we got our hands on peanut butter at the grocery store and it came in handy! others loved the food it is simply a matter of preference. If you go say hello to Rigo from us......:)

• Liked — I loved the views, and the service at the standard rooms bar.
  • Disliked — food.
3 Thank pardyx5