“Hotel is ok but owner is very unfriendly and rude”
Review of Hotel Canadien

Hotel Canadien
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Ceiba
Hotel Canadien
Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in La Ceiba
Las Vegas
“Hotel is ok but owner is very unfriendly and rude”
Reviewed 26 February 2007

My girlfriend and I just finished a stay at the Hotel Canadien outside of La Ceiba, Honduras. The grounds are pleasant enough and the rooms are simple but clean. There is no television or internet available.
My girlfriend is a local resident and she personally went to the hotel to make reservations and also went there 3 days before we were to stay to confirm. When we arrived, however, our reservations no longer existed even though she saw the worker write our names on the list. The owner happened to be standing there and was bragging about how the hotel was almost full and that he would only save our room if we paid for the whole stay upfront and in cash. I wonder how he can reserve rooms for others over the phone or internet when they do not even have credit card service. We opted to pay each day and sometimes it was hard to find the office worker. One time we were looking for the guy in the office to pay for the day and the office was locked. A worker that was hanging around told us he might be upstairs and that we had to go look for him. We told him that we are at the office right now and that we don't need to be looking for him so he reluctantly went up to get him. Also, this owner is unfriendly and rude, he would not even acknowledge us or even say hello when we would pass each other.
The hotel rules state that there is to be NO NOISE after 10 pm but on the first night of our stay the people above us had several kids that were making lots of noise well after 11:30 so I had to get dressed and go to the office to complain.
They have a cute white faced monkey in a cage at the end of one of the buildings and it is fun to watch it for a while but also sad because they have a rusty chain tied around it's waist.
They have two pools. One of them seemed to be clean but the other had very cloudy water. At the gate through the fence to get to the beach there are people waiting to hassle you for money when you go out. The beach is marginal and uncrowded and the water is murky in this area.
We did not use the restaurant.
Overall this place is ok if all you want is a simple clean room to stay in but don't mind non-existant service and a rude owner.

• Liked — Clean room and plenty of hot water
  • Disliked — rude and unfriendly service
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
8 Thank southbound1969

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Canada
Reviewed 12 January 2007

The site is enchanting, There are 40 rooms not 22, and there are 2 pools. What I love about the site is that it is not croweded. I slept in what is called the new section, it offers a better view of the ocean because the palm trees still have not matured. The food is simple but good. I had a chance to visit the kitchens... they are immaculate!!!!!!!!! This hotel is VERY clean. The staff at night is difficult to find until 8:00 in the morning when the kitchen opens. That I think is the biggest draw back.. You can only get food from 8:00 in the morning to 6:30 pm or (7:00pm friday and sat.) As an alternative each room is equiped with a small fridge which allows you to store food. If you like to drink and party I do not recomend this hotel, because the owners have a policy of NO NOISE after 10:00 pm. I highly recommend this hotel if you want to relax in an enchanting place. I don't believe the prices will continue to be this low. The Owners are really nice people though I have heard them voice there opinions :). One of the best hotels in the area!! I'll go there again. [--]

• Liked — The place
  • Disliked — Eating hours
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring night entertianment....
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank QuebecCanada
Tisdale, Saskatchewan
Reviewed 10 June 2006

I have stayed at the hotel Canadien every year for the past 7 years. I lead humanitarian work teams to Honduras and have found Jeanette and her staff to be very kind and helpful. The rooms are always clean, more than comfortable and the food is great. The setting for the hotel is wonderful. The pool is enjoyable and being right on the ocean is marvelous. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to enjoy a relaxing time away from the city of La Ceiba.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank aimhonduras
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 April 2006

I spent 6 days at the Hotel Canadien at Sambo Creek in Honduras and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Unfortunately it was around the busy Easter Holiday and most hotels were booked up so iI did not have another hotel to move to.
Service is practically non existent, and if you're lucky enough to do find someone to help I would say the help is incompetent and very rude. The owners of the hotel set the tone by yelling at me in front of other guests that I'm a thief...believe me this was very upsetting as I have never stolen anything in my life and I'm not about to start stealing in Honduras!
The 70 year old owner of the hotel is probably overworked in the kitchen and she vents her stress by complaining to guests all the time. not exactly my idea of an enjoyable stay.
There are much better hotels in that area, do not waste your time and money at the Hotel Canadien.

27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member