“A Safe Stay in La Ceiba”
Review of Gran Hotel Paris

Gran Hotel Paris
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in La Ceiba
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We were en route to Roatan and needed a place for the night. We were pleasantly surprised by the Gran Hotel Paris. Although it was in the central part of the city we had a safe and quiet night. I have read negative comments about the quality of the beds...ours was very satisfactory. The room was clean, supplies of soap, shampoo, and toilet paper were generous. The internet was available and working. We thought the service was friendly and helpful. I think the big draw of this place is the setting. The rooms are built around a central pool and the thatched shelters add a tropical charm. Our meals were a bit disappointing. I think the buffet breakfast would have been a wiser choice as the Continental breakfast was disappointing. For a one night stay it was great.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ibunning

Reviewed 1 February 2011

the gran hotel paris has a good central location, right opposite the town square. it's in decent condition (showers and linens are so-so) and the hotel is fine for my purposes (one night stays, prior to catching the ferry to utila or for a shopping trip to la ceiba). i certainly wouldn't stay here for a vacation, nor would i stay in la ceiba for one.
as some previous reviewers have stated the best part of the hotel is the pool and bar, that's why most people who come back as return guests are there.
i think the main selling points of this hotel are that its reasonably safe, has a pool and is cheaper than the la quinta real at the beach.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank divenuts
Reviewed 11 December 2010

The best reason to stay at the Gran Hotel Paris is that you are going to or coming from Plantation Beach Resort on Los Cayos Cochinos. This is the hotel at which you will be picked up and where you will be dropped off so it is very convenient. It is located in the centre of town, has free wifi in the lobby (which reaches up to my second floor deck), has a nice pool, and feels like an oasis. I am a solo woman traveler and feel quite safe and secure here. The staff have been helpful and the public areas are pleasant spaces. My room is very basic (double bed, TV, air conditioning, tile floors, bathroom) but it is clean and comfortable. I am paying 655 lempiras for one night because I was a guest at Plantation Beach Resort. I am not on a tight budget so this seems quite reasonable to me.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank VillaStraylight
Reviewed 23 February 2010

If you stay at the Gran in LaCieba, the hotel showers are dangerous because of there is a four inch high tile sourrounding the shower floor and drain, the curtian hangs inside and you can not see it, It is easy to trip and fall. which I did and it could have been disaster. The beds are old and smell. The air conditioner did not work and those that did made so much noise it was impossible to sleep. Most of the staff are nice and helpful but others just don't give a dam. No TP in the room, No hot water, and the food is cooked somewhere else and carried to the restrauant and is always cold and their meals have been exactly the same for years. very high priced too. The only thing good is the BAR and pool which is always clean. but kids pee in it. The internet connection is there but does not work most of the time. It is just ok but overly priced for what you get.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I stayed in this hotel for business purposes and was shocked by the poor quality of the rooms and services. I could have lived with this if it would have been a cheap hotel, but at a price of more than 700 HNL per night, this is just not acceptable.
- There is no wifi in the rooms (even the cheapest hostels in Honduras have this).
- Airco was very loud and had a bad smell
- No hot water in the bathroom

Even worse, when I complained just after checking in (I wanted to check-out immediately, have my money back and search a different hotel), the responsible was very unfriendly and even refused to pay back the night.

This is my last night in this hotel, and I definitely do not recommend it for business purposes!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2009

As a solo woman traveler I felt that the staff at Gran Hotel Paris took good care of me. I was there August 7 - 10, 2009. The political climate is a bit tense of late so I chose GHP since it is centrally located. This was my second stay at the hotel in the last couple of years. I walked around town without incident. I particularly like this hotel's location since I can walk to the Standard Fruit Company park with the bronze animals and the trains. Also, it is easy to go to the Paiz supermarket for some items. The breakfast at the hotel is great, especially the french toast and the O.J. Free internet at the computer in the lobby with a fast connection. Helpful front desk staff too. I'll return again when I visit La Ceiba.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank trueann
Reviewed 5 June 2009

We stayed in this hotel a couple of times on our way to and from Roatan.
Our experience is just the opposite of Cassiewithbag's - we spent one night at the Quinta Real but moved into town as we found that hotel too far from the centre.
Though the outside is drab and dated, the rooms are comfortable, clean and adequate, good value we thought. Lots of building work was going on during the day but as we were out on trips we didn't find this a problem.
There's a great coffee shop next door which serves the best coffee we had in all of the Americas, including Seattle!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple