“Worst hotel on the planet.”

Quinta Real Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in La Ceiba
Reviewed 14 December 2008

I swear I would have been better off sleeping in the street. While the staff is curtious, it is clear that no money has been reinvested since the place opened a year or two back. Paint is flaking off the cinder block walls, Faucets are corroding and the plastic bathtubs in the rooms look uncleanable. The room I was in didn't have a remote for the TV. The desk said they didn't have anymore? But just for fun and giggles, the channel down button actualy turned the TV off, as did the two or three power outages that evening.

The icing on the cake though was the campanchero music blasting away all night from the empty bar next door, then the kitchen banging pots at 5AM. The designers had clearly ignored the possibility that anyone might go there intending to sleep. I left at 5:30AM and found a quiet coffee shop in town, then got a nice room at the Paris Hotel for $36 a night

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike2008Roatan

Reviewed 8 December 2008

I thought this was a top class hotel. Although the staff was okay the rest was fatal.

I ask for a steak at the restaurant and it was worse than eating a shoe, I don't know if the meat was old or not being properly fridged. My wife had shrimp, that would had been a better choice if it would have tasted good Eeeewww. If you stay there try the next door restaurant which is excellent, bit loud but good food. Luckily our room was not even near that restaurant, so the noise didn't bother, but my cousins had a terrible time switching rooms. Rooms are very small too.
The massage was late and fair. The massage room is damn scary no bigger the elevator. Guess what!! Only certain rooms have internet access and on wire!! not enough I guess. There are more hotels with sea-view and with wireless access from the rooms. Do yourself a favor a beware of this Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank joes4056
Reviewed 19 October 2008

we stay at Quinta Real Hotel for a week and every day was pleasant, the staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful, they almost got me evething i ask for, when planning tours around the city booking for restaurants and tickets to places, the rooms were very nice, we got one overlooking the ocean, the pool is great and they have a bar right aside the pool, the restaurant was very nice and all the facilities looked very clean, there is duty free store in the lobby good for buying a present for friends they have high speed wire and wireless internet access a small but good gym, i had to send some e-mails to my company late at night but it was no problem because they have 24 hours internet service.

i will definetly stay there again at check out time the staff made me feel so good that i want it to stay more time.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank nightfox55
Reviewed 4 August 2008

I have never been to a hotel where the service was so terrible and apathetic. Everyone had a frown on all the time and were totally not helpful. No one ever, in the four days i was there, asked me if I needed or wanted something. If you wanted to order something you would have to flag down one of the staff and ask them for something and everytime you ordered a drink or food they had a sour face on and they made it seem like a big inconvenience. It seems like they dont like americans, even ones that speak fluent spanish.
the rooms are OK, but they DON"T have a safe and they dont even have clocks in the room.
Many told us this is the best hotel in la ceiba. if this is really the case, i would not even bother going to this city. It's really not worth it. We only came for a wedding, which was nice, but unfortunately one of the guests digital camera was stolen while at the reception.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2008

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).

LOCATION: Good since it’s on the beach. Probably one of the ugliest beaches I have seen.

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: Hedman Alas is the only bus company and buses are available from Tela or San Pedro Sula. There is also an airport in La Ceiba

TYPE OF ROOM:

Standard.

There is complimentary (wired only) internet in the room. The internet is faster than average. I checked out of this hotel early because the town is terrible and there were no rafting trips being offered the next day (or later that week, or even next week). The pool is nice but nothing special. I would suggest skipping La Ceiba but if you do stay here, the Quinta Real is the best in town.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2008

This is the only hotel in La Ceiba which comes near what you are used to as a Western tourist. Nice pool, entrance and restaurant. The rooms are OK. We got lucky and got a balcony facing the beach/pool. The beach is very dirty, everyone wears shoes on the beach for example. The location is perfect, close to restaurants and clubs.

The main issue we had with the hotel was breakfast. There are no restaurants in the area which serve breakfast so you must eat from their buffet. The service for the buffet is ridiculous. Food run out all the time, you get coffee at the end of your meal sometimes after asking several times. They charge us different prices every time, sometimes for extra pancakes, sometimes for going twice to the buffet and so on. Try to get the buffet included in your hotel stay and make sure it covers everything, including pancakes!!!

If we would go back to La Ceiba we would stay there again, mostly because there’s no alternative in the town.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank pjsson
Reviewed 28 May 2008

We stayed here one night before heading to Roatan. We arrived late, but had a fantastic time at the pool bar speaking with a very friendly bartender. The staff was very kind and helpful, room was clean and great view and patio! On the way home from Roatan we traveled through La Ceiba from the ferry dock and found out when we arrived there was a taxi strike. I still had the number to the hotel and they were AMAZING in helping us out with transportation back to the hotel so we could hang out by the pool and get lunch, then provided us with transportation to the airport (or as far as we could get due the bridges being blocked). I don't know what we would have done if we hadn't stayed at this hotel and without all of their help. Although I don't think this is a week long resort stay (La Ceiba is not the place to vacation), it is highly recommended for stop overs to Roatan!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple