Jungle River Lodge
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Hotel Molina(La Ceiba)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfew beerswhite water raftingthe ownerjuan carlosoverlooking the riverhikelodgeutilaelectricitycanopy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I have to laugh at the people who complain about the bugs at this place...LOL!! In case you haven't noticed, the word "Jungle" is right in the name, and you're in Honduras not on 5th Avenue. My wife and I found the same when we were there (March 2008), and the rooms were very basic and rustic, but it was all part of the experience. In fact, we have a picture of myself laying on the bed with a towel wrapped around my head (protection from creepy crawlies) looking very worried. This did not have a negative impact on our overall experience at this place.

Let me just say this, when you're chilling up on that bar deck at night, or even during the day, with a couple of pops and some cool tunes playing, it doesn't get any better than this as far as a relaxing and chilled ambiance goes, in an amazing setting on the river. I thought the staff there were very laid back and nice in every way. I highly recommend this place for anyone looking for a great place to just chill, and the rafting is a bonus. I thought the rafting all in all was quite good, although a little on the tame side when we passed through.

We did not encounter any bedbugs, btw, and our room was verrry basic and old. We weren't put off by the bugs like some people here, but they don't call us crazy canucks for no reason...ahem! I do recommend bring ear plugs though, as you're right on the river and it's very loud.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I didn't stay here but did two of the activities offered - the zip lining and the white water rafting. Both were a lot of fun and the guides were part of the whole experience! Well worth a trip and the guides really take care of you and ensure your safety.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We were really happy to be taken by a cab driver and brought directly to the lodge arriving at the ferry. The place is situated in a beautiful spot with 2 littles natural pools on the rocks, who can cliff jump to the river above. The main building made of wood is nice open air spot where you eat and meet the people visiting. Food was something very good -bbq and fish, sometimes very average -pasta. There is only one meal available but on arrival they asked us what we wanna eat and could fit what we want. Bring stuff yourself and some snack, they don't have anything in-between meals thats a bummer. But one staff could bring us some churros from a village near by on our demand. We had brought beer at fist and they offered to put it in the bar fridge to keep it cold that was nice. DONT bring your snack in your bedroom if opened or ants will find it for sure not cool at all.

We took a private cabin that was simple but ok. It way better to sleep there in the nature than in La Ceiba were there is nothing to see and is certainly more dangerous. They give free night at their dorm if you book an activity but if you choose the private room apply a rebate to price of room you pick. Dorm are super cheap 12$ but haven't seen it. Our private room was 40 but ended up only 16$ per night since we had the rebate from activities. It was not cleaned while we were there but no need for it anyway and i'm sure they would have if asked for it.

We took the whole day rafting trip. We were deceived about it it was said to be 2-3 caliber for half day and up to 4-5 rapids for whole day, but we ended up doing 3 top, and often we were getting stuck on the rocks since the river was too low. Actully the 2d part was better than the first (that was supposed to be the 4-5 part!!) If we had knew we wood have just took half day. But, we were there in feb...its not rain season...i'm sure during rain season it's really awesome. Just kinda angry they never told us it was that low first. But, we did some crazy rafting in our past so i guess for a newcomer to it it still can be pretty exciting a girl doing it with us was pretty scared when we were yawning. they stopped on the way to cliff jump a bit, so it would be a little more exciting. The guides are secure, they also stop sometimes and alaway take the time to check the river before going so its safe and ask you to floor so no ones falls. Wich is nice for security but a bummer if you want something crazier. But remember they do the same river than all other operators after all and they cost way less for the same trip. but still in that season too expensive for what it is..lets say compare to Quebec Riviere Rouge.

We did the canope, they have 8 of them, i tough i was expensive for what it is but we still had a great time. What I preferred was actually have all those talks with the guide who explained us so many things on the forest, about plants and trees, we ate termites with him -they taste like peanuts!!! and discovered so many plants. the best line is the one going above the river. Its super for a family or chill tour in the forest but if you're not scared by heights and like hardcore stuff you'll be bored.

we decided not to do the hiking we tough it was pretty expensive. We went by ourselves 15 min down the road there is Las Fincas de Los Lobos entrance you pay 40 lempiras per person to get in and you can hike yourself after walking trough the river to a small waterfall with a little natural pool, that was nice. If you go early you can get to the 300 feet waterfall by that path bu we had no time to make it.

just to chill there on the rocks having a drink and be surrounded by beautiful nature and swim in the rio is cool... even if it was not the craziest activities it certainly is the best guess around there if you don't want to spend too much, other lodges are WAY more expensive to do the same actives anyway. And its so much better to chill in the jungle than stay in the city.

Staff were nice to us and would accommodate all our needs when we ask for something we even bumped a ride with one of them to go to the cascades.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra B
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I heard about the Jungle River Lodge from a friend who went there several years ago and read about the lodge in Lonely Planet. The bunkhouse was fine but nothing fancy. I went rafting and arranged a private kayaking trip. The river sports seemed a little sketchy, although instructors gave a decent white-water safety lecture. I did not find the staff to be friendly and felt like I was bothering them whenever I asked a question or felt like I was being hit-on by younger staff. I thought the food was over-priced, so I would recommend coming with some granola bars. I did meet some other travelers, which greatly improved the experience. I also used Jungle River Tours to organize a trip to Los Cayos Cochinos (kind of expensive but totally worth it!). I would not recommend paying for the Hiking Tour because you can easily hike to the waterfall on your own from the Lodge.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We prefer staying there in the middle of the forest than in the city of La Ceiba. At that lodge, you fell safe and have a chance to talk with hondurian locals people that work there. We asked for a pricate room so no dorm for us. the room was clean with a overview on the Cangrejal River. That was great to go sleep and hear the water + birds the morning. Food was tipical and good with just one choice per meal but we likes all they had. Rafting and walking were super activities to do.

Room Tip: Private rooms are more convenience than dorms I guess.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple