“Not luxury but a very nice hotel for the price!”
Review of Metrotel Express

Metrotel Express
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in San Pedro Sula
Tennessee
“Not luxury but a very nice hotel for the price!”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This hotel has beautiful gardens and a very nice swimming pool and playground. There is also a business center with 4-5 computers. The lobby is pretty and welcoming. The rooms (we had 2 queen beds) are very clean and nice, but could be a little bit more comfortable. The A/C kept the rooms very cool in this extremely hot city. The staff is very accommodating. We needed more towels in our room and they brought them immediately.
Their Continental breakfast consisted of: white bread (for toast), bananas, watermelon, yogurt, cereal, pan dulce (pastries), and refried beans. I would have really enjoyed it had they added some corn or flour tortillas for the beans. They also offered coffee and juice. The breakfast area is nicely decorated and even has a library of books you can borrow or trade out. Very nice hotel for the price of $75 per room.

Room Tip: They do not have an elevator in this hotel-stairs only. So, if you cannot do stairs, make sure to r...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vickisuttle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Nelson, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We stayed two nights here before flying back to Canada. The front desk staff was super helpful and accommodating - gave cab drivers instructions wherever we went and upgraded our room. The room was very clean and spacious, the pool and garden area in back was awesome and provided a nice relaxing end to our trip. Good breakfast selection. We will certainly be back and as it's only a 10 min. ride from the airport would be perfect for a late night arrival on the way in. Very good value.

Room Tip: rooms on the pool side are much bigger and nicer for only a little more $
1 Thank Kim M
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We had an over night at the hotel. Very helpful staff from the front desk people to the other service staff, clean rooms, restaurant next door is convenient.
Highly recommend it for travelers going in and out of San Pedro!! Good value for the price

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Sandusky, Ohio
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We stayed at the Metrotel Express between visits to mainland Honduras and Roatan. The staff was very helpful, rooms were clean and there is a safe walkway to the restaurant next door which was very convenient. There are taxis available at all hours to take you to the airport and it is a short ten minute ride. Desk staff speaks English which was helpful.

2 Thank mob3172012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We headed to the Metrotel to kill 8-9 hours before a late night flight from SAP and paid $55 walk-up. We had heard good things from fellow travellers in the Bay islands.

It was perfect for what we needed - the room was clean with a comfy bed and big TV, good hot shower, ok WIFi very helpful staff.

We didn't have chance to try the food, but we heard good things about their on-site restaurant. Would definitely recommend for a pre or post-flight stopover.

1 Thank Chris E
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Hello fellow travellers. I am from and live in Bermuda ( I know my hotels). My lovely wife of 20 years is from San Pedro Sula. For the record, this is the first time I've ever written a review. I feel compelled to stick up for this charming place that I once briefly called "home'. I stayed at the Metrotel in 2011 for several weeks while building a house nearby.Simply put, the Microtel is wonderful. Over the past couple of decades, I have stayed in many of the best ( and some less so) of San Pedro Sula hotels. I'll tell you this... Microtel compares with the best of them, then goes on to beat the other hotels in terms of cleanliness, friendly and professional staff, and safety. Check the bed linen when you first go into your room. The sheets are spotless and have that "fresh" , mild scent of very clean linens. I've watched many people coming into the lobby and almost melt in relief when seeing the clean and smart looking cool interior for the first time. Just off the lobby is a small room set up with computers where one can use the internet free of charge ( it might still be free in 2013!). In the mornings, I enjoyed having coffee and muffins, fresh fruit, while talking to a variety of people. Many overseas charity workers choose to stay there at the beginning and end of their Honduras journeys. The best clue to the success of the hotel is repeat guests. I lived in Roatan 18 years ago and was delighted to bump into so many folks I knew from the Bay Islands. Microtel is far and away the preferred hotel for islanders... ex-pat and local, while on their way to or back from international trips. Sometimes, Microtel had the feel of being a club of people "in the know". The staff... I can't say enough good about them. Hard working ladies and gentlemen who, one and all, do whatever they can to make a guest's stay a happy one. Every day, I freely left money out on the counter and desk in my room ( maybe a test at first, but soon evolving into being deeply impressed at the housekeeping team's honesty and good character), while leaving a couple of dollars tip ( and brief note of thanks) on the pillow each morning . Long story short, my money ( usually between $75-$100) on the counter and desk stayed where I left it.By the time my house was ready to move into, I was honestly reluctant to leave Microtel and the fantastic people who work there. Tip>> change your dollars at the front desk for Lempiras. The hotel's exchange rate leans in favour of the guest. It's done as a service, not as a means to make extra funds). I met the ( American) owner of the hotel who graciously let me continue staying in the ground floor suite ( her regular room), even though I hadn't confirmed an extension of my stay. She and her husband stayed in one of their very nice standard rooms. One last thing... I didn't find Microtel via a travel site. The hotel was recommended to me by several long-time residents of San Pedro Sula and Roatan. So, it's a nice place to stay. Have a dip in the pool and dry off while walking around the manicured garden. Disclaimer: I wrote this thinking of my fellow travellers going to Honduras. From experience, I know how a really comfortable bed and clean room can feel "Heaven Sent" after a spell in the fields. I have no connection to the hotel, other than the experience I once had.

Room Tip: I always check to see if the AC works.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Ian M
Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed here on our last night in Honduras. Quick check-in and very nice staff. Lobby and hallways smelled of a glue chemical (carpet), but the room was fine, and we didn't smell anything. Restaurant next door pretty pricey for the quality of food, but we walked there from restaurant, so that was a plus. The rooms, and hotel, in general, are very American, but they are small. Bathroom was decent. Good hot water and good AC. Bed was decently comfy. 24 hour security, so felt our car was safe, which is good, being a rental. The continental breakfast was so-so, because the bread was hard, which I figured meant it was old. Coffee was pretty good.
We used the computer center, but could not print our boarding passes without emailing them to the front desk, so I waited until we got to the airport.
The garden area was very pretty and we sat in the hammocks for a while. Was disappointed because the pool was closed for cleaning on our arrival and the next day.
If you are going to the airport, it is about 15 minutes, and then entry with be on your left. We overshot and had to return, as we never saw a sign, although we may have missed it.
With the reputation that San Pedro has, this was a good option for us, in terms of location and security, and proximity to the airport. Would stay again. We payed around $80 total, which was about 15-20 too much, in my opinion, comparing other hotels where we stayed.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple