“A Nice Surprise”

Tamarindo Hostel
michigan
“A Nice Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

i've always been hesitant to spend the night in San Pedro Sula, being a single woman traveling alone. but a taxi driver from Puerto Cortes took me there, and i was very happy. i stayed in the 'dorm' and it was very nice and clean, but it was more than i thought i would have to pay for a dorm room in a Hostel; and they have private rooms as well. i only stayed one night and did not leave the Hostel, although other people walked to the store and said it was ok. i felt very safe inside and the woman was very kind and helpful. she will arrange for a taxi to take you to the bus terminal.... just be aware that if you are not sharing a taxi, it will be rather expensive ... but i guess that is always the case :( ...i would highly recommend this place. thank you Tamarindo Hostel ...and hi to little Rocco (their beautiful little puppy with blue eyes!)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We arrived late in the night after a very long trip from Costa Rica, with a stressfull interactions in the bus station, but arriving here was like a little piece of paradise.
The owner was very kind to us, they gave us a good fresh beer and a very good bed.

Room Tip: Everyone are good.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed here for 1 night.
A guy from the hostel came an picked me up in the airport as promised, and they drove me to the bus terminal the next morning. But their rates are way to high. Paid 20 $ for the airport pick up, 10 $ for the drive to the bus terminal and 15 $ for a dorm bed.
Even though the 2010 Lonely Planet edition refers to this place as the place to meet other travellers, I was the only guest that night.
The dorm was okay, but the atmosphere in the hostel was kind of cold and not very welcoming.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
tamarindohostel, Gerente at Tamarindo Hostel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Hi Dear Martin
In respect of your review on 15Ago 2013,let me tell you there are some rarelly days that you can be the only one in the hostel,
The transportation service is as the same as every unknown and unsafe taxi you can take at the airport.and we took our time for be waiting for your arrival.
Our services in the hostel are even better than others, high velocity wi fi you can also talk with skype calls,hot water,strict cleanning ,desinfecting,maintenance.air condition,bathroom inside,local calls,facilities,safety,residential zone and more just for $15 ,is very cheap .
You can go to Utila, Copan,you can find less prices but when you enter the room you will feel you cant wait for to go outside,you will see the diference.Our prices has the value.
I hope to have you again here in San Pedro Sula .have a great time, kind regards,Lorette

Travellers are raving about these San Pedro Sula hotels

Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

The reason this hostel gets many mixed references is that there's not much options in San Pedro Sula, Honduras is clearly a country with severe difficulties, so they take full advantage of it, overpricing everything by western standards, I quite understand them, anyways I stayed on the dorm, there's a baleada restaurant close by with nice food and decent prices, if you don't speak spanish the locals won't be really willing to help! they get a "multicultural" as honduras is a path to the illegal crossing to the USA, so you can meet some interesting people with a lot of tales to tell.

Room Tip: choose the ones upstairs, they seem to be cleaner and less noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

I'm not sure what all the bad review are about. I ended up here because the TICA bus office was closed on a Sunday and the taxi driver recommended this place to buy my ticket. I ended up buying my bus ticket and decided to go ahead and stay here in place of the other hostel where I made my booking in the beginning.

The dorm rooms are affordable, clean, and comfortable. I agree that the private rooms are too pricey for what the place is, but otherwise my 2-night stay was very pleasant. The bathroom is clean, there is good high-speed WiFi and a fridge stocked with cold beer. SPS is a transient city and i wouldn't really want to come back except as a passing point for the Honduran Bay Islands. When I do, I will definitely choose to stay at Tamarindo.

As a side note, I left something at the Hostal and the staff was kind enough to e-mail me to let me know!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Arequipa, Peru
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

Stayed there with my girlfriend and we got a dorm room to ourselves-- nice touch. But it was SUPER hot, ill-ventilated, and smelled like the bathroom next to it.

The staff didn't really know anything about SPS while we were there and just recommended that we stay in at night. Fair enough, but at least give us something to do during the day. Make it up, even!

Basic hostel, most of the amenities, but they charged WAY too much for a basic hostel, and they even charged for using internet! I hate that, such an annoyance when hostels do that.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MapleHoja
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

The workers at this hostel (mainly two guys were at the main desk when I was there) were very helpful. They provided us with information on nearby museums and activities. They would always call a cab for us whenever we needed to get somewhere and would make sure we were safe by always locking the front gates and hostel doors. I will say that this area is pretty sketchy, but then again san pedro sula is known for that. The people at this hostel made sure to keep us safe and they were very friendly. The only reason why I don't give it five stars is because they had charged my boyfriend and I 40 dollars a night for a room which I thought was pretty expensive for a hostel of that quality, many other hostel in that area would go for 20 usd for a private room. We stayed there because we were tired from traveling a lot. All in all they helped us out a lot at the hostel.

Tip to fellow travelers: If you are staying at this hostel bring your national flag (a big one) it is a tradition at this hostel to hang the flags of their occupants (not a demand, just for fun). I wish I would have known in advance because I would have loved to represent my people from the dominican republic :) through out central america they have told us that they don't bump into many dominicans.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple