“Terrible Terrible- stay away”

Hotel Plaza del Libertador
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Tegucigalpa
Reviewed 11 February 2011

My husband and I had a little business in Honduras. We have never been but have traveld quite a bit. The service has been some of the worse I have ever experience. The cost was also extremely high for the quality. We got sick after eating breakfast at the restaurant and the people who work there are very very rude. We are checking out today. Very happy never to have to come back here!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Flexnit

Reviewed 26 February 2010

Early this year I was staying in the presidential suit of Plaza Del Libertador hotel and it was excellent. I didn't know what to expect really as I've never been in Honduras before. I booked the suit through a web site called easy click travel for a surprising price- less than 90$ so I thought it is probably better not to expect much for this price but the truth is it was wonderful, I had no complains at all. My room had everything one could wish for: internet, TV and even refrigerator. True, the hotel is not too pretty, old fashion I would say but there is something charming about it after all. I say as long as it is clean, and indeed it was, it's fine with me.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank goodpoint10
Reviewed 1 June 2009

This was my favorite hotel to stay (2006, 2007), however the hotel now is part of the Plaza San Martin hotel group, meaning the prices of the hotel, restuarant etc. skyrocketed...there is nobody to see around, the hotels are empty...I though it was the earthquake, but I asked and it is been like this for a while.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank RickyTampa
Reviewed 19 September 2008

I booked Hotel Libertador for a conference for 20 participants. The week went very well and the hotel was a big part of its success. It seems there has been a change in management since the earlier reviews, because all staff were helpful throughout the week. On the very few occasions where something went wrong (ie trouble connecting to wireless), staff were helpful and called someone to help. They were very understanding of having a large group and the flexibility that requires, as individuals change their plans, and numbers vary for tea breaks, etc. The facilities were great, beds were comfortable, nice hot showers, the views from the rooms excellent. It was good to have several meal options there in the hotel and/or nearby. Breakfasts were good with a range of options. Gino's Restaurant is very good, as is Charlotte's Bistro around the corner. The gym was nice (across the street at the sister Hotel San Martin), and had the best views I've ever had from a cross trainer. The hotel is in a convenient location in town, and it's very easy to go out for meetings or shopping as needed. I definitely recommend Hotel Libertador.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ZeldaLondon_UK
Reviewed 1 September 2007

The only good thing about this hotel is "Gino's" ,an EXCELLENT restaurant, is next door.
My wife and I were supposed to stay for 3 weeks while working a project in Tegucigalpa. A local company made the reservations but we felt NOT WELCOME from the moment we walked in the door.
The hotel as a facility is not that bad. Rooms are OK and the area is fairly secure for Tegucigalpa but their attitude toward us made us change hotels after 6 nights. The Honduras Maya is just around the corner and a much nicer hotel. Their staff was very friendly and we really enjoyed our final 12 nights.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank seadawgsx2
Reviewed 7 July 2007

Hotel is located in upscale Colonia Palmira near American Embassy. Low criminal activity. Room was very clean and nicely furnished with Honduran styled furniture. Lots of dark wood. Coplimentary covered parking available next door, absolutely secure. Staff very helpfull in providing extra beds in room. Cashier was always available to exchange Dollars into Lempiras at rate equal to local banks. This service is extremely helpful if compare it with the restricted time, long lines and hassel at the local banks. Do not use the laundry service in the hotel. This service is extremely expensive. There are no written prices on the laundry ticket when I requested this service. I expected an usual charge of between $25 -$30 for the amount of laundry submitted. But to my surprise the bill was over $120 more than the cost of the room for one night. I could have easily bought new underwear and socks for less. The service was timely and tip top, everything was pressed and wrapped but in my opinion overpriced for Honduras.

3  Thank Washedout
Reviewed 8 June 2006

This was the worst experience I have ever had at any hotel.
After making reservations through this site my girl friend and I set out from Granada Nicaragua to Tegucigalpa. Arriving around 10 or 11 pm we got a taxi to the hotel. When we approached the deck the clerk stated he had no reservation for my name. My girl friend asked him to check again and again he stated there were no reservations.
We asked to use a computer with a printer to print out the voucher. He allowed us to use the computer and I printed the voucher which clearly indicated the reservation was valid and they should honor it. He then stated they do not honor these reservations and that the hotel wasn’t going to honor the agreement.
We asked for another room using the paid voucher and he refused. There was no assistance from this clerk to help us get a room nor would he even talk about working something out.
The people at World Reservations did respond that the hotel has had several bad reports and would be removed from the listings and they also promised a refund.

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank Sphill
ggutierrrez, Manager Assistant at Hotel Plaza del Libertador, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2007

Good afternoon sir!
We are sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel. We usually dont have that problems, we will take your comment in consideration.
Have a great, and again I appologize for the experience with your reservation.