“elegant and delightful”

Hotel Portal del Angel
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Tegucigalpa
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I traveled from the U.S. to Honduras for the purpose of doing some hospital consulting work. The accomodations arranged for me at the Hotel Portal del Angel exceeded my expectations. My stay was absolutely wonderful. The rooms were extremely comfortable, well-appointed, and attractive. The dining was excellent, and the ambience throughout the hotel was delightful. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. I am making plans for a return to Hotel Protal del Angel just as soon as possible.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 January 2011

The fresh fruit breakfast was the best I have had. The fruit was amazing.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Wow, what a pleasant surprise to stay at such a beautiful hotel in Tegucigalpa. The Hotel Portal Del Angel turned out to be quite the oasis within the city of Tegucigalpa. The hotel doesn't look like much from the street but once you enter the front door it's like entering an entirely different world. The hotel is classy, clean, elegant yet still very much Honduran. Beautiful grounds and gardens with a small pool in the courtyard. I'm not sure how much swimming one can do in this pool but it looks beautiful and the Cybex gym is just a few blocks away if you want a bigger pool and/or a gym. Breakfast is included n your room rate, is served by the pool and includes a buffet or you can order off the menu if you would like. The hotel also features a full service restaurant which is quite nice. The fact that you see locals in the restaurant at times speaks volumes for the quality of the restaurant.

I was upgraded from my regular room to a Junior Suite and this room was fabulous. The room was huge with a sitting area, a work area, a huge bathroom and a large balcony that overlooked the pool. The room was very clean and very well kept at all times. The free wi-fi worked perfectly and the flat screen TV seemed to have every channel available both in english and spanish.

The location of the hotel was nice with plenty of decent restaurants and shopping within a short distance. The hotel has 24 hr security and they were always there when you arrived regardless of the hour. The hotel seemed to be in a fairly safe area even though I'm not sure I would suggest walking around solo in the area, especially at night. I believe the hotel has space to park a car but we always used taxis.

The service at Portal Del Angel was excellent. The staff at the front desk all spoke english fairly well but were more than willing to speak spanish with me even though my spanish isn't perfect and it may have been easier for them to speak english with me at times. They were always there and always willing help to help with anything I needed. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in tegucigalpa both for leisure or business. Really a great hotel and very reasonably priced in my opinion. The only real drawback that I can think of with the hotel was the spa service. The therapist was very professional and did a nice job but there really isn't a "spa" at the hotel. The therapist was from an outside service and performs the services in your room. She also was over a half hour late which was a bit frustrating.

Overall the Hotel Portal Del Angel is a great hotel and provides a beautiful and tranquil setting in a large and busy latin american city. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Adorable hotel with astonishing breakfast. Their isn't anything better then spending the night in a big comfortable room in a quiet area after a long flight from Europe. The staff is amazingly friendly and professional at the same time. The breakfast
can be chosen between a very well selected variety of central American food. You can eat in the "patio" surrounded by inspiring vegetation making mornings very bright, calm, and pleasant.
I recommend this hotel for all kind of travellers independently of the purpose of the trip such as business or pleasure.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I was directed to this hotel by Honduran and American friends. It is a great place to combine business and pleasure, or to focus on one or the other if you wish to or must. The first appearance from the street leaves much to be desired, but then you won't be living on the street. Once you step inside the security gate -- efficiently and courteously manned both day and night -- its real qualities emerge. It is captivating and personal, with a spacious lobby filled with comfortable chairs, sofas, plants and Honduran art and artifacts. A small but excellent restaurant divides the front lobby and outside front terrace from the relaxing rear lobby, where I have chatted with friends and conducted business interviews. There are a couple of meeting rooms and a business center with computers that quickly pick up the Internet. I walked through a virtual rain forest of regional plants and colonial-style balustrades and up a curving stairway to my large and comfortable but not over-fancy room with hard-wood floors. Day and night, the staff members are unfailingly gracious, friendly, informed and helpful. If you want a hotel with all the necessary services -- very close to the now-world-famous Brazilian embassy -- yet with far more charm, traditional elegance and intimacy than the multi-storied international towers, go to the Portal.

William Ratliff
wratliff@stanford.edu

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2008

We had a flex day in our trip to Honduras that brought us to Tegucigalpa one day early. We searched online for several hotels in the area and this property caught our eye. The hotel used to be a private residence before it was converted. It was a pretty nice place overall, but the value for the price in Tegucigalpa was not comparable.

The rooms are larger than average with a small, flat-screen tv, microwave oven and work desk. The beds were comfortable and there was good water pressure in the shower (but the hot water did come-and-go on the morning we showered). The food we ordered on-site for dinner and breakfast were good and we got to eat outside by the nice pool in the small courtyard area.

If this property was priced in the $50 to $75 per night category, it would be considered a better value to more guests. However, at the current prices, we felt that it was too expensive for what you receive in the area.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank misterbradley
Reviewed 26 October 2008

I was very dissapointed at this hotel. On the internet the place seems so elegant and neat, so upscale, but the thuth is that is not. Yes, the outside looks very neat and elegant but the rooms were not which is what is most important !!!
after just one night we moved to Real intercontinental which is just across the biggest mall in the city and also near a lot of restaurants and night life activities. The rate was $89 per night!! compare to $200!!!! and it was LOT better, clean, and bigger than this little hotel. I believe the owners of this hotel just want to rip you off!! don't stay here!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank travelerBIG30
juventino25, dueño at Hotel Portal del Angel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2010

Currently we are undergoing extensive refurbishing at our hotel.
We aim to give our costumers the best possible value for their money as we intend to give them an authentic experience of the honduran culture combining it with elegance, comfort and technology. We think our staff is our greatest asset, they are very conscious of our philosophy of personal attention.
We apologize for every time we haven´t lived up to this standards.
We think our refurbishing work will contribute to elevate our hotel back to the level of our ideals and our national culture.