“Perfect find. Ultra-comfortable and personable luxury far off the beaten path, incredible biodiversity, great people”

Tranquility Bay Beach Retreat
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Trujillo
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My significant other and I were blessed by the good fortune of stumbling upon Tranquility Bay during a spontaneous Honduran road trip this spring/summer. We were exploring the coastal tropical backwoods by rented car and bouncing down a bird-packed path outside the rustic Caribbean Trujillo, when we stopped by a treelined path leading down to a sparkling bay. We stepped across a footbridge and a tiny but vivicacious and friendly monkey ran up to us and began gesturing playfully and climbing trees around us. The next three days were packed with chatting with fellow travelers and the kind and gracious proprietors -- we really felt like part of the neighborhood as we sipped coffee and fruit smoothees in the late morning after our top notch stand-up paddling nautical exercise experience in the pristine and starfish and sand-dollar packed waters. The beachside cabanas were extremely thoughtfully done (ie had in roof safes so one could swim freely without worrying about ones changepurse) and great showers beds etc. and first-world clean. Earnest locals were delighted to introduce us to the area, and we really enjoyed being nestled in the rainforest amidst blackthroated trogons, ferruginous pygmy owls and other colorful birds and fruits. It was an invigorating stay amidst thoughtful hosts and dreamlike environs. The value at proposition at Tranquility Bay is extremely compelling and the proprietors are sincerely warm hosts and responsible stewards of this uniquely biodiversity-rich beach retreat set on a coastal road out of town, between inviting sea and lively jungle.

Room Tip: The rooms are all great.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeenEverwhereLovedIt

Reviewed 30 April 2011

I have travelled the world and yet no one place stands out in my mind and in my bank of memories quite the same as Tranquility Bay. I have been home for a couple months now but every day that I have been home a sweet memory has popped into my mind and I smile. Larry, Linda and Danny went above and beyond to make our stay there just perfect. The beach is breath taking, the staff at the resort are some of the most loveable that I have ever had the joy of meeting. This is a place that I plan to come back to over and over again. I tell all my friends and family about it. The beauty is indescribable. Chimmee the monkey is just so loveable. The water is incredible. The memories are unmeasurable.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DebDave73
Reviewed 26 April 2011

If you are looking for a combination of culture and relaxation, Tranquility Bay Beach Retreat is the place to go. Note the word "retreat." Tranquility Bay is a peaceful departure from the hectic turmoil of the mainstream tropical all-inclusives. The retreat has five cabanas tastefully yet playfully decorated in bright holiday colours. The rooms are clean with crisp, refreshing sheets on the beds. The hotel restaurant has a varied menu featuring local fish, fruit and daily specials, as well as some mainstream North American foods. Everything we ate was delicious and served by friendly staff. Be sure to try the breakfast crepes. Tranquility Bay has a clean, shallow beachfront. We swam every day. In the afternoons a fairly reliable breeze blows from noon onward. Hence, few mosquitos. Windsurfers, where are you? This bay is a windsurfer's paradise, currently known only to a few insiders. Larry and Linda, the Canadian owners of Tranquility Bay, can arrange local trips to snorkellng sites, Mayan villages and handicraft shops. They also own a small plane, so it may be possible to arrange a flight from Roatan or other ports directly to Trujillo, rather than bussing it from La Cieba. We went to Tranquility Bay to relax, and found it to be everything we needed. Good food, quiet nights, a hammock, a breeze and a beach. Bliss.

Room Tip: Ask for Cabana #1 with its Carribean view.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Tranquility Bay was beyond my expectations ten-fold. It is small, extremely affordable (in this econcomy too), sweet, charming and off-the-beaten tourist path, lovely restort. It is Indiana Jones meets Eat, Pray, Love. You are instant family (including a sweet monkey named Chimay that takes naps in your arms after playing hard for hours swinging from trees onto the dogs' backs!). Linda and Larry can make anything happen for you: spa manicures, pedictures, riding horseback on the beach, visiting/volunteering at a local orphanage, water fall visit, massages on the beach - or you can just lie on your hammock and sleep all day. You get your own bungalow that can sleep 4 that is quiet, clean and cozy. It normally takes me a few days to unwind from corporate America, but at Tranquility Bay, I was relaxed on day 2 after a gorgeous night sleep in my sweet little bungalow. TB is now my "go-to" holiday spot for much needed sun during the winter - I live in Seattle and the sun in non-existent here!

Room Tip: Ask for bungalow closest to beach.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank TinaPat
Reviewed 14 March 2011

I traveled to Tranquility Bay with a small group of about 15 for a yoga retreat. My words here could never truly capture the incredible time that all of us experienced during our stay. Proprietors Linda, Larry and their son, Danny made us feel so cared for, tended to, and truly at home. Their kindness, generosity and hospitality coupled with some of the most picturesque beaches and scenery make this a wonderful and unforgettable vacation spot. All people that we came across while there, including Tranquility Bay's wonderful onsite staff, were incredibly nice people. This spot offers something for everyone -- lounging and beaching, water sports, hiking, horseback riding, etc. In all my travels, I've never been somewhere so special. Writing this now makes me a bit sad -- I wish I was there! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 17 November 2010

This was a trip where I was driving in my trusty ford pickup, exploring Central America, including Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. I was headed to the end of the main road running east more or less along the north coast of Honduras, with the typical traffic, potholes, "chicken buses" and the like. I had just made one major detour because a major bridge was "out" on the main road, which caused a long detour back, and the detour road was a long, dusty, rough and congested "road" through the back country, but I finally got back onto the main road, headed in the right direction. Shortly, I encountered traffic, stopped, pulled over to the side of the road, never a good sign traveling, and in this case it was a sure sign of problems ahead. It had already been a long day, and it was about to get a whole lot longer! In this case I was soon to find out that a portion of the roadway, just before a bridge up ahead, had given way. That was about the extent of any information anyone knew, back at this end of the line. What do you do, you sit and wait, see what happens. Soon, I watch as a couple of dump trucks, loaded with stone laden dirt materials pass by headed to the “front” in the opposite lane. Aw, there may be hope after all. I am beginning to get a idea of what is going on. Then, about a half hour later, a “lowboy” tractor-trailer rig blows by, loaded with a big track backhoe. More of the picture is falling into place. The guy parked behind me, driving a smallish SUV, proceeds to walk forward to check things out. Gustovo. In the meantime, people are walking around the road, a military truck goes toward the “front” with a couple of soliders in it, a police pick-up rolls past, with a couple of police in it. Two or three Honduras Dept. of Transportation SUV’s & cars head to the “front” at a fast clip, and the “chicken buses” keep driving like a “bat out of hell”, (where did that term come from?), up to the front, seeing obviously that the road was closed, but gaining every inch of ground they can, more out of habit, than good, common sense. Neverless, adding to the congestion. Every once in a while a car or pick-up truck would come barreling past all of the parked cars and trucks, like they were going somewhere, or that waiting in the back of the line would insult their sense of “macho”. Of course, that added to the chaos and confusion up at the front, and I am sure didn’t expedite the repair efforts. (Why do the policia allow this?)
Gustovo returned, said about another hour to go. I guessed about two hours, because: Honduras, knowledge of construction, the chaos and confusion caused by the traffic up front, etc. etc.. I was right.
While sitting there waiting, I wondered if I could call on of the resorts or hotels listed in the Lonely Planet Guide Book, to see if they would have a room for the evening, and that I would be late, (very late), getting in. I had read the web site information about Tranquality Bay Beach Resort, a small resort that was located 3 kilometers west of town, that sounded awfully inviting, so I looked up their number in L.P., and gave my cell phone a try. Success, the phone was answered, and I tried, in my best spanlish, to explain what my situation was. I understood the response to be, call back in 20 or so minutes, no speak English. Again, there is hope…. After about 35 minutes I called back, and after 3 tries, the cell phone connected with the number, and a english speaking gentleman answered, said he was Larry, and yes, they had a Cabana available and yes, they would hold it for me, and yes, he understood that I would be late coming in. No problamo. As I was to find out, Larry and Linda, from Vancouver, Ca. own the resort. Both great people. Larry said that if he wasn’t there, that Carlos, his manager would be there, to meet me.
At 6:27, some of the trucks started their engines, and started to pull ahead a bit. I did the same, and it was great getting the A/C going again. At 6:42 we finally started moving forward, very slowly, but we were moving.
Eventually, I got to the Trujillo turn-off, and the road into town ran from fair to horrible. Trying to get through town was the typical challenge, narrow, rough streets, congestion, idiot drivers, buses, dogs, kids, pedestrians, and potholes. I made it through town, and after two tries, found the right road heading west, out of town along the shore.
So, eventually, I found the “Tranquility Bay” sign, on the west road, and turned down the lane. Shortly, I came to the sign designating the entrance into the Tranquality Bay Resort and pulled in, across a small concrete bridge, up to the front of the Restaurant. Carlos, his wife, and small daughter were there to meet me. What a long day, it was almost 8:00 in the evening by the time I pulled into the resort.
Carlos, and his family could not have been more welcoming, helpful, and accommodating. Carlos brother soon joined us, and we got the truck parked, the bags I needed, unloaded, and they had me on the way to my Cabana. They insisted on carrying everything, even Emelly, (there spelling, not mine), the 6 year old daughter, insisted on carrying my travel vest. I was so glad to be someplace safe, secure, quiet, and non-threatening for a while.
The Cabana was great, large, very clean, and very nicely furnished. No TV, or radio. The sounds of the ocean waves rhythmically keeping time with the tranquility of the place, which you felt in your sprit, and well as your body. Boy, did I need a good dose of Tranquility Bay.
The next day I had a great breakfast, prepared by Carlos wife. It was a huge “Canadian” breakfast, with mas cups of good “café”. Bueno! Shortly, I met Larry, and we sat and chatted for some time. Very nice, retired commercial airline pilot, who started filling me in on the resort, and on Trujillo, in general.
I met Linda, Larry’s wife, a handsome woman, who was a nurse, still working with women, fighting breast cancer. She had received a grant to do work in Honduras, and we spoke at length about her work, cancer research, and what she saw as the current challenges in helping to make women more aware of breast cancer.
Their son, Danny, also a pilot, was down visiting from Canada, as well as their daughter and her boy friend, who was from, originally, Bar Harbor, Maine – now living in Miami with the daughter. All of these folks were most pleasant, kind, and intelligent, good conversationalist and good Tranquility Bay companions.
Thursday, October 28, 2010. Hung out most of the day, enjoying the wonderful ambiance, well landscaped and maintained grounds, and soaking up some sun. Went snorkeling in the afternoon in the bay, it felt great. The water was somewhat “murky” due to reacent rains and windy conditions, but the water was moderately warm, (just right for cooling off), and very enjoyable. I wanted to check out the gear, and check myself out as well, because it had been years since I had been ocean snorkeling, and Carlos and I had a snorkeling trip scheduled for tomorrow. We were going to some reef, that used to be a Caye, before the US Military bombed the Caye into a below water reef back in the 1980’s (Col. Olie North, Contra, etc.) They used the small Caye as a bombing target! The US Govt. also built a good size airport runway in Trujillo, to support the logistics involved in the Contra “affair”.
Friday, October 29th: It rained last night and into the morning, (after all this is the rainy season, but this is the first rain I have encountered the whole trip.) Snorkel trip was postponed. About 9:30 it did start to clear off, and turned into a beautiful day. We decided the snorkel trip was on, so we got the boat launched, and about 11:30 we headed over to the local reef. The water was fairly clear, maybe a 20 to 25’ vis. and the bay being moderately choppy and a bit windy, but it was sunny. The reef had a lot of healthy coral life, including brain and fan coral, and some fish, more than enough to make it interesting. The dive companions were Danny, Linda & Larry’s son, Gena, the daughter, and Ryan, who is Gena’s amigo, and of course Carlos as the boat driver. No problems, a good time for all. The water temperature was most comfortable, not very cool at all. Saw a lot of sea urchins, and the others reported seeing a sting ray.
We came back, washed our gear, and ourselves, and shortly, Loiuisa had a great lunch ready. Louisia is Carlos’ wife, and a nice person and a very good cook. By this time it was about 2 in the afternoon, time for a siesta, in the hammock on the front porch of the Cabana.
Danny & I had agreed to head into town for the evening, to eat “street vendor” food, and have a couple of rum & cokes. Danny knew a couple of street vendors that were supposed to crank out some great food, and I wanted to try it. Ryan decided to join us, which was great, so about 6:00 PM off we went, a guys night out. After our first couple of drinks at the Tiki Bar, which is an outdoor bar sitting just off of the main (Parque) square and overooking the bay, it started to rain, so we took shelter under to shelter in the Parque, and waited for the rain to slow down enough to get to the first street vendor we wanted to try, which was just down the street from the shelter. This vendor’s specialty was Barbequed Chicken. We finally got there and were served some of the best chicken I have ever eaten, while sitting under a blue plastic tarp the lady cooking the food was using to shelter her and her grill from the rain. We ate while watching the rain come down. That meal was enough, we headed to another bar, indoors, and had another drink, then headed back to the resort.
Saturday, October 30, 2010: Got up early and went into town, found a coffee shop, and took some pictures. Drove out to the entrance to the commercial port boat terminal, out at Puerto Castilla. Nothing remarkable. It started raining again, and headed back to the Resort.
In the afternoon, Larry, Linda, Emelly, and I went up in the mountains to a small village, that also had a small school, to deliver soccer balls, and baseballs & bats. The village was poor to say the least, but the people were very nice, and the kids loved the gifts. They really like soccer, and appeared to be very familiar, and very good, with it. One of the older village women, at the house and family we visited, asked if the American would be willing to donate the money for paint, so they could paint their church. It is a small church, and probably 5 or so galleons would do it. I am going to see what it will take to get them what they need.
The power went out before dinner time, so the ladies finished preparing dinner by oil lamps, and dinner was eaten in the warm and friendly atmosphere of oil lamp and candle light. A most enjoyable dinner, chicken curry, with pumpkin pie for dessert. The meal and company was great, with the whole family, and a couple of local friends that dropped in.
It was late in the evening before the electric power came back on, to stay. Later in the evening it rained, again, fairly hard for a while.
Sunday, October 31, 2010: I have to tell you about the animals that are residents at Tranquility Bay. There is “Chiema” a young white faced monkey that is everything a monkey is supposed to be, getting into everything, more than playful, tolerated and loved by all, but seems to be in trouble a lot! Then there is “Oso”, the young, furry, raccoon like, ant eater, who is another character that loves to play with the other animals and is also mischievous. Chiema and Oso play together a lot. Then there are the dogs. “Ameiga” is a young, very handsome, cross between a german shepard and an husky. She is one of the most gentle, laid back animals, and also likes to play with Oso, but always in a gentle manner. Ameiga is intelligent, and wants to please. Then there is the black poodle, name unknown, who is always around, but keeps pretty well below the radar. There is also a horse that Linda often rides, and two big green parrots that are more or less, kept in a cage by the restaurant. The cage door is opened each day and one, or both, climb around on the outside of the cage, but never seem to fly away. At times their chatter is noticeable, but never annoying. Great background noise for the tropical setting. And, of course, there is the cat, “Gato”, which is Spanish for Cat! Emelly, is friends with them all, and quickly scolds any and all of them if they need it. Her and Chiema really have a time interacting and playing together. What a wonderful family.
Sunday, October 31, 2010: Well, today is laundry, packing, planning day, and on top of that everyone decided to go into “town” and visit the Fort and small museum they have, and take a trip to the Brinkley Hotel. With that was a stop at the Tiki Bar, which is an outside bar, sitting well up on the hill overlooking the Bay. Several of Linda & Larry’s friends came by, so they all had a long visit. Danny and I ran back to the resort briefly to get the Pepsi delivery man paid. When we got back, we all went over to a cafeteria restaurant on the main square and had lunch, then off to the Fort and a brief visit to William Walker’s grave, or the location where he was executed. Regardless, there is a large, somewhat ugly, concrete marker there with his name on it. The old Fort was constructed in the 1500’s and commanded a view of the bay. It was an impressive site. From there we went up the hill, behind the town to visit the old Brinkley Hotel, which is no longer in operation, but the watchman let us visit the site and wander around inside the main building, and some of the rooms were open. The Hotel is the classic, Caribbean 1930’s grand hotel, very large, obviously having been added onto several times. The view of the bay was really impressive from the second floor breakfast restaurant. One of the rooms that was open had the classic four poster bed, sunken shower/tub and tropic in style and feel. It had to have been a wonderfully classic and top notch hotel when it was in its prime. Word was that Peggy Brinkley, the daughter or grand daughter of the original owner had inherited the hotel, and back in the 1980’s had sold the hotel to several different parties all at the same time! Anyway, a local "business man" recently bought the hotel, (no one knows from whom he bought it), and no one knows what his plans are, but I certainly hope it gets restored. With the cruise boats that are supposed to start using Trujillo as a scheduled stop, the Hotel could be pretty busy, especially if they added a casino. The hotel is more than a little rough around the edges, but you can still feel the heart and soul of the place when you walk through it. After the hotel visit, we headed to Santa Fe, a small Garifuna village about 12 kilometers west of town on the bay beach. No restaurants were open, so we doubled back to another beach restaurant that was open, operated by a german guy. Food was good, and the company was better. A long day, but most enjoyable.
I rarely have ever felt more relaxed, cared for, and "at home", than I did at Tranquility Bay. I really did not like leaving, it is awfully peaceful here, and the Tranquility Bay family is really special, and will certainly be missed!
Post Script: Linda and Larry, and their family, including Carlos, Louisa and Emelly, and the animals, are the kindest, most considerate hosts anyone could ever ask for. The Cabana's are very attractive and well maintained. The scenery and views are world class. I could never say enough good things about Tranquility Bay and the special who own and run it.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank JRNAztec_NewMexico
Reviewed 31 October 2010

Tranquility Bay Honduras truly lives up to its name. Located on the pristine white sand beach of Trujillo, the Caribbean sparkles invitingly.

Not surprisingly, Tranquility Bay caters to all beach bums and ocean sport enthusiasts. While there, I tried ocean kayaking, kite boarding, body surfing and of course just pure relaxation in the hammock hut. If there was a more idyllic, authentic Honduran experience, I have yet to hear of it.

The proprietors, Larry and Linda are gracious hosts who go out of their way to ensure your stay is especially memorable. They promote a family-friendly atmosphere, equally inviting to young families or couples looking for a romantic getaway. The staff at the resort makes you feel instantly welcomed and important. Special care is taken to ensure all guests are not just provided with a place to stay, but an authentic experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

The restaurant provides home-style cooking in a comfortable setting. Breakfast was a la carte, while lunch and dinner were specials created by the chef. The cuisine ranged from traditional Honduran, to modern North American(Larry's signature oatmeal is the perfect breakfast to start a day of jungle/beach activities).

The cabanas were spacious and comfortable. Each had 3 beds, a queen and two doubles. The housekeeping staff kept them sparkling clean and fresh. The best part about the accommodations was the open-air concept. Picture a beach house with no glass windows, only fashionable wood shutters protected by a mesh screen to keep the bugs out. The ocean truly carries you away at night allowing for a deep, restful sleep. The light sea breeze keeps the cabanas comfortable day and night. Standard amenities included a safe and mini fridge. There was also a hammock on the porch of each cabana just in case.

Tranquility Bay boasts the best of the beach and the jungle. The jungle being well-represented by the cute little monkey named Chimmy. He leaps from tree to tree around the resort and is as tame and friendly as could be. Amiga and Buster, the resort pooches are playful and affectionate.

Overall, I honestly can't say enough about Tranquility Bay. It provided an incredibly warm, cozy, authentic experience and a location that highlighted the best of the Caribbean. The warm water, the beautiful beach and the amazing people of Trujillo make this a definite hidden gem. I can't recommend it enough. Absolutely first-class!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank solotraveler201010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trujillo
Hotel Papa Beto
Hotel Papa Beto
#2 of 2 in Catacamas
Hotel Carnaval
Hotel Carnaval
#9 of 22 in La Ceiba
Trujillo Beach Eco Resort

Been to Tranquility Bay Beach Retreat? Share your experiences!