“One of my favorites, anywhere”
Review of Five Star Day Cafe - CLOSED

Five Star Day Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Five Star Day was my favorite place to eat when I lived in Athens, and as a visitor, remains so! They mainly offer soul food/Southern food with some other options as well. If you've never tried that sort of food, this is a great place to do it. My favorites are the chicken and dumplings, the trout, the mac and cheese, and collard greens. The bacon egg and cheese sandwich is great if you want something light. They even make their own mayo! I know some people dislike ordering and paying at the counter before being seated, but I personally think it's part of Five Star's charm. The restaurant itself is very tastefully decorated as well, and the service is excellent.

1  Thank katieanddougie

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We ate dinner at the eastside location in Athens until it closed and do miss it. Similar fare can be found on Broad St location. Southern and local foods were evident in the menus at dinner on the eastside. Hope to visit the Broad St location for lunch soon. Food preseneted is more healthy than vast majority of what your are served in Athens.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

My daughter (UGA student) and I enjoyed this cafe. I dont love restaurants that make you order at the front counter, not much room to stand in line, have to wait for a table. I prefer a server. They could easily convert to this level of service and be a better restaurant. You could still take ticket to front to pay.
We did enjoy the food. They have a very tiny kitchen so much of what we had must have been premade - evidenced by the cold bacon.
I would go again, reasonable prices.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Unique atmosphere, good food, good service, good value... Simple as that! My husband LOVED the bacon, egg and cheesburger. We'd visit again, for sure!

Reviewed 4 November 2012

We have eaten here a number of times and Five Star always comes through with great food and, somewhat unexpectedly, very good service after you order at the counter. In fact, the service was better than we have have had at some "order from the table" restaurants. While everything is very good, folks in our party particularly enjoyed the fried green tomatoes and collard greens side dishes. This says a lot coming from Southerners.