“What a Surprise”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Athens
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have had to stay in Athens 4 times this year for business and a few times last year. A few weeks ago, I tried this hotel for the first time. WOW, I was shocked. I didn't know Athens had a high end hotel like this! It is kind of hidden and not on the main road. It was really nice, super breakfast, the rooms were really big and the staff was really nice. The front desk guy, Chris H. was very polite and recommended a few places for me to eat dinner close-by. There was a little noise later in the evening, I think there was a party going on or something, but I put in my headphones anyways. When I checked out, the lady was very nice, and reminded me to grab a cup of coffee. Just overall a great experience, so I am definitely going back there next time. FYI my experience it was best to check their online prices then call the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Allovertown78
Country Inn A, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for the very kind review and for recommending the hotel to others. We are happy to be your home away from home in Athens.

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Athens

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago while in Athens for business and I was surprised when I checked in on this trip, the front desk agent Leslie greeted me with a smile and said welcome back Mr. Lewis glad to see you again. She handed me a fresh HOT cookie and my rooms keys. It was fast and easy check in! The room was how I remembered large and spacious. The next morning I went down for a quick breakfast and notice new items on the breakfast bar! Nice new touch. Each time works brings me to Athens I make sure I stay at this hotel. It just feels like home to me!

Room Tip: Fourth Floor Corner rooms are great!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the fantastic review we are looking foward to you next visit!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I had the pleasure of hosting a baby shower for a colleague at the Country Inn & Suites. What a perfect location and hotel. Here are my opinions:

Location: It is tricky to get to if you do not travel down Old Epps Bridge as your GPS might send you to the other Epps Bridge. Be sure you have the right directions. There is ample parking that is well lit and has a sense of security.

Conference Room: The room was absolutely superb. There was enough room for a buffet line, and adequate sitting for all guests and a gift table.

Food: You have to bring in your own food, refreshments and the like. There is a galley off of the conference room where you can prepare and set up for your food.

Staff: The staff was excellent and full service. Every need and request that we had they were able to accommodate without question or complaint.

Overall: All of the guests raved about how nice the hotel was and professional the staff was to them during interactions. We were assisted by all to ensure a successful baby shower and the guest of honor said that she felt 'special'.

Consider this hotel for your next event. It is worth a look--considering you are in Athens; this is a fantastic choice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Country Inn A, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

You should write a travel column in your local newspaper!!! We are looking forward to hosting all your events in the future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I reviewed this motel a year and a half ago and thought it was the best I had ever stayed in. After my recent stay, I think not. Last time, I was given a suite without realizing it. Big difference. This time I arrived after a crowded weekend. The place was not clean: dishes on the floor in the hallway all day, trash in the super-slow elevator, trash in the cabinet in my room.

The closet for this room is tiny. In one of the worst hospitality decisions I know of, they mounted a huge iron and ironing board at the small opening of the closet, which completely blocks it off from use. The 32” TV is too small for the size of the room.

The Wi-Fi was poor in my part of the motel, and I had to do a complicated log-in each time I used it. Very annoying. The second day, my key wouldn’t work so I had to go back downstairs, which takes a lot of time. By 2:45, my room had not been cleaned despite few guests so I had to call and request it. The staff was perfect last time, but they fumbled the ball on this visit.

Everything else in my previous review is still true: friendliness (but not effectiveness) of the staff, luxury amenities, great breakfast, etc.

When I pay over $100 for a motel room in the south, I expect a lot more than this. I will be looking elsewhere if I visit Athens again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Country Inn A, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for the review and for your business, again. I apologize this time was not as pleasant as the first visit. I have since changed the policy about housekeeping leaving things out in the hallway while cleaning. We are also in the process of upgrading the internet system too. We hope to see you again on a future visit.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I'm torn regarding my review of this place. The employees were friendly and my suite was roomy with a comfy bed. Breakfast was the basic continental with great oatmeal. But here's the main problem: when I checked in, the gentleman who helped me said my room number aloud, not one but twice. There were people within hearing distance, and even if there weren't, a guest's room number should NEVER be said out loud. Point to it on the little envelope given to guests. That alone makes me second guess staying here again. Plus there were no towel racks in the bathroom and nothing in the exercise room to wipe down the equipment. Those two things aren't deal breakers but the safety thing sure is.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your business. It is every hotels policy not to announce room numbers aloud. This was a brand new employee to the hotel and to the industry. When I went to address the issue after reading your review it had already been covered with him and I was assured it would not happen again. I hope you do try us again because while being a serious issue it is a easy correction and we apologize for the mistake.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Booked 3 rooms at the country inn and suites for UGA Law School graduation this weekend. Rooms were clean and comfortable. I was disappointed with the noise level. I was up early but if not, I would not have been able to sleep past 6:30am! Friends and family in the other rooms experienced the same problem with noise. Part of the problem could be due to the open layout of the hotel. I would like to see the management monitoring the noise level in the hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank vabama22
Country Inn A, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for your response and I apologize for the noise. We of course had a full hotel and with the graduation and the tennis tournament people were up early and ready to go (more so than usual). I also appreciate you recognized the hotel for the cleanliness. We try very hard and the staff is one of a kind! Next time your in ask for a room down one of the hallways they do not face the atrium and tend to be a bit quiter.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We were a family group here for graduation so we had three rooms. All the rooms were nice, clean, and comfortable. Rooms, 425 which is handicapped accessible is very big with a nice separate living room. 419 has the two queen beds and 221 has a king bed. The breakfast is nice. Lots of choices from cereal, cooked oatmeal, muffins, bagels & breads. Do it yourself waffles are a hit. The selection of eggs & meat items changed each of the three mornings we were here and that variety is appreciated. The staff set up extra tables in the hall ways so seating was never a problem. The food was replenished regularly and everything was kept neat and clean. All the staff was helpful and pleasant. Parking was OK, even though the hotel was very full. As others have said, the one elevator is a problem, but we took the stairs "down" and only waited on the elevator to go "up."

Room Tip: Room 425 is handicapped accessible and is very spacious. The bathroom is very large to accommodate...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your business and for the review! We certainly hope to see you guys again real soon.