“Great all around!”

Ranked #3 of 420 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Open for lunch Monday - Saturday and dinner daily; our bar also remains open for coffee and tapas during the day 2:30 - 5pm. The idea behind The National is simple: to provide a casual neighborhood gathering spot reminiscent of the bars and cafés we’ve enjoyed on travels to Europe. Mediterranean inspired food and wine is served for lunch and dinner in the dining room and throughout the day at the bar. While our menu points to culinary traditions from abroad, we value our local farmers and our dishes reflect the changing seasons in Northeast Georgia.
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

This place is elegant, casual, and relaxed all at the same time. The food is prepared using local growers and it's obvious in the taste and presentation that the restaurant takes pride in this. I don't recall the name of what I ordered but it had greens, chickpeas, garden peas, quinoa, celery, garlic, and a few other items. I LOVED it! Who wouldn't feel great eating something that's nutritious AND delicious?! I just with this place was in my town!

1  Thank suzb_00

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I had dinner here on a Friday night and, LOVED it so much, we came the next day for lunch. The ambiance is a casual rustic elegance with an urban feel--- exposed brick and pipes and tin ceiling ---that sets the tone for a fun, relaxed meal. The waitstaff is attentive and friendly and eager to please. But the FOOD is the reason to come to The National. We found the food--- locally sourced and seasonal--- to be innovative, unusual, perfectly spiced and prepared and delicious. This restaurant is a do not miss---- especially in a town with a ton of restaurants that focus on feeding college kids on a budget!

1  Thank cmahls
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had lunch at the restaurant, the atmosphere is lovely and casual, the staff were hard working and very pleasant. The food is superb, very well cooked and presented. Would like to have tried the dinner menu too.

1  Thank Glynis S
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

The National is beautiful. The courses are always different and always spectacular. Special occasion or family or girl's night out. Love it always!

1  Thank GAMomof3boys
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Delicious cheese stuffed dates and a crispy crunchy pizzette! Coconut macaroon with chocolate sauce for dessert. It made my day :-)

1  Thank Kate T

Been to The National? Share your experiences!