“Repeat customer and satisfied yet again”

SpringHill Suites Athens
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Repeat customer and satisfied yet again”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Love this place. We travel to Athens, 3 times year and the team stays here. The breakfast has great variety, stays open late enough and it's free..... As it is in all springhills and Fairfield inns. Yet this one is cleaner and better than most. Rooms are comfy and clean, spacious and updated. The staff is professional and helpful, I have dealt with Lori several times and she is a sweetheart. If you are around the area, don't hesitate to try this property out.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is virtually noise free.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed 30 January 2014

After the horrendous snowstorm of 2014, I arrived at 3:00am. My room was ready and the NIght Auditor TOSHA extended my stay with a late checkout. Realizing how exhausted I was, she noted that I would probably not be awake during the 6:30-9:30 breakfast hours. She OPENED HER BREAKFAST AREA and offered me cereal, fresh fruit, a bagel, milk and hard boiled eggs to take to my suite and enjoy when I awoke at noon the next day. My appointment got cancelled the following day, and the day Manager LORI, booked me for an additional night, extended my stay with a late checkout, and recommended a Chinese restaurant that delivered. EXCELLENT choice!

Tosha, Lori & SpringHill Suites Athens personify EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE! TWO THUMBS UP!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank marklbrown
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I am not generally a high rater on my hotels, as you can see from some of my other reviews, however this experience merited a 5 star rating. There were details of this stay that made this hotel a very pleasant home base for a two night getaway.

Location
The hotel is off the Oconee Connector and was about a 15 minute drive to downtown depending on which way our GPS took us and the traffic. There is a gas station in a walkable distance, but otherwise you would need to have a vehicle. I was impressed with a nice outdoor shopping area maybe 2 miles or so from the property that seems to have only opened up over the last several months. Includes a movie theatre, Dick's Sporting Goods, Petsmart and a few other stores, with more coming. There are several other older, developed shopping areas within a few miles from the property, including several restaurants. We didn't want to stay in downtown, so this was a good compromise.

I can't speak enough about the service of the front desk. The woman who checked us in, greeted us in the evening, and gave us recommendations was very friendly and helpful. There was another manager on-site one evening who was as equally helpful and was nice to have a conversation with people who took pride in their property and their town. Overall in Athens, the people we spoke to had a lot of positive things to say about living there.

Rooms
These are newer Springhill rooms that are suites, however are more like a studio suite, with less delineation that the older versions, which could be a problem if you are really looking to separate the living room from the bedroom. There is a work desk with several outlets and a nice work chair, along with a sofa (needs a bit of cleaning as it had some stains), some portable tables and a microfridge/sink combo in the living room. There was a plastic separator at the work desk, but it was difficult to do much quietly while someone was sleeping in the bedroom. There is one TV that swivels so you could see it from both the bedroom and living room and had plenty of channels to chose from. The bed was my only complaint, it was a little soft for my taste, but overall we slept okay. The pillows aren't the greatest here, but were adequate for our needs.

The bathroom was excellent and featured a huge tiled, glass walk-in type shower that was definitely large enough so you didn't feel crowded. They seemed to reconfigure the bathroom a bit so it wasn't as claustrophobic as some of the older properties we've stayed in. They provide small Paul Mitchell products, great for one, probably not enough for two. The vanity is outside the shower, which is helpful when you are traveling with more than one person. Tons of towels and when I happened to run into the housekeeper the next day she loaded me up.

Alarm clock featured the iPhone type plug in, which we didn't use, but may be helpful for some. Overall I found the room to be homey and comfortable. In terms of noise, you can definitely hear some doors slamming in the hallway, so the noise issue may be up to your neighbors. We could hear light talking and some bathroom noises, but nothing out of the ordinary at a hotel. We faced the front of the building, which was generally pretty quiet. The internet worked fine on our stay, but we didn't use it very often.

Amenities
As we were traveling on pleasure, I didn't see the pool or exercise room, but I was impressed with breakfast. As a vegetarian I never know what I'm going to get and was a big pleasant surprise. If it's an indication, the hotel stocks Kashi cereal, Silk Soymilk and a variety of fresh cut fruit and yogurt. Along with the wrapped (!) breads, croissants, bagels and muffins (and waffle machine on Saturday), there was a huge variety. They had every kind of condiment you could want, and was very grateful for the peanut butter. The only thing I'd improve here would be the bananas, they were not even close to ripe. With all the other selections, can't hardly complain. They also had biodegradable plates/bowls, etc., which I've never seen at a hotel before and loved.

Overall
If you need to stay near Athens, this is a great choice. There are a lot of options near the hotel, but you do need a vehicle. Front desk staff was pleasant and loved the breakfast options.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel was quiet. Avoid rooms near the elevator.
Green Features: Loved the biodegradable hardware at breakfast, top notch.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RedHeadGo
Christopher J, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Athens, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thank you!
Ga
Reviewed 21 December 2013

The hotel is an OK type of place. Nothing too fancy. The 'free' internet service is worth about what you pay for it since the hotel wants to ding you for additional money to get useful internet speed. The room design is a little radical but workable. There was mold in the shower but it was not too bad. The bed was comfortable but the small foam pillows were aggravating. My biggest complaint was that the breakfast food service was not good. The eggs and sausage were not kept up. The mostly depleted eggs were watery and disgusting looking. The sausage was gone. In the thirty minutes we were there the food area was never serviced.

Green Features: The government commode fails to work reliably as most do. The cheap fluorescent lighting is harsh and cold. The hotel saves labor, water and chemicals by not mitigating mold in the showers.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your frank comments regarding your recent stay. Obviously we are concerned it was not up to your (or our) expected standards. We will look into all areas mentioned in your review.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I had a large group on business stay here and use the meeting rooms as well at this hotel. It's kept very clean, the staff is fantastic, and the bang for the buck is definately there. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing!

Room Tip: Top Floor, at the end of the hall is nice and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
South Daytona, Florida
Reviewed 26 October 2013

It is really nice to stay at a nice, new, fresh and clean hotel. We were just passing though and preplanned to stay here this evening. My husband read the reviews and we decided to stay. What a very nice hotel! We actually looked for other Spring Hill Suites to stay at for the reminder of our trip. We are going to try to stay at the on in Savannah, GA on our way home.
The desk clerk was very helpful and efficient at check in. We asked for her recommendation for a local restaurant and not a chain. She sent us to a fabulous little Italian place. Da Palmas. It was really good and only about 10 minutes away.
The breakfast the next morning was really good too. They have single servings that were pre-bagged in case you wanted to take some fruit or snacks for the road.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
We aim to please. Thanks for staying with us.
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed during the Ga vs Missouri game. The room was very spacious and very clean. It was not far from downtown Athens. We took a cab to the university which wasn't badly priced. I will definitely stay again on our next trip to Athens!!

• Stayed October 2013
We thank you for your kind words.