“Great Location!”

SpringHill Suites Athens
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We needed a hotel for a wedding weekend. This hotel was extremely clean and updated, both in the room and the lobby area. The hotel is located on the outskirts of Athens, which made it easy to get to, without having to fight the downtown traffic. All staff were very friendly and met all of our needs. The breakfast was above average, with a great selection. Our room had a walk-in shower, which was a nice twist for a hotel room. Would definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Athens

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Spacious rooms, plenty of counter space in bathroom area and comfortable bed. My rental car wouldn't start and a lovely Marriott employee helped jump start my car with a smile! Great customer service and I will be back!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Kdmb22
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Love this place. We travel to Athens, 3 times year and the team stays here. The breakfast has great variety, stays open late enough and it's free..... As it is in all springhills and Fairfield inns. Yet this one is cleaner and better than most. Rooms are comfy and clean, spacious and updated. The staff is professional and helpful, I have dealt with Lori several times and she is a sweetheart. If you are around the area, don't hesitate to try this property out.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is virtually noise free.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2014

After the horrendous snowstorm of 2014, I arrived at 3:00am. My room was ready and the NIght Auditor TOSHA extended my stay with a late checkout. Realizing how exhausted I was, she noted that I would probably not be awake during the 6:30-9:30 breakfast hours. She OPENED HER BREAKFAST AREA and offered me cereal, fresh fruit, a bagel, milk and hard boiled eggs to take to my suite and enjoy when I awoke at noon the next day. My appointment got cancelled the following day, and the day Manager LORI, booked me for an additional night, extended my stay with a late checkout, and recommended a Chinese restaurant that delivered. EXCELLENT choice!

Tosha, Lori & SpringHill Suites Athens personify EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE! TWO THUMBS UP!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank marklbrown
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I am not generally a high rater on my hotels, as you can see from some of my other reviews, however this experience merited a 5 star rating. There were details of this stay that made this hotel a very pleasant home base for a two night getaway.

Location
The hotel is off the Oconee Connector and was about a 15 minute drive to downtown depending on which way our GPS took us and the traffic. There is a gas station in a walkable distance, but otherwise you would need to have a vehicle. I was impressed with a nice outdoor shopping area maybe 2 miles or so from the property that seems to have only opened up over the last several months. Includes a movie theatre, Dick's Sporting Goods, Petsmart and a few other stores, with more coming. There are several other older, developed shopping areas within a few miles from the property, including several restaurants. We didn't want to stay in downtown, so this was a good compromise.

I can't speak enough about the service of the front desk. The woman who checked us in, greeted us in the evening, and gave us recommendations was very friendly and helpful. There was another manager on-site one evening who was as equally helpful and was nice to have a conversation with people who took pride in their property and their town. Overall in Athens, the people we spoke to had a lot of positive things to say about living there.

Rooms
These are newer Springhill rooms that are suites, however are more like a studio suite, with less delineation that the older versions, which could be a problem if you are really looking to separate the living room from the bedroom. There is a work desk with several outlets and a nice work chair, along with a sofa (needs a bit of cleaning as it had some stains), some portable tables and a microfridge/sink combo in the living room. There was a plastic separator at the work desk, but it was difficult to do much quietly while someone was sleeping in the bedroom. There is one TV that swivels so you could see it from both the bedroom and living room and had plenty of channels to chose from. The bed was my only complaint, it was a little soft for my taste, but overall we slept okay. The pillows aren't the greatest here, but were adequate for our needs.

The bathroom was excellent and featured a huge tiled, glass walk-in type shower that was definitely large enough so you didn't feel crowded. They seemed to reconfigure the bathroom a bit so it wasn't as claustrophobic as some of the older properties we've stayed in. They provide small Paul Mitchell products, great for one, probably not enough for two. The vanity is outside the shower, which is helpful when you are traveling with more than one person. Tons of towels and when I happened to run into the housekeeper the next day she loaded me up.

Alarm clock featured the iPhone type plug in, which we didn't use, but may be helpful for some. Overall I found the room to be homey and comfortable. In terms of noise, you can definitely hear some doors slamming in the hallway, so the noise issue may be up to your neighbors. We could hear light talking and some bathroom noises, but nothing out of the ordinary at a hotel. We faced the front of the building, which was generally pretty quiet. The internet worked fine on our stay, but we didn't use it very often.

Amenities
As we were traveling on pleasure, I didn't see the pool or exercise room, but I was impressed with breakfast. As a vegetarian I never know what I'm going to get and was a big pleasant surprise. If it's an indication, the hotel stocks Kashi cereal, Silk Soymilk and a variety of fresh cut fruit and yogurt. Along with the wrapped (!) breads, croissants, bagels and muffins (and waffle machine on Saturday), there was a huge variety. They had every kind of condiment you could want, and was very grateful for the peanut butter. The only thing I'd improve here would be the bananas, they were not even close to ripe. With all the other selections, can't hardly complain. They also had biodegradable plates/bowls, etc., which I've never seen at a hotel before and loved.

Overall
If you need to stay near Athens, this is a great choice. There are a lot of options near the hotel, but you do need a vehicle. Front desk staff was pleasant and loved the breakfast options.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel was quiet. Avoid rooms near the elevator.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RedHeadGo
Christopher J, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Thank you!

Reviewed 21 December 2013

The hotel is an OK type of place. Nothing too fancy. The 'free' internet service is worth about what you pay for it since the hotel wants to ding you for additional money to get useful internet speed. The room design is a little radical but workable. There was mold in the shower but it was not too bad. The bed was comfortable but the small foam pillows were aggravating. My biggest complaint was that the breakfast food service was not good. The eggs and sausage were not kept up. The mostly depleted eggs were watery and disgusting looking. The sausage was gone. In the thirty minutes we were there the food area was never serviced.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your frank comments regarding your recent stay. Obviously we are concerned it was not up to your (or our) expected standards. We will look into all areas mentioned in your review.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I had a large group on business stay here and use the meeting rooms as well at this hotel. It's kept very clean, the staff is fantastic, and the bang for the buck is definately there. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing!

Room Tip: Top Floor, at the end of the hall is nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.