University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education & Hotel
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at the UGA hotel for two nights for a relative's college orientation. The service was by far the highlight of my stay. The staff were very friendly and were always willing to go out of their way to cater to my needs. The room was tidy and clean, and the beds were extremely comfortable. The breakfast was good, but it was not complementary- you're looking at about $6 a plate, which is quite reasonable in my opinion. If I must say something negative, it would have to be about the weak water pressure in the sinks, which was not a big concern of mine. It is located on campus, so if you are staying in Athens planning on visiting the college, I highly recommend staying here. All in all, I am very pleased with my stay and will definitely stay again when I'm in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Over all my experience there was a good one. I booked there for a gymnastics camp for my daughter. Its close to the gymnastics facility and we could walk there. The food service at UGA hotel and conference Center is very good. The one time the housekeepers cleaned my room, they did a great job. I gave them each a $5.00 tip. However, my room was skipped two days in a row by the housekeepers, ( I did not have the do not disturb sign up even though the housekeeper said that I did) When the error was recognized it was fix very quickly. Also, the second day it was skipped I personally told the housekeeper that I would be gone for 4 hours and asked her to please clean my room. She spoke Spanish and I am assuming did not understand me. So that afternoon when I returned to an unattended room I called John Marc, the manager and my room was cleaned immediately. What gets me feeling less than happy with UGA Hotel and Conference Center is the fact they charged me for damages which I did not do. I did wiped spilled coffee with a washcloth and my daughters wet leotard color bled into one of the towels. However, both of these stains should have come out with bleach. I did tell the hotel manager that I would pay for the wash cloth and towel if the stains did not come out. However, this hotel charged me with 2 wash clothes three hand towels and a towel. Basically, I was charged for some else's damaged items. This is absolutely ridiculous. All and all I realize that students run a lot of thing there, and my interaction with them was great. I do think that students would give a better housekeeping service as well. You could be assured that they would understand English.

Room Tip: There is no pool or spa at this hotel. Rooms by the courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is the second visit to this hotel/conference center. Both visits I have been pleased with the both clean accommodations and helpful, friendly staff. On this last visit, while all staff were very helpful and pleasant, one front desk person (Bradley) respectfully addressed me by name each time I had an opportunity to pass the front desk while he was working. I appreciated that he cared enough to remember my name with so conference attendees and others staying at the hotel. Any need I had was addressed quickly, politely and with a smile. Thank you, UGA, for a great second experience in Athens, GA.

1  Thank Sherry S
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have recently completed my second 9-day stay at the hotel & conference center, and I cannot say enough great things about the staff!

Here are just a few of the experiences that come to mind...
- Friendly & Funny assistance during check-in was the perfect welcome after a long drive;
- Personable & Helpful bell staff at the ready to get me settled in my room (even offering to fill my ice bucket which came in super-handy after a long evening out with colleagues);
- Reliable & Convenient shuttle service so I never had to move my car from the garage and/or navigate unfamiliar streets;
- Generous & Courteous banquet staff in the ballroom;
- Use of the Ramsey Center facilities was great for my long stay;
- I could go on and on...

Thank you so much for making a LONG conference such a great experience, year after year!!!

Never underestimate the power of the smile you've left on your guests' faces!!!

Thanks again!

Room Tip: the King rooms are a little more cramped than the Double Queen rooms.
1  Thank Vinylpatch
Reviewed 7 June 2014

On June 4, 2014 I attended a day conference for local Athens business and marketing professionals at the Georgia Center. I have multiple disabilities (visually impaired, slight hearing loss, and to top it off I was in a wheelchair due to a recent injury that prevented me from being able to walk long distances). Our conference was in two different parts of the hotel. The Masters room on the first floor and conference rooms A - D on the 2nd floor. There was a break and refreshment area a fairly good distance from our conference in the Kellogg Concourse on the 2nd floor. Being a responsible person with a disability I started making arrangements with the Hotel about a week in advance of the conference for my particular special needs. I coordinated with Amanda Levy who was the contact for the organization that was hosting the conference. She was extremely professional and very helpful. She sent me maps of the facility, gave me the opportunity to request any accommodations I would need. The Georgia Center then exceeded my best expectations and had every little detail taken care of. I arrived at the GA center a few hours before the conference started so that I could become oriented with the facility and become aware of any unforeseen accessibility challenges that may have been present.

This is where the customer service went from excellent to phenomenal. I had only been in a wheel chair for a few days and thus my stamina was not built up sufficiently to propel myself for extended distances. One challenge that was unforeseen was the carpet is a bit plush and slightly high pile. While that has a luxurious foot feel for those that are on two feet for me it was pretty exhausting because of the extra resistance on my wheel chair. Our solution, since they knew I was coming to the conference they had already allocated some extra staffing resources to help me become familiar with the facility. I was greeted at the door and once I let the front desk know I had arrived and we determined the locations of all of the portions of our conference a staff member was pulled to help me navigate the facility and pushed my wheel chair up and down the halls and in and out of elevators for about 2 hours. Being that I am blind, I have to become very familiar with a new location to safely navigate with out using my white cane. The wheel chair precludes me from using the white cane entirely and I had never been to the Georgia Center before June 4, 2014. The staff member and I worked through many minor challenges such as finding the most accessible elevators (and how to safely enter and exit those elevators with a wheelchair), finding the restrooms that were and were not wheel chair accessible, checking each room on the 2nd floor where our conference was located so that we could ensure that I could navigate independently in and out of the rooms. The Georgia Center had a table reserved for me in each room (as per my request) where I could take notes and not have to transfer out of my wheelchair for each session of the conference. I had only asked that one of the rooms have a table with the track of the conference that i had planed to attend. But the Georgia Center when above and beyond and ensured that I had equal access to any of the sessions that I desired to attend which made my overall experience with the conference and the Georgia Center that much more enjoyable.

Before the start of the first session I realized that a voice recorder (which i rely on to catch words that i miss because of my hearing impairment) had dead batteries. After discovering that the hotel was out of AAA Batteries, they went above and beyond yet again and we got creative in getting me into a GA Center van and getting me over the the UGA bookstore at the TATE center to get extra batteries. The hotel helped me arrange for the batteries to be pulled and waiting at the customer service desk of the bookstore and the same staff member who helped me earlier helped me safely get from the van to the bookstore and back again (as I would have missed the ramp and turned into some stairs and rolled off into storm grates/ drains off of curbs had I been trying to do it by myself.) We were in and out of the book store and on our way back to the GA center in less than 10 minutes, even with dealing with my wheel chair. They do not have wheel chair accessible vans at the Georgia Center, however, UGA does have special needs curb to curb transportation and if arrangements are made enough in advance guests at the Georgia Center should be able to take advantage of that service as the GA center is part of the UGA campus.

In conclusion, I can't speak to their rooms or rates or other trip sorts of metrics but I can say that their customer service is outstanding and that I would definitely use this location for any conference that my company hosts in the future. I own a local small business and was duly impressed by the professionalism of the Georgia Center Staff!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We didn't want to stay here but other hotels in the area were full. Ended up being a nice stay. It was very clean and the rooms were fairly nice. Customer service was excellent. In the end it was about what we expected, maybe a bit better. Wife left bag in the lobby and they mailed it to us a few days later.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I have been attending the UGA Hotel for the last couple years. Today was the last. I stayed in the UGA suite and looked forward to it. It was not until I was told to not bring my Tahoe and 5x8 trailer to the South Campus Parking deck. I was told I could no longer park in the deck. No reason was given and I would have paid extra. The deck was not full and would have parked at the top deck. The hotel could do nothing and was not really their fault but, I give the a generous 3 because of the 700.00 I was about to spend with them for 3 days. The parking attendants and management are less then professional. UGA can thank them for this review and the loss of revenue.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business