“Inexpensive hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Athens
“Inexpensive hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Small rooms. Not very clean. Dark lighting in our room. Carpet in room needed cleaning, badly stained with something black that looked like oil. Bathtub had a couple of chips. Hotel seemed rather worn to be so new.

Room Tip: Just average low cost hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Harry F, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thank you for taking time to write us a review. Our guests' feedback is very important to us. In order to better serve you, we would love to speak with you further and gather additional details about how we can improve for you and future guests. Please feel free to reach out and let us know. We look forward to hearing from you and apologize for any discomfort during your most recent stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Watkinsville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

We had a long-term stay at this property - 73 days.

I worked directly with the General Manager and was able to negotiate a great rate and got upgraded to a "suite" that would also accommodate our two cats. The GM was very responsive to our needs and did all he could to meet our needs.

We checked in on Christmas night. It was relatively quiet and it took less than two minutes to get checked in. They had two luggage carts available for us to unload the pets and belongings.

We got to our suite on the second room; it is actually just a larger room with a sitting area with a sleeper sofa/seating area. The room also had a refrigerator and microwave. The room was extremely clean and no major issues whatsoever. It would have been nice if the closet was larger for our clothes but we made it work. The bathroom was also large enough for the litter box, water and food containers.

Over the next few days, we were able to move things around to work for us... and actually had the staff remove furniture that gave us more space. The staff was glad to help us.

The staff was very friendly and always acknowledged us and said hello whenever we came in or left.

The best example of customer service for me was the following: Towards the end, we had to go back to Rhode Island to pack up our home and would be away for 10 days. During that time, the staff checked on our pets daily and took care of feeding them and cleaning the litter box. That is certainly going above and beyond the call of duty!

To me, the only negatives were the slow wireless internet service in the rooms and constant lack of a working printer in the lobby. However, those inconveniences in no way affected our overall view of the property.

This property does get a lot of business and was sold out on many occasions.

In all cases however, the GM worked with us when we needed to extend our 60 day stay longer due to the closing of our home.

We would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: If you want quieter rooms, I would recommend lower numbers (away from elevators and ice machines...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write such a through review. It is guests like yourself that make the hospitality industry truly rewarding. Whenever we have guests stay with us for an extended time they become a part of our Sleep Inn family. From the entire staff of Sleep Inn of Athens, GA thank you so much, please do keep in touch!
Robbinsville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I had checked out of the Comfort thinking I was going to go home that evening. But a problemn at work caused me to have to stay another night. I had stayed at the Sleep Inn in Athens, GA the week before and I knew it didn't have the comforts little problems. So I called Choice Reservations and made one for this property. It has a Sonic next door and since I was so tired it was a convient place to get food to eat in the room. The room is every bit as good as the Comfort with a good office chair, refrigerator, entrance lighting and great water pressurre. The bed was very comfortable, the heat and ac was great ad the desk lamp lighting was great also.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert G
Thank you so much for taking time to review us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our staff. We are all extremely glad to hear you had a wonderful time while visiting Athens, GA. We look forward to you staying with us again the next time you are in Athens, GA.
Crawford, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

I just stayed 2 nights (the weekend before Christmas) and I was very impressed with the cost of the room being that close to a major holiday. With rates like that...all I expect is a clean room with no bed bugs...and that's exactly what I got.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Harry F, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write us a positive review and thank you for your warm words. As you may or may not know, the hotel is under new management as of 5 months ago. We are trying our very best to make sure we provide the absolute best hospitality and lodging experience for our guests. We understand that you have many options in the marketplace, and are pleased that you have made Sleep Inn & Suites of Athens, Ga your premier choice for you hotel lodging needs.

All of our rooms go thru a consistent and thorough deep cleaning program to ensure cleanliness and comfort.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write us a review. My self and the entire staff here really do appreciate it.

Warm Regards,
Chciago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

In general, a nice place, but there are some things you should know. Not exactly sure how clean this place is. It looks good, but I have my doubts. Breakfast included, but it is one of those hash and dash types, with nothing too substantial. Fitness room is typical few machines and pool is small, but will suffice. Stayed on the top floor and there was an incessant humming that was loud! Had to close the bathroom door to lessen it. Maybe there is a heating system up on the roof. Asked for non-smoking and got a smoking room which was very noticeable by smell and holes in comforters. Had to ask for coffee for the corning drip machine in the room. Windows had a film on them, probably from the abundance of smoke. So, you decide for yourself if it is worth it, but these are some things you may wish to know.

Room Tip: rooms that do not face the busy highway are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
It is with great concern and regret we received your complaint outlining the problem you had with your stay.

First and foremost, on behalf of Sleep Inn & Suites of Athens, GA. I would like to personally apologize for your inconvenience. We accept full responsibility for the mistake and I assure you we are taking the necessary steps to prevent it from happening in the future. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

We value our customers and ask you to please feel free to continue to provide feedback about our services. If you have any further questions or would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at my personal number 706.850.1261 (ext. 500) we look forward to continuing serving you as a valued customer.

Thank you for your invaluable support,

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

I generally expect a certain level of quality when it comes to the average chain of hotels and honestly don't expect too much. This one stuck out from the usual ones in a good way. I was there to visit a couple friends I hadn't seen in years.
Idk if it was the long drive that wore me out but I slept really well the first night. Slept good the other nights too. Location was good because it was near my friends, but its not a good choice if you are planning on seeing Atlanta. I usually avoid hotel food because I'm picky, but I gave it 4 anyway because if it was going to follow suit with everything else then I assume its good. Considering the price you pay, its a great choice if you want to stay in or near this area of Georgia.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DoughRly
Thank you for your posting on Trip Advisor and on behalf of the entire Sheraton Vistana Villages team thank you for spending your Orlando vacation with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay including your villa accommodations, resort location and Flagler’s Station Bar and Grill. We are also pleased that our staff was able to provide the exceptional level of service that our guests have come to expect from the Sheraton brand. If you would like to provide additional feedback please contact us at svvgm@starwoodvo.com.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor, and the entire Sleep Inn & Suites team thanks you for spending your time in Athens, GA with us. We are elated to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our location.

Please do come and stay with us again on your next visit to Athens, GA!

Warm Regards,
Austin, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Maybe my standards are different then other reviewers but there isn't much positive I can say about the Sleep Inn. From the moment you walk in the front door the carpet and furniture is dirty and the carpet is also loose and a tripping hazard. I was charged a $10 early check in fee even thought the room was ready and I arrived an hour or hour and a half early. The room itself had something all over one of the walls and there was no bedding provided for the fold out couch. I had to find someone from housekeeping to get it. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Harry F, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
It is with great concern and regret we received your complaint outlining the problem you had with your recent stay. When our hotel was built, carpet in the lobby was a requirement, we have noticed the issue it creates, as it is such a high traffic area. We are in the process of renovating our lobby area with a beautiful imported porcelain tile.

Our check in time is 2:00 P.M. and we use this to ensure that our house keeping staff has enough time to thoroughly clean the rooms and to make sure that our rooms are ready to go for the next guests.