“Management is horrible” 1 of 5 bubbles

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Athens
“Management is horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I also stayed at this hotel during the football season and had my rooms cancelled with no phone notification. I simply received a cancellation email from Choice Hotels. My credit card was working with no problems and VISA was contacted to see if a charge had been attempted. It had not! Management just lies when they see that rooms were booked before they can up the rate during football season. Patrons should steer clear of this hotel - especially during football season. You know it is bad when employees talk about how many problems they had because this (cancelling rooms) was done to so many people.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank VburgGal
Harry F, Front Office Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear VburgGal, thank you for taking the time to voice your opinions. However for you to slander our respectable management team is absurd. We do not pick and choose which reservations we want to cancel based on rate. That would be a clear violation of our hotel and corporate policy and we simply would not be able to operate at the level we do if this were the case.

You claim that you called VISA to ask if the card was charged...of course they would say no. Because the card failed the initial authorization. For us to even attempt to charge your card would be an after thought.

When you made your reservation you were clearly told that you are submitting your credit card as a guarantee for the room. The hotel reserves the right to authorize your card to ensure that you can actually pay for the room and that we aren't holding a room that won't be occupied or paid for, especially on a busy night.

I was actually the front desk agent who dealt with you, and so I am not entirely sure where this idea that our employees were complaining to you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Hickory, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

What can I say....its a hotel room....I've stayed in better, but also stayed in much worse for the same price. Rooms were clean, bathrooms were spacious, front desk folks were friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was not as good as Hi-Express, but your basic continental stuff was there....juice, coffee, toast, cereal....there was a waffle maker and some frozen sausage biscuits that you could microwave....unimpressive, but adequate.

We loved the location....right behind a Sonic Drive-In so a late night tater-tot & milkshake treat was great....also a short 10 minute drive to the Terrapin Brewery!

Room Tip: Parking lot is too small for the number of rooms (not enough spaces)....but you can park at the Soni...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Harry F, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear electicmess,

We are in the middle of upgrading our breakfast program and would love for you to come and try it when it is complete.

Kind Regards,

Harry F
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I had the exact same experience as Ryan C. (recent Trip Advisor review of this hotel). Booked four rooms in October 2012 for a UGA game weekend in September 2013 at a great rate. All four rooms were canceled by hotel in the spring. Thankfully we received an email from Choice about the cancellations. We were given same credit card validation excuse, which is a joke, since the card was actively being used everywhere. After an argument with hotel owner, we agreed to "settle" with two rooms at my original rate and two rooms at a higher rate. My question - what is a hotel reservation worth if the hotel can randomly cancel your reservation in order to book your room at a higher rate to someone else??!! This place can't be trusted.

Once we arrived, we continued to have problems. The hotel ended up booking five rooms (had to cancel one), computer in business center (a desk in lobby) was disassembled, and A/C's in second floor hallway were not operating. It is "acceptable" but not the cleanest of facilities. Desk staff (the ladies) were extremely courteous and helpful, apologizing for all problems and correcting what they could. A grey haired man, who I assumed to be the manager, was unfriendly and acted like you were asking him to give blood if you asked for anything.

Based on my year-long fiasco, I would recommend that you stay somewhere else in Athens If at all possible.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank LSUGoose

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Made a 3-room, 2 night reservation in October 2012 for September 2013 for Football Game. Hotel management cancelled my rooms in April 2013 without notification claiming that my credit card would not process. The rooms were booked with a valid card and had a "cancel without penalty" clause until 6pm day of arrival. My suspicion is that the hotel staff saw the cheaper rate I was able to confirm and wanted to make 3-4 times more a night on the same room.

The only reason I found out about the cancellation was by calling the hotel 3 days before arrival to ask for rooms near each other. Spoke with the manager who claimed that the hotel called the number I provided (my cell phone) over 10 times in a 2 week period in April and left voice mails each time. I have no record of missed calls or voice mails. When I told the manager this, his tune changed and said "well it wasn't me who made the calls so I really can't help you."

Stay away from this shady operation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ryan C
Harry F, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel

As you indicated in your headline, you made reservations during a UGA Home Game Weekend. All reservations received over these home game dates are subject to the same guidelines that all the hotels in the Athens market apply during these home games. Reservations, regardless of rate booked or when, are subject to a 30 day cancel clause, which is also stated at the time of booking. The credit card that was provided at the time of booking is authorized. If the card is declined we contact the party based on the reservation information provided and the client is asked to provide another form of valid payment or the reservation is cancelled so that there is no confusion with the client as to the status of their reservation prior to arriving at the hotel. There is no reason why we would treat your reservation any differently to what we have explained and we go through all of these steps so as to avoid the situation you indicated. I apologize if you feel that these guidelines do not apply to your reservation.
Massapequa, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Canceled my reservation 2 weeks in advance yet i will be billed for the night. Considering it is a football weekend and the reservation will SURELY get booked to someone else i find it ridiculous. Now I wouldnt stay there again if my life depended on it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank bob f
Harry F, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear, bob f

I am sorry that you had a negative experience with our hotel. For certain high profile event weekends our hotel, along with practically every other major hotel in the Athens area, implements a strict 30-day cancellation policy. We always make sure we inform the guest of this policy when they are making the reservation. It is also clearly noted on your e-mail confirmation.

Unfortunately this policy is a necessity due to the vast amount of reservation fraud that is committed on game day weekends.

I have sent you and e-mail to discuss this matter in more depth and come to a mutual resolution.
Canton, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

I have stayed at his hotel several times. I really like the staff and the rooms are spacious and clean. The only fault that I can find is the Internet speed. I was getting faster data speed on 3G. I realize that with many people sharing a connection, it can slow down. However, this was at 3:30 in the morning so I doubt that there were many users online at that time. I travel for business and often need to download files and work at night. he slow speeds hurt this. Other than that, I really like this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ghosthiker
Hello Ghosthiker, thanks for taking the time to write us a great review. Thank you for your kind words regarding our room conditions and staff. I have passed on the remarks to the respective departments and I assure you everyone is always elated to hear such remarks.

Let me apologize on behalf of the internet speed. Generally our high speed internet speed is more then enough for the moderate user. However we have had a group from an architectural firm that is staying long term with us and they begin working on their laptops early in their morning and completely eat up a lot of the building's bandwidth.

On your next stay please stop by the front desk and we will ensure that your particular laptop's MAC address receives uncapped bandwidth to ensure you receive a fast and speedy connection.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while in town for a wedding. The hotel wasn't bad, but I mosy likely would not stay here again.I personally would like a hotel closer to the downtown Athens / college area. There are shops, restaurants, and the mall nearby, but it took us 15+ minutes to get where we were going. I could have done better research on the location...

Hotel room was okay sized, with 1 king bed. Mini fridge was a nice bonus. Room smelled a little musty, but nothing terrible. Bed was comfy and had small cushiony pillows. The bathroom needed repairs! Just a heads up, there were cracked floor tiles and discoloration in the shower. Although not attractive, it was still clean and thats really all I care about.

Decent price for what you get, maybe could have been a bit cheaper. I missed the breakfast, so I cannot comment on that. I was disappointed that they didn't have water or coffee out throughout the day, as some other hotels I have stayed at typically do.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello staceyben, thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are indeed a little bit outside of downtown Athens, the majority of our guests prefer this location due to less traffic/noise that is typically found around downtown. On a normal day it should not take you longer then 10 minutes to drive down Atl Hwy to get to downtown, however traffic does fluctuate greatly on the weekends.

I am sorry that the bathroom maintenance was unsatisfactory, we have located which room you were in and since repaired the cracked tiles.

Also, we have always offered water, juice, and coffee throughout the day 24/7. It is kept in our breakfast area as opposed to our front desk area, as per local health department rules and regulations.