“Solid BBQ, Possibly Best in Athens”
Review of Harry's Pig Shop - CLOSED

Harry's Pig Shop
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Have been to all BBQ joints in Athens and I would say this one is the best, usually. Went there recently and enjoyed the pork plate. Meat was tender, had decent smoke flavor, little fat, and overall good flavor. Sides were pretty good too, baked beans especially. Banana pudding is to die for, get one to go. Only place around that has a good mustard sauce, not too sweet and not hot at all. This will become my go to BBQ place.

Do not be deterred by the shopping center location, once inside it is very nice, clean, and friendly.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

When we asked where to get the best BBQ food locally we were told Harry's......we weren't told that we would be having enough food to sink a battleship......food was fantastic ...fried green tomatoes, chicken wings as big as a turkey.....everything was fantastic....including doggy bags....enough food for 2days.....try it out....

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I went here for dinner based on a recommendation and I was blown away. The bbq was awesome. It was so good we ordered some more to go for lunch the next day.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I met a group of friends here for lunch, so I was able to sample several items on the menu. The pulled pork had a good smoky flavor, and it was nice and moist.. The pulled pork plate was ($7.99) I tried the mac and cheese, green beans, and squash casserole.
The mac and cheese noodles were undercooked, it didn't contain much cheese, and some kind of spicy powder was sprinkled on top (not good). The green beans had the same kind of spicy powder on them. There wasn't much of a flavor at all to them (not good). The squash casserole wasn't terrible. The only ingredient that I could taste was the squash. I made the mistake of ordering the brisket plate($10.99). It was extremely dry, and looked like a piece of moist beef jerky. I've tried a lot of brisket, and this was by far the worst I've tried. The flavor was very mild; the only thing that made the brisket edible was a soak in the sweet sauce.
The prices were high for the quality of food.
In my experience any other BBQ restaurant in Athens would be worth a visit before going to Harrys.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

With a name like Harry's pig shop, a vegetarian might not think this is another restaurant where you are stuck with a salad and fries. The fact is, there's plenty for us to eat there...including tofu sliders that are just out of this world. Lots of yummy sides, although they randomly put bacon in things lie potato salad (and its ground up in there, so there's no eating around it). The fried green tomatoes are delicious, as are the sweet potato fries (which are thin and crispy, not thick planks like other places). Recently they've started serving a small bag of popcorn coated with their barbecue rub, salt, sugar, butter and a few "secrety" ingredients...but it's so yummy.

Of course the carnivores in my family are well taken care of. My wife, in particular, loves the pork tenderloin sliders. They come with a honey horseradish sauce that's unbelievably good.

The only issue I have is that over the past year, they have consistently made portions (particularly the sides) smaller and smaller. Today, I paid $2.49 for a side of, frankly tasteless, squash casserole that came in what other places consider a sauce container. Very disappointing.

But, overall, worth a visit.