“yummy food and great group”
Review of Georgia Food Tours

Georgia Food Tours
Ranked #2 of 6 Tours in Athens
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“yummy food and great group”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Very much enjoyed the choices of food establishments and the makeup of the group. Although it was purely accidental the group vibe was awesome and the guide, Stella, was terrific.Good energy.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank psychmom1

“Agro Cycle Tour from a car!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed experiencing the Spring Farm Tour from a car! My companion and I had time to stop at a great antique store run by Jimmy Poss, take pictures, and cheer on our new cyclist friends as we travelled to each farm. I'm still in awe of the dedication and passion of these genuine, down to earth ( literally) farmers who shared their experiences with us. Equally impressive and enjoyable was the farm sourced meal at the end, using produce that we had just seen growing in the ground! Everyone chatted amiably with each other, and we wished the farmers success in the upcoming busy summer growing season. Since this great tour, I've found myself wondering about how the new piglets are faring, and if the strawberry plants we saw have turned red and are ready for the market yet. Amazing glimpse of a way of life so different than the neighboring college town of Athens.

Visited April 2014
Athens, Georgia
“A Magical Experience!”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We did an Athens Food Tour for our parents weekend and it was incredible...the combination of sweet and savory foods was perfect and we were totally full by the end but not way overstuffed. Hearing the stories of the owners of all the restaurants was the coolest part (well, maybe it was their food that was the BEST).The bucket list tour is a must-do for UGA seniors! Thank you Mary Charles for giving us even more reasons to appreciate Athens :)

Visited April 2014
Martinez, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“First time participating in a food tour - Downtown Athens”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

ourfamily of 4 with 2 boys, 17 and 18, participated in the Athens Downtown Food tour on a beautiful Saturday afternoon/early evening. Our tour group of 13 met in front of the UGA arch on Broad and College as was instructed in the confirmation email I received. We were met by a very friendly guide, Stella, who also gave us additional information on the history of the UGA arch since we were not from around there and did not really know much about Athens.
The tour started with appetizers at a seafood restaurant. We all had separate plates of appetizers consisting of boiled shrimp, breaded conch, and steamed oysters. I am not particular to oysters but I gave it a try and this was actually good. The breaded conch was surprisingly not too bad but I don't think I would have again since I really don't like the taste.
Our second stop was at a vintage clothing shop. Probably wondering why we were there since this was a food tour but they actually had dark chocolate truffles in 3 different flavors. Yum! I had the "hazelnut" flavored truffle but was also able to sample the red wine truffle shared to me by one of my boys. Both were excellent with a rich, creamy consistency and the dark chocolatue had the right balance of sweetness and bitterness. The other flavor was a salted caramel which was also very good according to my husband.
On the way to our third stop, Stella kindly stopped and waited for us to feed our meter since we parked right off the street. That was greatly appreciated!
We then proceeded to a bar where they served us 2 kinds of appetizers, pimento cheese on thinly toasted bread with a jelly-type spread and dark-chicken tenders with aioli sauce, as well as salad with our "main" entree of panko-breaded chicken with mashed potatoes. I nice way yo finish off with this restaurant was with a thin and crispy coconut cookie which my boys really enjoyed.
After this restaurant, we headed to a brewery. We were served a grilled cheese sandwich (I can't remember what type of cheese) and pita bread with basil infused hummus. The sandwich was okay but I did not much care for the hummus. I preferred original hummus flavor.
Our last stop was on the roof top bar of an old revived theater where they hold concerts and shows. We did not get to see the inside of the theater because they were getting ready for a show that night but the roof top was crowded, small, and loud. This was definitely a scene for the younger crowd and 20 or so years ago for us but I did notice quite a number of older adults accompanying their college aged children. At this place, we had a peanut butter chocolate cookie baked by an entrepreneur who decided to go this route instead of finishing his PhD. The cookie was just okay...I think it was not baked all the way and could have used more time in the oven.
All the restaurant stops served us some type of alcoholic beverage. Since my husband and I don't drink much (like almost never) and our 2 boys are underaged, we couldn't enjoy that portion of the tour. When I signed up for this tour, I thought it was mostly food with a small amount of alcoholic beverage served but I was wrong! To be fair, they offered my kids a nonalcoholic drink at the first stop and coffee at the brewery. We didn't stay for the drinks at the roof top bar.
Overall, this food tour was average since we don't have anything to compare it to. Our guide was efficient and pleasant. All the waitstaff in all the stops were friendly. We'll try it again in a different city and compare. Also, we you don't imbibe in alcohol and have underaged members of your party, the cost of the tour may not be worth the price.

2 Thank SherilynAD
Atlanta, Georgia
“Awesome food (and drink!) tour of Decatur :) :) :)”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband and I went on one of the company's first tours in Decatur, GA. We met up at the beloved Brickstore and indulged on their fantastic draught beer and appetizers. Then off to Leon's Full Service where we learned about their local purveyors and enjoyed standout food, drink, and atmosphere in a roomy booth. The selections were perfect but my favorite involved peanut butter. You have to go there and ask to see what else it involves. Then off to Cakes and Ale! This (sorry Brickstore! Ack!) was my favorite stop of the evening. Each dish had such wonderful flavor so we could not rush to the next one, we just savored. I ordered some additional macaroons to take home. I don't know which wine we enjoyed but it was splendid- dry with a hint of sweet. Next was Mac McGee Irish Pub for bangers and mash, fish and chips and Irish Whiskey, Guinness, and cider. Owner Dave gave us background info about his restaurant and what we were enjoying and needless to say, we were *enjoying* :) It was then time to hit BlueTarp Brewing Co., where I really enjoyed the Funk Weisse. We had a ton of drink tickets and took a tour of the brewery. (As if we needed it!) our thoughtful tour leader then provided delicious donuts from a bakery down the street. Ok, maybe we did need it because they were awesome. I would love to do another tour with this company again. Perhaps for my birthday I will round up some folks for a tour of a different area of Atlanta. It was so fun!

Visited February 2014

Been to Georgia Food Tours? Share your experiences!