“Very accomodating”

Ranked #11 of 423 Restaurants in Athens
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We arrived with no reservations and the wait for a table of 2 was about an hour long. We asked the host if there was any other restaurants in the area that were close by and he recommended a few including their sister restaurants down the road. We looked around the bar/waiting area and noticed a small table with no chairs and asked him if we could just pull up some chairs. He said it wasn't a normal table to eat at, but he would arrange a server to take care of us. I had the Angus burger and my wife had the crawfish étouffée, both were delicious. The server took care of us really well, but unfortunately we didn't get her name. On the way out, I asked one of the employees who the host was and he said it was Reggie, the owner. We were definitely impressed that the owner took care of us and made a table work.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

The food and the service were both excellent. The Shrimp & Grits appetizer was the best my husband and I have ever had. It was lick-the-bowl good! As an entree, I had the Southern Fried Chicken - again a real hit. The chicken was crispy and tender and the sauce/gravy was the perfect blend of flavors without being heavy or tasting like flour. My husband had the dish with eggplant, crab, shrimp and crawfish. While the flavor was good, he was hoping for a little more spice in "low country" cuisine.
Our meals were an excellent value with a salad included with the entrees. (The creamy garlic dressing was VERY good.)
The service was excellent with everything timed perfectly, a very friendly waiter and hostess. Everyone greeted us when we came in and said goodbye and thank you as we were leaving.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Reggie knows what Southerners mean by making your bed and lying in it. He delivers his Crab cakes -- to die for -- and Fried Green Tomatoes -- good even the next day and sitting cold in a to-go box-- on the most delicious bed of veggies anyone could hanker for. The crab cake sits atop a bed of steamed corn, but really a spectacular take on maque choux; the fried tomatoes --light and just the right thickness -- rest on outrageously delicious Hoppin John. Top both of those with just the right amount of remoulade sauce and you are going to close your eyes and thank the Lord for Reggie's good education and good taste. The service, the bar, and the kitchen all deserve "the gold."

2  Thank Gabriele S
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I was expecting the food to be good, but it was much more than that. Some very good French/Cajun recipes. The quail & mushrooms is a must try. The wine list is also very good and the service just made it perfect. The prices are really low considering the type and quality of the cuisine.

1  Thank hdmarett
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I have had the pleasure of dining at George's several times and have, each time, had a good experince. They have a very nice menu selection of Southern inspired low country cuisine. Twice I have eaten the braised short ribs and once the shrimp & grits...all very good. They also offer nightly specials, which always sound scrumptious. The atmosphere is calm & pleasant, although the dining room is on the small side; however there is some additional outdoor seating plus bar seating. The staff has always been friendly & attentive. George's is on my list of favorites, and is located away from the bustle of downtown, and the chain restaurants on the Westside.

1  Thank Mimi615