“Nice Food, slow service”
Review of Heirloom Cafe

Heirloom Cafe
Ranked #22 of 415 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$6 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Despite having only four or five tables, my business party of five had to wait several minutes at every turn. From initial order to food delivery - no special orders, three burgers, a fish plate, and a salad - took over 40 minutes. There were service delays of multiple minutes, including asking for our order, asking for dessert, and collecting our credit card. My business companions tell me that I should think more "Southern". I don't get it.

As for the food, we had the fiddlesticks appetizer, shown in the first picture. The local greens had a crisp taste, but were buried in too much oil for my taste. Two other eaters liked them more, while two people didn't like them. We all enjoyed our main courses. I particularly liked the cheddar and mayo flavors that accompanied but did not overwhelm the meat. It was a better burger than Five Guys, my Athens standard.

We tried a couple desserts. I thought the shortcake (not on the standard menu) was very good, but not spectacular. Two other people really enjoyed ice cream sandwiches, which did look tasty.

Heirloom is a pretty decent place. I wish the service was attentive; from comments here, it seems like our experience was not unusual. That would make this a place I'd like to visit again.

There are newer reviews for Heirloom Cafe

Reviewed 25 March 2014

There’s something about a young woman with a milky complexion and flesh on her bones, a modern dairy maid, extolling the virtues of grass fed beef and a hamburger made from a single cow. She recommended to me that I should order my cheeseburger medium rare... well, that was downright sexy.

But first things first. We were a party of 6, celebrating graduation from medical school and liberation from 8 years in Athens. Cocktails seemed in order and boy o boy does this restaurant have some good ones. I had a Manhattan like no Manhattan I’ve ever had before. It was served in a wide mouthed, stemmed cocktail glass. The drink was clear and dark toffee colored, smelling faintly of muddled orange and cherry and tasting of sweet whiskey. Half way through this libation every woman in the place was beginning to look pretty good to me. I felt dashing.

It was at this point that the waitress arrived with our Georgia olive oil, bread, and fiddlehead appetizers. These were tasty. Some minutes later she returned began describing the wonders of her grass fed beef. This was charming and surprisingly sexy as I mentioned above. It was also somewhat comical in that two in our party were vegetarians. I sensed them cringing. We all had burgers though, 4 beef done medium rare, and 2 vegetarian burgers done however these are done.

I decided against another Manhattan and sobered up with a glass of Shiraz. Not bad. The burgers we enjoyed with chips and a fig salad. For dessert I had the rhubarb tartlet which was sweet and tart and featured a crispy yet buttery crust. Wonderful.

The service was homey and unhurried if not particularly polished. The waitress made off with my fork when she removed the appetizers, leaving me with no means to poke at my salad when it arrived with my hamburger. My wife was able to scrounge another from a nearby table. No worries.

We’ve dined here before and have always enjoyed the kitchen-like atmosphere and the al fresco option on pleasant mornings and evenings. This evening we took the table just inside the doorway of this converted garage. And for roughy $45 per person we had a delightful farewell dinner to Athens, drinks, desserts and all. Perhaps some who read this will choose this restaurant for dinner on the other side of their time in Athens. This restaurant will be around awhile. It’s a good one.

ps beware the boy at the bocce court outside. He cooly sips a soda while tempting first time diners to a game. The kid cheats. Don’t bet anything. Just go on to dinner.

1  Thank Wladovich
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We went to Heirloom for the first time after reading positive Tripadvisor reviews, and were somewhat disappointed, The building, according to our waitress, is a converted auto shop, and has a neat, funky look. Our server was pleasant, attentive and helpful. After placing our order for a chicken salad and meatloaf sandwiches we waited at least 20-25 minutes for our food to arrive. The chicken salad was very creative with fruit and nuts. However, the bread, which was either toasted or grilled, was overdone, and the sandwich was very dry. The meatloaf sandwich had a very distinctive taste, but the meaty part of the bacon strips was burned and the fatty part was under cooked. The chips that came with the sandwiches were ordinary. Not worth $10-$11 each.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Feels like a small town diner...serves farm to table food bought locally! Delicious! Love eating outside when the weather is nice. Sometimes pricey, but I love knowing my money is going to support people and businesses in my community!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I really liked the environment of this place, it was in what looked like an old garage, so it had really cool windows. The menu was small but lots of good options. I had Quiche with pricustto, arugula and Gouda. It was small, but pretty good. We also had Shrimp and Grits, really small portion, but really good, it was in some roasted pepper sauce that really gave it something extra. The staff was really friendly and the service was pretty quick. It was crowded, but since there was only two of us, we sat pretty quickly.

Been to Heirloom Cafe? Share your experiences!