Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Athens
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsroom was cleanenjoyed my staycomfortable staybagelsexcellent stayuniversity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We were in Athens for the GA/Vandy game & were able to book the room just 2 weeks before game, which made us think it would be a "roach hotel", but it wasn't that bad! Especially after reading some of the reviews. It's definitely old & in need of some repairs, but it's really not that bad. The room did have a musty smell, but it was clean. We brought our own sheets & lysol to be on the safe side. There was a decent looking continental breakfast but we didn't try it, for no reason other than we wanted something different. The location wasn't too bad but not walking distance to downtown. The cab ride for two to downtown Athens/Sanford Stadium (about 4 miles away) was $20. We would stay here again if there was nothing closer available.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We always enjoy our stay at this clean and well managed hotel and would return. The breakfast is very good. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are spacious. The hotel is conveniently located near major roads. Many good restaurants and stores are nearby.

Room Tip: All rooms are pleasant and quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Recently visited (7/19-22/12) and was not disappointed. I was in search of a clean bed and clean bath. Microtel delivered. The hotel must have apparently been remodeled since the 2010 traveler photos that were posted. I didn't try the continental breakfast, but I saw others that seemed to enjoy it. The front desk staff was pleasant and attentive. The cleaning staff, however, OUTSTANDING. I wish that I had gotten the young lady's name, but she was extremely pleasant and helpful. She provided clean linens, etc without being overly pushy as we generally keep the "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door when traveling. The location is convenient. The one thing that puts the Microtel in a different category, in my opinion, is the management. I lost a necklace, so I thought, while there. I called back once I noticed it missing and the management searched tirelessly to recover it. I mean searching laundry and all. For this reason alone, I would stay again if I were in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2012

This hotel was just what we expected for the price.The room seemed clean, everything was in working order, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. To be honest, I have no idea what some people expect for forty bucks. You're not going to get a room at the Hilton at that rate!

Regarding the staff... At one point, as I was walking through the lobby, I noticed a woman pointing at something out the front window. The manager (owner, I believe) jumped up and hustled out the door. When we got outside, I realized the car door I heard shutting was my own! My husband had left the door wide open after cleaning out the car! The manager was out there in a FLASH. I know because we were right behind him! He was VERY helpful. Furthermore, my husband said he noticed a couple being turned away at the front desk, and from what he observed, it seemed the couple had no intention of staying the full night. It was comforting to know that even though the building is a tad outdated, the manager/owner still makes a valiant effort to run a respectable establishment.

The hotel is in a decent location, close to the loop and just a few minutes from the heart of town. There is a Target DIRECTLY across the street, a Publix just around the corner, and TONS of restaurants in the area.

The only things I could possibly think of to complain about (and they're trivial, really) are the sweltering heat in the hallways and no elevator to the second floor. But really, how long are you planning on hanging out in the hallway? And a quick climb up ONE flight of stairs isn't going to kill you.

To sum it up, if you are looking for a decent place to stay that won't cost a fortune, this is it. (Be realistic about what you're expecting for forty bucks.)

We are already planning to stay again this fall.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Here's my feedback from the survey that the hotel sent me:

(1) Clean up - our room was halfway cleaned (meaning sheets were clean, but dingy - bleach would help. Clean the walls, carpets and update fixtures (my daughter who is three could not take a bath because there was no stopper (my wife and I were afraid to even try to take a shower because of the rusty showerhead. So everyone ended up taking standing baths (2) Don't allow smoking and pets if cleaning isn't a priority - the hallways are musky and hot. (3) Place a better emphasis on security - we stayed in Room 201 and when you exit the building using the door on this side of the building you must literally slam the door to ensure that it looks, this is very unsafe and puts guest at great risk. (4) To sum it up, just set a higher standard and hold to it.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel. I wish I would have paid the extra $100 and stayed at my usual hotel chain.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family