“Flat out great Jamaican food”

Kelly's Jamaican Foods
Ranked #96 of 420 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Jamaican
Description: One of the best restaurants in Athens Classic. I was surprised to see it was not listed.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was bummed when I made it to Kelly's with my girlfriend and her parents and saw that they were out of jerk pork, about which I've heard good things. By the end of the meal, I had completely forgotten about the pork because everything else was fantastic.

I ordered the jerk chicken with a side of cabbage and greens (all for only $9 dollars plus tax). This was some of the best chicken I've had in my life. It had a smoky flavor like regular BBQ, but unlike BBQ, it was moist, and the jerk sauce was a little sweet and a lot spicy. The greens were solid, and the spicy cabbage was SPICY. (If you're not into spicy, try the mac and cheese.) I also tried a few of my girlfriend's fire plantains; they were sweet and earthy. For the price, you get quite a bit (I left stuffed).

The service was also very warm. You order at the counter, and they serve you up a Styrofoam plate brimming and bowing with food. So there is not much traditional "service," but the elder gentleman working that day was about the sunniest man I've met in my life. I imagine part of this is a bit: the Jamaican man with a sweet disposition. If it is, he plays it well. If not, he is truly one of the friendliest men walking the planet. Either way, does it matter? It only adds to the experience.

All in all, Kelly's was a culinary experience I'll recall fondly for some time, and when I am in Athens again, I'll be returning (hopefully for some jerk pork).

1  Thank John R

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

An enjoyable and filling meal. Jerk chicken is genuinely spicy, bang on for me I really liked it but would be too much for a good percentage of people I suspect. Spicy cabbage had a sweetness which complimented well and cornbread was excellent. Friendly staff.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Any time I can get goat without preparing it for myself I do so. I can't do goat this good. As awesome as the grub is here, Kelly's cookin really shines when he takes his show on the road. Anytime you can catch Kelly's booth at Athfest or a street fair or something, please help your belly out by availing yourself of whatever's offered.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I daydream about this food. It is really so good and at a great price. I am going to get some today!!!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I LOVE Kelly's Jamaican, especially the chicken jerk. It is SO flavorful. The vegetable sides are great, too. I highly recommend it for delicious eats and laid back atmosphere and low prices.