“Who wound of thunk!”
Review of Iron Horse

Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was a fun find in the wilderness of rural Athens! We loved walking up to this giant of a horse and touching the sculpture. (a note of caution, I believe this is on private property as the field was full of crops.) please be respectful and do not disturb the crops. This is a must see. I love the story behind the horse and that it is still there!

1  Thank Leslieonthego
There are newer reviews for Iron Horse

Reviewed 10 October 2013

You can only see this while driving, but it looks good! However, given the fact that it is in a farm, sometimes it is difficult to see it when it is surrounded by tall corn.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Like a couple of others, I can say that I have seen the horse several times, but always from a vehicle, and usually above 50 miles per hour. The iron horse is not a thing to do, but merely a statue in a privately owned field several miles from Athens. While it is interesting, visitors to the Athens area should not put this on the list of "attractions." The massive iron sculpture does have an interesting history, as mentioned by another reviewer, so it overlooks crops rather than UGA, which was its original home.

I am rating it as "poor" as an attraction, because it is not something to do at all.

3  Thank GeorgiaGal09
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Just a note that the students of UGA were not very tolerate of quality art. This sculpture caused such a protest on campus in 1960s that it was moved to farmer's field near Oconee River. It looks great there and I have been seeing it now for almost 40 yrs and so have our kids. I enjoy it everytime I travel GA15 South.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I have often driven by where the iron horse stands. In summer it is hard to see but in winter he is just awesome.

1  Thank Renee G

Been to Iron Horse? Share your experiences!