“But our meal / experience was excellent!”
Review of Sakura

Sakura
Ranked #211 of 415 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I realize that different people have different opinions, and can have different experiences, even on the same night.
We agree with @mumiller1 comments entirely. Our server Michael was very good. We went on a Thursday night and it was 'slow' so of course that will usually result in receiving doting service from the staff.
I do not know what kind of hibachi chef that @bgreening is used to, but ours was entertaining without going overboard, as I have seen some chefs do.
We agree with @DEBORAH M about the taste, but our portion was so big that my wife needed a 'doggie bag'. The atmosphere was nicely done (without too much red colors as you often see in Asian restaurants) and it was VERY clean.
YES, hibachi eating is on the expensive side, by its nature, but the BOSS thought it was a great date night, and to me that is priceless.
We had the Samurai Roll appetizer, a glass of plum wine, a domestic beer, chicken hibachi, salmon hibachi, which with the $5 coupon, and a $12 tip, was $67 for the two of us.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My wife and I wanted to treat our son to dinner and thought that Japanese would be a real treat and entertaining. Wrong! I guess our hibachi chef was probably the least entertaining I have ever seen . Total lack of excitement. The food was adequate but not as good as I came to expect at Japanese restaurants. We went there due to it being the higher rating of the only 2 in Japanese restaurants in Athens. The prices did rival or exceeded what you expect at evening dinner at a Japanese restaurant.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Don't let the strip mall location deter you from coming in. The interior is clean and updated- not like a lot of the tired looking hibachi steak houses. Our chef was entertaining. Our server was attentive. The meal was delicious and fresh tasting. We'll definitely return!!!

Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

The food and service were excellent. The atmosphere is fun, however serving size needs to increase dramatically.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

When eating hibachi, there is the expectation that you'll get 'a show' as well from the chef. Ours didn't really do so--did the egg in the hat trick, but didn't engage us in anything, like the sake squirt or even catching broccoli or a veggie in our mouths. We were surprised by that, as the other chefs seemed to be doing it at the other tables.

Regardless, the food was well prepared and was delicious. The price, I thought, was on par with other hibachi places, but the interior was far superior. Absolutely beautiful atmosphere--not cheesy looking--very elegant, actually. I would definitely go back.

Been to Sakura? Share your experiences!