“My Favorite Restaurant”

Ranked #1 of 427 Restaurants in Athens
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Whenever we are anywhere near Athens, we eat at the Last Resort Grill. It has been moved up to my favorite restaurant for multiple reasons. First the food. So flavorful. My favorite is the chicken in a bag with home made ribbon noodles. They have wonderful home made salad dressings. Everything we have eaten there has been full of flavor and never a disappointment. Second, the atmosphere is so quaint. It is a little crowded but that almost makes it part of the fun. Sitting on the patio in the spring/fall is always a extra special treat. Love Love this place. Go, you won't be disappointed.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,148)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Went with a group of 5 around 5:30 PM and the place was only partially filled. By the time we left at 7 PM the place was packed and had a long wait list on a Thursday night!

The Last Resort Grill has a casual but intimate feel to it. Walking in the front door you are instantly drawn to their cake display filled with cheesecakes and multi-layered cakes of which they are well known for. We all ordered wine, teas or sodas along with starters of sweet potato gnocchi and caroline crab cakes. Both starters were excellent!

For dinner we decided to all try something different in order to taste one another's. Our dinners included salmon & grits (good), pork belly (very good), new southwestern roll (good), chicken in parchment (good) and our all around favorite pecan crusted blue trout (excellent)! Each and every main meal was delicious and cooked very well. The entrees did take a bit of time to "roll out" but we were fine with our drinks (quickly refilled by Gary). Unfortunately, one of our mains never did arrive and after checking with Gary he immediately handled the missing meal with speed and ultra professionalism. My meal was "comped" (though I said that was not necessary) and the entree came out around 1/2 way through everyone's meal. Gary was so gracious in his handling of the mistake that it really made up for it.
Afterwards we enjoyed 3 different types of cheesecake and cappuccinos for a relaxing finish to our meal. Living in Europe for the past 16 years I am used to having the table "all night" and though we did not stay "all night" we never felt rushed or pressed for the table. That is something rare in a busy restaurant in America.
I would definitely return to the Last Resort and Grill the next time we return to Athens for a UGA visit as the food is great and our service was excellent!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was in Athens for work and found this gem. The waiter recommended the short ribs that comes with mashed potatoes and a warm kale salad. The dish did not dissapoint. The ribs were fork tender and flavorful. The kale salad was just as impressive. all their dressings are also homemade.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

It was very quaint and the food was wonderful. When our hotel desk person recommended this "Southern Food" restaurant, I was a little skeptical. I was thinking Southern Buffet....but definitely NOT. The waitress convinced me to try the horseradish crusted salmon with split-pea puree - OMG, it was delicious!!!! They had a wide variety of pasta and steak options. The wine by the bottle list was extensive, and the wine by the glass list was very international. I will definitely eat there again the next time I visit Athens!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Went here with parents and boyfriend for dinner on a Saturday night. Although we had to wait almost an hour for seating, everyone in our party agreed that it was worth the wait. The service was friendly and the food was delicious! My parents loved both of the salmon dishes they had (horseradish crusted salmon, salmon and grits), and my boyfriend enjoyed the pork belly. We had shrimp quesadilla for starters, and the portions for each part of the meal were the perfect size. The only criticism I have is about my dish, the texas pork loin. It was a bit sweeter than I was expecting...but still good. The price for 4 "big plates" (which includes bread and salad), 1 "small plate," water, and 1 diet coke was ~$80 + tip. Due to the large number of people in a relatively small space, LRG is loud and lively. If you're into that kind of atmosphere, as well as classy yet unpretentious dining, this is the restaurant for you!