“I've always enjoyed my time here.”

Sandy Creek Nature Center
Ranked #6 of 50 things to do in Athens
More attraction details
Owner description: The nature center is a facility of the Athens-Clarke County Department of Leisure Services and partners with Sandy Creek Nature Center Inc., a non-profit support group. This 225- acre wildlife sanctuary includes over 4 miles of nature trails, providing access to a variety of habitats typical of the Georgia piedmont: river floodplains, wetlands, upland pine and hardwood forests, fields, ponds, and streams. In 2012, Sandy Creek Nature Center completed a major expansion funded by SPLOST and community partnership dollars. Over 4,000 square feet were added to the Education & Visitor Center, including new exhibits and a planetarium. Sandy Creek Nature Center is open to the public Tuesday through Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Property and trails are open sunrise to sunset daily.
Athens, Georgia
“I've always enjoyed my time here.”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Let's see where to start.......my kid has been to camp here, loved it.
I've played Disc Golf here.....loved it !
Been to a concert here, loved it!
Dog show, the same !
Every time I have been here, I have always enjoyed myself, especially the North Georgia Folk Festival, wow was that a good time !
If your visiting Athens, be sure to stop by.
Get a bigger display aquarium for those Diamond Back Terrapins however. Way too small.

Visited June 2014

Bishop GA
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Really is a nature center”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I went there this morning with a friend with mobility problems. We walked safely and with enjoyment on the wooden-ramped trail. Heard and saw about five kinds of birds, enjoyed naming the trees, saw an Eastern box turtle. It would be impossible not to learn something new in their recently renovated exhibit hall. We both enjoyed the turtles, fish, snakes, and frogs. The small library was cozy and had terrific books.

Visited August 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Family fun and educational”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Visited with my 5-year-old on a sunny day. He loved the turtles as well as all of the hands-on activities. We had so much fun, we came back for a second day! Gives an excellent overview of Georgia habitats and industries, in a format that allows for rich interaction between adults and kids.

1 Thank Angela L
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great little getaway...for any age!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We did a quick visit to the Sandy Creek Nature Center. It was my husband, me, and my parents (in their 60's). It was a perfect little stop along our way in touring Athens. We walked through the very well-done education space and then walked the ADA accessible wooden path. Spent about an hour there on a gorgeous spring day! Loved it!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank tammy l
Mountain Rest, South Carolina
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Nice to be outside”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We went on a Saturday morning. We got there just in time to join a free nature walk around one of the trails. There were 10 of us ranging from ages 16 months to 76 years. It was nice to be outside on a beautiful sunshiny day. But we also ALL greatly enjoyed the exhibit hall. It was neat. The children really enjoyed it. They could touch things and explore. Definitely would go back again. It was all free. They also do birthday parties there, but I do not have any details on that.

Visited February 2014