“Closed at 8 pm?”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Last Saturday night a group of friends and I were in town for the holidays and wanted to go out to eat. We went to East West at 8:15 and they had already closed the kitchen for the evening! On a Saturday night? I guess I shouldn't be surprised because when I looked around there was only one other table in the whole restaurant. I then asked if I could buy a gift certificate for Christmas for my parents who live in Athens. I was told they don't sell them anymore. What?? I heard from friends there is a new owner. If this is the way they do business it is unfortunate. I was so put off by the experience...or lack thereof, I won't be back. Sad to see an iconic Athens restaurant seem to fall apart.

1  Thank Marie1171

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I really wanted to like this place a lot, and there was nothing wrong with our meal, so I'm not sure what exactly felt off about it for me. The place itself is nice; I like the decor. I thought the food had really great aspirations - we got the sweet potato chips and fried chevre as appetizers, and I had the bistro vegetable ramen - and I think they slightly missed the mark. It was good, I just wasn't wowed, so perhaps I placed too-lofty expectations on the meal.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stopped in here for lunch on a day sightseeing. I had the mahi mahi fish tacos. They were amazing and accompanied by some of the best hand cut French fries I have ever had. Service was great and a very rustic atmosphere. Would definatly go back and I highly recommend you stop in if you find ourself in Athens.

2  Thank Peelatus
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We went to have appetizers and drinks before a show. We had bruschetta and pork egg rolls. The bruschetta was so stinking fresh and flavorful, probably the best bruschetta I've ever had. The pork egg rolls were also delicious and not greasy, but they did not compare to the bruschetta! The drinks were small and weak, but we fixed that by just having more than one :)

2  Thank Katherine B
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The food is fresh and the atmosphere is good. Menu was limited though. Suggest making a reservation for dinner on a weekend.

2  Thank Ellynn B