“Not for Carnivores or Diabetics” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 410 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Corona, California
“Not for Carnivores or Diabetics”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I must admit that I expected a restaurant in Georgia, named "The Grit" to have really fantastic tasting grits. But, I was very disappointed. They were tasteless and not very appealing. The main reason we went there (besides the grits) was because they were supposed to be gluten friendly, and other friendly for my guests' other food issues. It was not to be. I had the veggie omelette. I t was edible, but nothing special. No seasonings and no fresh vegetables worth writing about. My spouse had raspberry pancakes, which were the best item of the meal. The hot tea was not hot, and they did not readily want to give more hot water. The guest with the food issues did not really find anything on the brunch menu that would qualify as a food friendly meal. The service was good to start, but after the meal was served, no one came and it was very difficult to get the check and to pay. Very little good protein choices for people with diabetes.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Georgia
“Veggie!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I am a meat lover, but tried the "chicken" and mushroom pot pie. It was delicious and I didn't miss the meat at all. VERY flavorful with delicious herbed biscuit crust. The portion was HUGE and I could have easily shared.

Visited January 2014
Lacey, Washington
“Perfect for us”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

We recently visited The Grit on our little mini vacation to Athens and we absolutely loved the food. Eating in a vegetarian restaurant just makes us feel a little bit safer as we know the food won't contain anything that really shouldn't be there, if you catch my drift. No worries about chicken broth, or bacon or things that we don't want to be eating. They are located on a little strip that has some parking across the street. We went when school wasn't in session, not sure how crazy parking would be if it was.

We started with the chili nachos, not the healthiest choice, but man alive they were good. A delicious, flavorful black bean chili smothered in white cheddar and crispy chips. Served with salsa and sour cream. We ordered the Golden Tofu bowl, which was a new take on tofu, breaded with a hint of some type of maybe soy sauce with nutritional yeast over brown rice and again, smothered in cheese. There is a healthier version with veggies, but we weren't eating there to be healthy. It was so good we nearly made ourselves sick trying to finish it. The sweet potato fries were hot, crisp and cooked perfectly. The only fail was the gyro, we just didn't really enjoy it as much as the rest.

We would absolutely come back here again, great, friendly service, good hot veggie food and full bellies.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Apopka, Florida
“Delicious, Fresh Vegetarian ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

The Grit is a unique restaurant with excellent, fresh food. I had a hard time deciding what to get since they had so many delicious options. They had plenty of choices for vegans as well as vegetarians.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fresh tasty healthy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Great service and good quality freshly made food. Homemade ranch dressing is always a good sign. Will be back.

Visited November 2013

Been to The Grit? Share your experiences!