“A landmark of Athens vegetarian cuisine”
Review of The Grit

The Grit
Ranked #11 of 415 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Athens, GA
“A landmark of Athens vegetarian cuisine”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Grit is famous in Athens as a (very) casual, unpretentious, affordable place for delicious vegetarian food. Whether choosing among several options for the vegetable plate, one of the daily specials, or something off the menu, we always wind up with a generous portion of something yummy. Though we are vegetarian, there are plenty of omnivorous customers to keep place hopping for lunch and dinner, not to mention the weekend brunch. The atmosphere is kind of funky and many of the waitstaff can be found playing some sort of music on stage later on downtown. I wouldn't go with the expectation of 5 star dining, or a quiet candlelit salon, but for authentic Athens and a lively experience it is well worth trying, especially for the visitor.

• Visited March 2014

New York
“Great place to work on your powerpoint stuff.”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I really enjoy the GRIT's atmosphere. when I wanna eat something light with a couple of beers and nice music.

Visited February 2014
Corona, California
“Not for Carnivores or Diabetics”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I must admit that I expected a restaurant in Georgia, named "The Grit" to have really fantastic tasting grits. But, I was very disappointed. They were tasteless and not very appealing. The main reason we went there (besides the grits) was because they were supposed to be gluten friendly, and other friendly for my guests' other food issues. It was not to be. I had the veggie omelette. I t was edible, but nothing special. No seasonings and no fresh vegetables worth writing about. My spouse had raspberry pancakes, which were the best item of the meal. The hot tea was not hot, and they did not readily want to give more hot water. The guest with the food issues did not really find anything on the brunch menu that would qualify as a food friendly meal. The service was good to start, but after the meal was served, no one came and it was very difficult to get the check and to pay. Very little good protein choices for people with diabetes.

• Visited November 2013
Georgia
“Veggie!”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I am a meat lover, but tried the "chicken" and mushroom pot pie. It was delicious and I didn't miss the meat at all. VERY flavorful with delicious herbed biscuit crust. The portion was HUGE and I could have easily shared.

Visited January 2014
Lacey, Washington
“Perfect for us”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We recently visited The Grit on our little mini vacation to Athens and we absolutely loved the food. Eating in a vegetarian restaurant just makes us feel a little bit safer as we know the food won't contain anything that really shouldn't be there, if you catch my drift. No worries about chicken broth, or bacon or things that we don't want to be eating. They are located on a little strip that has some parking across the street. We went when school wasn't in session, not sure how crazy parking would be if it was.

We started with the chili nachos, not the healthiest choice, but man alive they were good. A delicious, flavorful black bean chili smothered in white cheddar and crispy chips. Served with salsa and sour cream. We ordered the Golden Tofu bowl, which was a new take on tofu, breaded with a hint of some type of maybe soy sauce with nutritional yeast over brown rice and again, smothered in cheese. There is a healthier version with veggies, but we weren't eating there to be healthy. It was so good we nearly made ourselves sick trying to finish it. The sweet potato fries were hot, crisp and cooked perfectly. The only fail was the gyro, we just didn't really enjoy it as much as the rest.

We would absolutely come back here again, great, friendly service, good hot veggie food and full bellies.

• Visited December 2013