“never had a bad meal here”
Review of The Grit

The Grit
Ranked #13 of 419 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Awesome food. An Athens classic. Menu is quite varied and always has something to satisfy even the most skeptical carnivore in the group.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Grit is famous in Athens as a (very) casual, unpretentious, affordable place for delicious vegetarian food. Whether choosing among several options for the vegetable plate, one of the daily specials, or something off the menu, we always wind up with a generous portion of something yummy. Though we are vegetarian, there are plenty of omnivorous customers to keep place hopping for lunch and dinner, not to mention the weekend brunch. The atmosphere is kind of funky and many of the waitstaff can be found playing some sort of music on stage later on downtown. I wouldn't go with the expectation of 5 star dining, or a quiet candlelit salon, but for authentic Athens and a lively experience it is well worth trying, especially for the visitor.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I really enjoy the GRIT's atmosphere. when I wanna eat something light with a couple of beers and nice music.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I must admit that I expected a restaurant in Georgia, named "The Grit" to have really fantastic tasting grits. But, I was very disappointed. They were tasteless and not very appealing. The main reason we went there (besides the grits) was because they were supposed to be gluten friendly, and other friendly for my guests' other food issues. It was not to be. I had the veggie omelette. I t was edible, but nothing special. No seasonings and no fresh vegetables worth writing about. My spouse had raspberry pancakes, which were the best item of the meal. The hot tea was not hot, and they did not readily want to give more hot water. The guest with the food issues did not really find anything on the brunch menu that would qualify as a food friendly meal. The service was good to start, but after the meal was served, no one came and it was very difficult to get the check and to pay. Very little good protein choices for people with diabetes.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I am a meat lover, but tried the "chicken" and mushroom pot pie. It was delicious and I didn't miss the meat at all. VERY flavorful with delicious herbed biscuit crust. The portion was HUGE and I could have easily shared.

Been to The Grit? Share your experiences!