“Breath of fresh air”

State Botanical Garden of Georgia
Ranked #2 of 54 things to do in Athens
More attraction details
Owner description: This 313-acre preserve is used by the University of Georgia as a horticulture laboratory and is open to the public.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I've lived in and around Athens for the last 30 years, and I never tire of the State Botanical Gardens. The Arboretum is stunning and impeccably maintained. The grounds are beautiful, even in the dead of winter. There are examples of plants from all over the world with gardens dedicated to different geographical areas of the US as well as other nations. There are some places where the plantings have grown over the descriptions, making it difficult to tell what you're looking at. The only precautionary I have is to go to the restroom before you start walking the grounds. There is really only one public bathroom outside of the Arboretum, so you better go before you start walking the trails through the garden.

1  Thank lindafreddy5
"year round"
"indoor area"
"different areas"
in 7 reviews
"a great place to spend"
"small cafe"
in 101 reviews
"bloom"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Beautiful garden. Lots of different venues to explore, inside and outside. Small cafe with sandwiches. Gift shop had plants for sale. I want to go back when I have more time to explore.
$2.00 suggested donation per person.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This place was on my bucket list and I finally made my way there yesterday. It always amazes me when I discover a place like this which is so close to home and yet I have never experienced it. This is a lovely and serene place. The garden area is actually larger than the North Carolina Arboretum (recently visited), and is at least as pretty. There are several garden areas, indoors and outdoors. There is a natural "shade" garden which is amazingly peaceful. We also walked a few of the trails and were pleased to find ourselves alone. It's so hard to find anywhere in a populated area such as Athens where you can find this kind of solitude and peace. The river was pretty brown because of the recent rains so I look forward to returning when the waters are a little calmer. This place is a real "keeper" and I'll be back soon. Oh yes, it's free and the gardens are wheelchair accessible.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is Athens's best attraction in my opinion. The gardens are beautiful, but my favorite activity is walking the trails. Very friendly and helpful staff. You can spend hours here exploring and it's all free.

1  Thank Jeff D
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a wonderful place to visit in the heart of Athens---beautiful gardens with many varieties of trees, shrubs and flowers and markers to explain the species. My only complaint is that the visitor center was actually closed--- on a busy Saturday in May--- so we had no map to help us find our way around. The garden is small enough that we managed but it would have been nice if maps had been made available.