“Dirty Rooms and Horrible Customer Service by Mr. Singh”

Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Please do not stay at this hotel. First of all, it is NOT in walking distance to downtown athens and the UGA campus. It is located directly behind a liquor store which attracts the local "night life" all throughout the night. When we arrived, the room was not clean. The toilets had mold around the rim and the sheets had visible hair on them. This only begins the nightmare. I requested a late check out and the manager was reluctant to grant the request. He finally did, but the housekeeper showed up at 8:30 asking to clean the room. We informed her that we had a late checkout and would leave at 11:30. This did not stop her, she showed up every 30 minutes banging on the door. When I finally checked out, I though all was well only to learn 3 days later they posted another charge on my card in addition to the room fee. I called the hotel manger (Mr. Singh) and he told me I had taken some items from the hotel. I tried to explain to him the items were never placed in our room on our 2nd night stay. He was extremely rude and refused to give me the number in order to file a complaint. Mr. Singh told me that it didn't matter if I called customer relations because they would not do anything anyway. He hung up the phone on me several times and then diverted my calls to the answering machine. I finally contacted customer relations for choice hotels and was told this matter would be handled. It was not!! They told me I would have to speak with the hotel manager in order to resolve the issue. Of course he will not take my calls or refund my money. It is truly not worth the few dollars that you save because they get you in the end. I will definitley be staying at the Holiday Innn Express on my next visit. The service at the Holiday Inn Express is wonderful and they really are in walking distance to the UGA campus and downtown Athens. Please do not stay at the Comfort Suties Inn on North Ave. ever!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Rochelle S
comfort100, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2011

Dear Rochele

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor

I have spoken with Mr. Singh, the owner, regarding your situation. There are always two sides to a story and we do not intend to offer any false advertising as to our service and location

The items in question were towels taken from the room, which we check on a daily basis to meet our service levels equal to the Holiday Inn

We are within walking distance of downtown athens and we are rated as such with our Franchise as well as with the Athens Convention and Visitors Bureau

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and that you will give us the opporunity to serve you again

There are newer reviews for Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We were in town for a baseball tournament and this hotel was conveniently located to the baseball fields. The staff was friendly was able to give us good directions and was able to recommend good places to eat. The indoor pool was great for the kids after a long day of games. The breakfast was good and it had a good variety even after being there for almost a week. Overall our team enjoyed our stay here and we will be back. Thanks!

Reviewed 1 August 2011

The hotel was an excellent value. Breakfast was included. It was good, but only average. The rooms were spacious and the layout was good. The bed, furniture and floors were in very good condition and CLEAN!! The floor was clean enough to walk around in socks and not have them turn gray or black! The best part was the staff. We arrived a day early for our reservations and stayed an extra day. The staff was helpful and accommodating. Every staff member we met, from the manager to the clerks to the cleaning staff were friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Ask for any available discounts.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
comfort100, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

thank you for your comments , we appreciate the feedback

Reviewed 30 July 2011

Average location, close to but not within walking distance of campus. There's a sometimes noisy liquor store next door, with a lot of noise in the parking lot at night. The furniture in the room is beaten and laid out in a crowded fashion. Toilet is noisy too, sounds like a plane taking off. The continental breakfast is unimaginative with canned fruit cocktail. You'd be better paying more to stay closer to campus if that's where most of your activities are.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

We are located in downtown athens and we are within walking distance of the UGA Campus

We offer a full hot breakfast and all our rooms are suites with a separate living roon

We are priced very competitively with our downtown competitors

Reviewed 13 July 2011

me and my family took a trip down to georgia to see our other family members. we booked our room here and everyone was extremely helpful and respectful to us from the beginning of our stay to the end. my kids enjoyed the pool area and i especially liked the fact that they had a gym room in the hotel so that i could still keep in shape whiles on vacation. the breakfast was great in the morning, they had a wide variety of food to eat. the room was always kept clean and in order by the staff. i recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to had a great carefree stay when they are in georgia.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
comfort100, Owner at Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

we understand that most of our guests enjoy our services and the value that we offer in th Athens market

Reviewed 12 July 2011

We stayed here one night for our son's UGA orientation. Room seemed ok. I just checked my on-line banking, I paid with a debit card. They charged me an extra $150.00 besides the $102 for the room. I called the hotel, the person could not speak English clearly at all. He said he charged me because I "messed up the comforter". First of all, I never used the comforter, he said he called me, but said I gave the wrong number. He would not let me talk to the manager and said he won't help me anyway. He was EXTREMELY RUDE!! I called Choice Hotels customer relations, The woman said there is an automatic $150 charge that is supposed to come off when a debit card it used, then she said there was nothing documented that there was a problem with the room, I was put on hold, and they hung up on me!! I called back, filed a formal complaint again, and the mansaid I will hear something in 72 hours from that hotel! He was very short with me. I will never stay at a Choice Hotel and I don't recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank cms14

While we disagree with your choice of headline being misleading to our guests , we understand your concern with how this matter was handled

When you present a debit card as a form of payment, the bank processes the card as cash and holds a percentage up to 20% above the amount to be charged. These funds can be released back to the card holder's account

Reviewed 24 April 2011

This hotel was a few miles out of the way, but It was well worth the drive. It is also a little hard to find. Other than *driving* into downtown, there is nothing around. (Don't be fooled by the name of the hotel, it is not in downtown... it is nearby. ) The desk clerk was very helpful in helping me find a place to eat. The hotel looks brand new. It was very quiet while I was there; just a few cars in the parking lot. The rate was very reasonable for what provided. The rooms are the usual Comfort Suites layout, separate living and sleeping areas with a little wall between the two. I took a swim in the pool and relaxed in the hot tub, all very nice and brand new. Everything worked in the room, and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was the standard 2 hot items + regular continental fare. I met the GM at check out. He thanked me for my business and checked me out. If I am in the area, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid 1st floor
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

We are considered and evaluated as a downtown hotel with our Convention & Visitors Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce

We appreciate that you enjoyed our amenities