“Appropriately priced, comfortable beds” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown

Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Athens
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Appropriately priced, comfortable beds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here twice - about three weeks apart - for business purposes. The front desk associates actually remembered me the second time, and we're extremely friendly and helpful. The room could have been a little cleaner, but it wasn't bad for the most part. If you're expecting the Plaza Hotel, you'll be disappointed. The beds, however, were the most comfortable hotel beds in which I had ever slept. The location is fairly good too. It's not in the best part of town, but it's only a mile to downtown and about 1.5 miles to UGA.

Stayed May 2014
csathens, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank your for your review on your recent stay with us. We are glad we were able to accommodate you on your recent visits to Athens and we hope we see you in the future as well.

Thank you for the business and we look forward to seeing you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Fayetteville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

My son and I stayed here while we attended a UGA game. They were very understanding with everything as well as had a great breakfast with hot and cold foods. Everyone was wonderful to us from getting a taxi to the game to helping us when we came back after the game. Next time in Athens I will stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words on your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to having you stay with us in the near future.

Thanks for the business and we hope to see you again!
Lilburn, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Be careful with this hotel. The college age staff is capable but the management staff struggles with the English language and doesn't understand the concept of customer service. This property is fine for a night for a business man but don't expect much beyond a basic room and hope you don't have a need to speak with the GM or Manager.
Also, this hotel is right next to a mediocre liquor store so there is a bit of questionable foot traffic around the parking lot and hotel. While the hotel is "downtown" it is on the eastern fringe.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Douglas L
comfort100, Public Relations Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Mr. Douglas,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to our online guest survey. We understand that your time is very valuable and we appreciate your commitment to improving our brand.

I understand that you had some problems with your stay, and we apologize for that. We are often not able to change reservations that are made with a special offer, and those deals are always described in full before guest booking is confirmed.

We are a mile north of Downtown Athens, but we never have any problem with vagrants or the customers from the liquor store next door, that operates on very reasonable business hours.

If you decide to stay with us again, we would be happy to help you with any problems that you encounter. Happy travels,

Irina Garner
Comfort Suites of Downtown Athens Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I originally booked a room for 4 nights, but checked out after 2 d/t the unpleasant conditions at this hotel. Although the Lobby has apparently been given a 'face-lift', it belies the condition of the rooms, especially. First, the hallways and rooms were dark and gloomy, and the hallways had a dank odor. I noticed a dehumidifier sitting in the hall when I checked in--that was the first red flag! Then, the only elevator, which is small, is incredibly slow. Finally, my room gave me the creeps. Although I didn't actually encounter any "dirt", when I put my feet on the carpet, it was so old and threadbare it almost felt damp and greasy--I never put an unshod foot down again! The beds were very high, and the mattress had a spot that I rolled-into, regardless of where I started-out in the bed. The pillows were hard and lumpy--TG I brought my own!

I've been a Business traveler for 10 yrs, and have stayed in countless hotels in over 83 locations--this was really quite unpleasant, and extremely disappointing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LM454
csathens, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown, responded to this review, 12 May 2015
We are extremely glad to hear that you felt at home during you stay with us! We do our best to accommodate the needs of our guests during their stay. We sincerely appreciate your kind words and look forward to your next trip to Athens!!
Crawfordville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

the room was wonderful, spacious and very relaxing, The staff make the whole stay worth while. Friendly and helpful. From the Manager to the Janitorial team we met with a sincere effort to make our stay complete.

Room Tip: I cant imagine any room being "not acceptable:
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
comfort100, Front Desk Services at Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Happyguest209,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to our online guest survey! We understand how valuable your time is and we appreciate your feedback to help improve our services.

On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your high praise! We always try our best to provide a hotel that is clean, friendly, and safe. We thank you for your stay and we look forward to your future stays with us!

Irina Garner
Comfort Suites of Downtown Athens, Georgia
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Upon arrival, I noticed I was some distance away from downtown Athens, so the name of the property is somewhat misleading (about 2 hilly miles). While walkable, the only business right there is the liquor store out front which as luck would have, they assigned my first room overlooking its parking lot with people driving in and out and right next door to the elevator. When I complained, I was told the only other thing available was the handicapped room which was thoughtfully explained to me as having a lot of metal bars. I declined and decided to widen my bedding choices. My next room was two doors down but at least didn't look out on the liquor store parking lot but the back side of some strip row housing.
This room had a lot of wear and tear (ie. the control housing the hvac actually didn't-you have to operate it from the unit itself-contrary to the written hotel guide in the room-I didn't realize this until the next morning and assumed the system didn't even work, rips and tears, and some hair in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable, however and I did receive a good night sleep.
When you first walk in to the hotel you are greeted with a blast of chlorine, which is from the pool's indoor hot tub/pool which was also a nice accessory given that it was too cool for most other properties in Athens to have their outdoor pools open.
Breakfast was nothing to write home about. A lot of starches, nothing that could really qualify as "healthy" except possibly the raisin bran. The juice machine juice was disgusting watery and completely artificial. BLAHHH.
I will definitely try to make another choice when I return. Oh and yeah, even though status at Choice Hotel properties really doesn't mean anything, no mention was made of my status.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
comfort100, Guest Services at Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Sir,

We appreciate the time you took to fill out our guest survey, as we understand how valuable your time is.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel, located a mile north of downtown Athens. Though your room was around the corner from the elevator, we are sorry if the noise from local business disturbed you, but I am glad we could move you to a view that was more comfortable for you.

Our breakfast does include a hot breakfast, and we understand that some travelers have special dietary needs. For that we do offer a healthy array of yogurt, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, wheat toast and bagels, and cut fruit along with our bran cereal to help everyone make the healthy choices they need. We are always looking for ways to improve, so thank you for your feedback in that area.

We are currently in the process of renovating, in fact this season we are installing new carpets in many rooms, and all of our rooms will be getting full new linens very soon.

Our indoor pool is a big draw to locals and distance travelers alike, and we are happy we could provide you with an indoor pool in less than appealing weather.

If you are traveling through Athens again, we hope you decide to stay with us so that we can show you proper hospitality to you!

Irina Adams