Hilton Garden Inn Athens Downtown
Holiday Inn Athens-University Area(Athens)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$105
Hampton Inn Athens(Athens)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$136
US$106
US$82
US$114
US$109
Quality Inn & Suites Athens(Athens)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$174
US$160
US$142
US$136
All reviewsclassic centergreat locationconvention centerwithin walking distanceparking garagedirectly across the streetrestaurants and barsroom was cleannice hotelper daythe hotel staffuga campuscollege townwould stay here againbusiness tripstaff was friendlyfront desk staff
Reviewed 26 August 2008

I hadn't been to Athens in a few years, but I remembered that there wasn't a whole lot of choice when it came to hotels. My travel service at work booked my stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. I was pleasantly surprised. My room and bathroom were impeccable. No stray hairs on the bathroom floor (I hate that!) or on the bed linens and towels (I almost always find these at similarly priced hotels). I was just thrilled with the cleanliness (can you tell I'm a germaphobe?). The bed was comfy, and the black granite countertops in the bathroom were lovely.
The staff were helpful and pleasant, there is a parking garage on site, and you couldn't ask for a better location.
All in all, a pleasant stay. Since it will probably be a year or two until I get back to Athens, I hope the Hilton maintains the quality of this hotel. Keep it up!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank cbuie
Reviewed 13 July 2008

My daughter and I stayed at the Hilton while we were there visiting the campus. When I told the reservationist why were coming to Athens, she gave me a student discount, so we paid $119 per night plus $8 for parking. The hotel and our room was very clean; the staff very friendly and helpful; and the bed was VERY comfortable. Breakfast was okay. I would have eaten at the Bluebird Cafe around the corner, but they were closed.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank NCJulie
Reviewed 28 May 2008

I was in town for a wedding and opted to use HHpoints for the new Hilton Garden Inn downtown. As expected, I loved the location. It's just steps from a number of restaurants, stores, etc. and only a few blocks from the Arch, which welcomes you onto UGA's North Campus.

I was given a suite on the 8th floor with a separate bedroom. The TV's were both flat-screens and I give the furnishings two thumbs up. There was a stand-alone shower along with a jacuzzi tub.

The review I read before my stay regarding the AC controls (and how they cutoff automatically) gave me a good heads-up. The hotel book in your room explained that every room does this to conserve energy, but it does say that you can request an engineer to come up and disable the auto-shutoff during your stay. I thought it was okay and let it be, but I could see how this could be more of an issue as the summer heat takes hold.

The buffet breakfast was extremely good and the service staff were very friendly. I was surprised that my late checkout request seemed to be so problematic. As a Diamond member, I kind of expect a 100% success rate on such a request, but the front desk's response to my request made it sound like I was very lucky the late checkout was granted.

All in all, a really good visit. This would be my first pick for lodging for future visits.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank MountainDawg
Reviewed 23 April 2008

Pros: new, fresh, very nice staff, good location, convenient parking, comfortable mattresses.

Cons:The hotel owners are cheap and want to trick their guests by installing digital thermostats with pre set temperatures which can't be adjusted. Be prepared to walk into a sweltering room after being out and about during the day. There are sensors in the room which shut off the a/c when you leave.

Enjoy the new white cotton down comforters which are an improvement over the slick, polyester floral bedspreads they used to have but be prepared to sweat because the a/c will shut off during the night. I called for blankets as a more comfortable light weight alternative but the night maintenance man (11 pm) couldn't find any and also didn't know how to override the pre-sets on the thermostat.

The cheap poly cotton blend sheets also feel awful when you are overheated. The prices at this Hilton Garden keep creeping up especially during popular times. At almost 200 per night I expect to be able to control my room temperature without having to face the hassle of requesting a thermostat override every 48 hrs. I also expect all cotton sheets at those prices and some decent blankets.

Currently the Hilton Garden is the only game in town (except for the UGA conference center hotel which is often full and only open to UGA visitors).

Athens visitors are at a disadvantage because of the shortage of nice accommodations.

If you stay here, be sure to call ahead and request that the thermostat override be competed before your arrival. If you hear the fan come on a few mins after you enter the room, it means the thermostat override is not in effect and the a/c will be off during the night and when you exit the room.

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank anonj
Reviewed 30 March 2008

I stayed here for one night because I was in town for the Dawg Trot race. The hotel was full when I called directly to the hotel but I was able to get a room via an online service. We checked in at around 6 pm. The check-in was quick and they have warm cookies at the front desk in the evening/ cold fruits in the morning. Rooms are comfortable and appear clean on the surface, but it was obviously not vacuumed because there were M&M candies randomly spilt on the floor. The housekeeping staff is so overworked they might be skimping on the actual cleaning if the room looks decent to the eye. Since the hotel is relatively new, people may overlook simple housekeeping items if you want a nicer hotel. I got the impression that some rooms may only get a thorough cleaning once a week or so (if that). There is too much turnover to allow anything other than that and be able to get people into their rooms as they arrive to check-in. We were not allowed a late-check out either due to the fact that 20 other rooms already were checking -out late according to the front desk staff. Service is pretty bad, but who needs it anyway. They don't even tell you where the elevators to the rooms are after you check-in. Smaller lobby, so we were able to find it ourselves after walking to the wrong area first.

• Stayed: March 2008