“Comfortable stay for a price savvy customer!”

Best Western Athens
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersGold level
Pikeville, TN
“Comfortable stay for a price savvy customer!”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We had heard this Best Western was recently renovated from some friends of ours, so we decided to stop for the night while on our way to see relatives in South Georgia. The place is in excellent shape, we could tell that they stay on top of things. Our room surprisingly had a flat screen TV- would've expected that at a pricier hotel. Can't remember the price we paid exactly, but I want to say $70-80? Not sure. Fair price, considering breakfast is free. Staff was also great with directions and local recommendations.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hebrew first
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Check-in was fast and plesant. Staff waas helpful in chosing a resturant.

The room was older but renovated, clean and met all of our expectations. Parking was convnient. Swimming pool looked nice but not enough time to enjoy. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This motel is close (about a 10 minute drive) to downtown restaurants and the University of Georgia campus. The motel staff is friendly. This motel is across the street from The Varsity restaurant, which has an ATM cash machine. There is a button at the corner crosswalk to stop the traffic and give pedestrians a walk signal. There is also a Shane's Rib Shack restaurant next door to the motel. There is a coin guest laundry. Our room had an HD TV. (To get to the HD channels, start at channel 2 and use the channel-down button to get to the highest channels.) Our room, 112, appeared wheelchair accessible. The bathroom had extra handholds. I appreciated the ones in the bathtub. It was nice that there was no step up to get into the room.

This property is a little better than a typical Motel 6. It will do if there is nothing better available or affordable.

However, here is what I told Best Western on their survey when they asked why I said I was not likely to recommend this property to a friend:
"Mainly the electrical outlets. The one on the desk lamp on the desk was intermittent, and mostly didn't work. The one behind the bed, that I needed for my CPAP medical equipment, was loose from the wall, and one of the sockets in it was so worn that it wouldn't hold a plug in. But I had to use this for my CPAP, and also wound up using it to operate my laptop computer. Also, the internet connection via WiFi and Ethernet was unreliable. It would work maybe half the time, sometime being unavailable for hours at a time. One day the maid left only one bath towel for the two of us. Another day she didn't leave a backup roll of toilet paper, for the two of us, so I bought some TP that evening at a pharmacy. I didn't care for the fruit punch at breakfast. I prefer the usual apple juice. One day our key cards quit working at our door. Also, the security key reader lock on the guest laundry door doesn't lock. By the way, the phone in the room doesn't work, as there is apparently no place to plug it in. The phone jacks in the desk lamp are broken. I stumped my toe repeatedly on the bed frame. My impression was that it had moved and was sticking out too far. The fridge makes a chug-chug noise continually. I adjusted to this after the first couple of nights, but my wife complained about it for at least four nights."

Room Tip: Stay at a better property. Next time I might try the Holiday Inn Express, as it is close to downtow...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
11045, Front Office Manager at Best Western Athens, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I would like to address several of the issues you mentioned. I see that you stayed in rm 112 for several days. I went to the room to fix as as much as I could based upon your suggestions. The phone has been fixed, it was connected in to the Ethernet jack instead of the phone jack.The towels were limited one day due to a state wide high school sporting event, I apologize that you were shorted, we did not for see the schools using the extensive amounts that they did. I personally did not hear the chug-chug from refrigerator during the time that I spent in the room, but we all different sensitivities. I don't know why you left without back up toilet paper, but please be aware in the future that we always provide extra amenities at the front desk, you should never have to buy your own. I have to assume that the spotty Internet may have been to due to the phone being plugged into the wrong jack. Key cards can be known to stop working for several reasons. We purposely keep the guest laundry room unlocked due to sooo many of our guests forgetting their keys and having to chug up and down stairs to get their laundry. I did walk to parameter of the bed and didn't see anything wrong with the placement of it, but I wasn't walking it in the dark and can understand that distances can vary based on the height of a person. I am very happy to inform you that what appears to be your main concern will be fixed as soon as the parts arrive; during the latest Best Western Conference, we found the neatest and newest gadget designed to maximize outlets. Due to ALL the new electronics offered which ultimately require chargers, it has become a common request in all lodging facilities for more outlets. The good news is that the new device we ordered will attach directly to any piece of furniture and have FOUR plugs, plus an Ethernet jack. Please start looking at the other hotels you frequent and look for these devices, I'm positive you find them very handy. I hope I addressed all of your concerns and have been able to show you that your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 706-546-7311.

Karla Reiner
Assistant General Manager
BEST WESTERN Athens
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Having grown up on Athens and my elderly parents still there I know what the town is like on a big football weekend. My father fell ill just before the UGA vs Tenn weekend. Knowing how hard it was going to be to find a place for us to stay. My first call was to the Best Western since we have stayed before. When I explained the situation the manager was so helpful was able to squeeze us in for the weekend. Thank you to the caring that the whole staff shared.

• Stayed September 2012
Valdosta, Georgia
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Came for a game with a few buddies. We booked this place thinking that it will be a great experience. This place was average, I was expecting it to be flawless based on what I was reading on here. My room smelled and tv signal kept going out. My car had a mysterious big key scratch as well. The breakfast was alright, I feel like for the price I am better off going else where next time.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ugadawg473
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I stayed here one night, and I have to say this place was horrid. The room even though looked clean they certainly were not! The management seemed aloof. When I called the front desk to inquire about the the cleanliness, they said they would return my call and they did not! Also this motel is in a really sketchy area, and I sort of felt scared all night. I came here thinking with all the positive reviews that this place would certainly be appealing but boy was I wrong. Avoid this place!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank springfunwall12
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed a week and loved the place. Negative reviews seem to be nit picking as I found it brilliant for the price and the coupon I had was honoured after a bit of haggling. Good for uga stays and not too far from downtown Athens. Would stay again for sure

• Stayed January 2012