“Nice for the price, but nothing great”

Best Western Athens
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The hotel is a nice choice in Athens at a great price. You do get what you pay for. What I mean by that, is that this is a Best Western, so don't expect Hilton standard. With that said, the room was mostly clean, although there was a stain on the sheets. We also had a jacuzzi suite, and the extra charge for this suite, was not worth the cost. To make the suite, they have simply removed one bed from a double room and placed an oversized jetted bathtub in the corner of the room. The jets worked, but lacked any real power.

Front desk staff were very friendly, and breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Hotel is nice and a good place to stay, but don't spend extra for a jacuzzi room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
11045, Owner at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Joe E! As you mentioned, we are a property that is considered to be mid-market, which means that we will have much more modest prices- while not sacrificing cleanliness and comfort. I feel this is a strength of our property and Best Western as a whole since we are able to hit a larger segment of the market that would potentially stay with us as opposed to the more upscale brands as you mentioned.

With that being said, we strive everyday to be the best property we can. Providing guests an excellent experience at an affordable cost is why we come to work everyday. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future. 706-546-7311.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Best Western never disappoints: friendly and helpful staff and owner, all of whom go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. This time because of impending inclement weather I did not know whether to stay an extra night or leave asap to avoid bad driving conditions. They had no problem providing a late checkout so I could get the needed information. As usual, my room was clean. The location is convenient to the University and downtown. I have stayed at this Best Western many times and will be back soon!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
11045, Manager at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

I am so glad that you had yet another wonderful stay with us Kathleen S! It has been great seeing and getting to know you over the last couple years that you've been a guest. It was so nice to see you this time upon getting your braces off! Congrats, your smile looks great! As you know, if there is anything we can help you with, please don't hesitate to give us a call. 706-546-7311.

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

About 5 years ago my wife and I stayed here while attending a conference and found the hotel to be decent. Fast-forward to now and we found the hotel to be lacking.

Reservation was made online, and in the comments we requested a crib. This has not been an issue at the approximately 20 hotels we have stayed in during our travels since our child was born. Upon check-in we were informed there were no cribs. At all. I would have assumed someone at the hotel would have seen the comment in our reservation and notified us we could not be accommodated, but this was not the case.

After getting into the room we found there was an issue with the toilet that required maintenance. We called the front desk, and were told the problem would be logged for maintenance. Assuming it would be fixed that evening, we went out to eat. When we returned, it didn't take us long to find the toilet was in its same state. My wife went to the front desk to get more towels while I gave our child a bath, and she asked when the toilet would be fixed. Only then did we find out maintenance had gone for the day, had in fact been gone since 5pm (we reported the issue around 6:30) and wouldn't be back until Monday. The clerk's offer to help? "I could bring a plunger."

Fortunately we were able to let the housekeepers know about the toilet problem before anyone went into the room.

When we checked out I let the front desk clerk know we were disappointed with our stay and why. I was incredulous at his response to the crib issue, which essentially was "You should have called us. In 16 years we've never had cribs."

I'm sorry, but this isn't 1994. The only people I know who call hotels to book a room are either dead or technology-impaired.

I would have rated this place two stars but bumped it up for a couple of reasons. First, considering the location it was very quiet. Second, the jacuzzi in our room was so quiet our child slept the entire time it was on. Finally, the morning clerk made a good-faith effort to reduce my dissatisfaction. We may stay here again, but not until we have no children in need of a crib.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank soxinsc
11045, Manager at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

I apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your time with us soxinsc. Not having cribs is something that we have lately been going back and forth about. Mainly in part, as to what we can legally offer guests, while protecting ourselves at the same time in this highly litigated world that we live in. THIS IS NO EXCUSE, HOWEVER. I greatly apologize for this, and fully understand your dismay- I remember traveling with my infant son who had to sleep with my wife and I because of the "no crib policy" some hotels had. Very frustrating. This is something I will definitely take care of myself. If I can help you in any way, or answer any questions you might have, please don't hesitate to call. 706-546-7311.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

People were above us the whole night and morning being very loud. The doors were awful everytime someone opened their doors they would sqeak it was awful! We couldn't get the heat to work till late that night it wasn't a pleasant stay at all

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Shawmarie D

I greatly apologize for the noise your neighbor's caused during your stay with us Shawmarie D. Unfortunately, some people just are not considerate at all when it comes to thinking of others in a hotel environment. In the future, please let the front desk know ASAP, so that we can remedy the situation. Also, if you could message me the room number you all had, so that we can double check the a/c unit in that room- I would greatly appreciate it. We hope to have a chance to better serve you in the future! Call if you need anything. 706-546-7311.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Our room was very clean and large and all the staff were friendly and helpful. Our usual place was booked up and we chose Best Western because of the great Trip Advisor reviews. The location is convenient. We were very pleased and would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
11045, Manager at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for your contribution to our TripAdvisor page Patricia D! Being a clean and customer savvy property is something that our staff takes pride in providing. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again in the future! Let us know if you should ever need anything. 706-546-7311.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

here now with high schoolers for JanFest, the huge UGA high school honor band. I admit I was a little skeptical when we checked in but after being here just a few minutes I could tell that the property was clean and safe. (Important when traveling with your child and others.) I would not hesitate to recommend this property to anyone traveling on a budget looking for clean and safe. And the free continental breakfast is a plus for teens too!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
11045, Manager at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

So glad that you and your students enjoyed staying with us for the Janfest competition Rcraw45425! As you mentioned in your post, our #1 priority is to offer a clean, safe and comfortable environment that is competitively priced. This is especially important when traveling with young teenagers like you said. I appreciate your review, and any recommendations that you give to anyone that is coming to the Athens area. If there is anything we can help you with in the future please let us know! 706-546-7311.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We use this motel as often as the price and quality are acceptable to us. When it isn't we stay in surrounding towns. This location is pretty good and if I choose to, I can walk to Sanford Stadium and the UGA campus. Sometimes I walk into the downtown area of Athens to enjoy the various sights and storesa and restaurants. The staff are usually nice and very willing to help when needed. I have had minor issues with the house keeping and a few things they might overlook, but over many years I have found them as good as any other motel or hotel that I have used in any town.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Harold R
11045, Owner at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

We are glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us Harold R, and greatly appreciate your patronage throughout the years. Like you mentioned, we also believe that our location is one of the many strengths of our property. Being so close to all of the area attractions is a plus for our guests. Thank you for the comments regarding our staff, I will be sure to pass your contribution along to them. Next time you are headed to the Athens area, be sure to give us a call!706-546-7311. Thanks again!