“Excellent 8-day stay”

Best Western Athens
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I had a fairly long stay at this hotel (8 nights). I was in town for a college sporting event. Given the length of my stay, I interacted with several employees. Without exception, they were helpful, proactive and professional. They gave me excellent ideas regarding places to go in Atlanta and Athens, gave me good "insider" directions to avoid heavy traffic in and out of Atlanta, always asked how my stay was going, and constructively handled a guest smoking in a non-smoking area. I travel a lot and stay in hotels ranging from budget to luxury. I found my stay at the Athens Best Western to be extremely comfortable. I would absolutely stay there again. The room was very clean, the beds were very comfortable, and the hotel has a great location for people interested in UGA or downtown Athens. I think the hotel is soon undergoing a huge renovation so that should make it even better. It was very clear that the manager and staff are dedicated to making sure guests have a good experience. I rarely take the time to write reviews but this hotel deserves it.

Room Tip: I liked having a room close to the front desk (there are separate buildings). Also, some rooms are s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
11045, Manager at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us 212hotelguest! The NCAA Tennis Championships that were in town was a great event for the city of Athens, and we look forward to having you again when the tournament comes back. As you mentioned in your review we do anything we can to make sure that our guests are happy. Being a competitively priced option within the Athens market that offers top notch customer service is our goal. I appreciate you sharing your experience and if you should need anything, do not hesitate to give us a call! 706-546-7311.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

A older Clean hotel with outside doors in good location. Room decoration looks dated but appears clean and in good repair. Free internet. Would stay here again if good room rate. Close to college and downtown.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
11045, Manager at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for your review ganny60! It pleases me to hear you enjoyed our clean and updated property. Maintaining a good quality standard is what we strive to do on a daily basis. Being a competitively priced hotel that is clean and comfortable is what makes us stand out within the Athens market. Anything you should ever need, please give us a call! 706-546-7311.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stay here a lot for business. The staff always makes sure I'm taken care of. Sometimes I'm not able to give them a lot of notice when I'm coming to town, but they always have a room for me. They even try to keep me in the same room from week to week if possible. I stay out here more than I'm home, so being comfortable is important to me. Liz Moore, the owner, always makes sure I have whatever I need for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
11045, Manager at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Great to hear Chuck S! We truly appreciate your business over the past several years, and have enjoyed becoming friends with you. Always let us know whenever you need something, and we will get you taken care of. Hope work at UGA has been going well and I am sure we will see you around! 706-546-7311.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We found the room to be very clean and comfortable.. Bed was very comfortable, Bedding was updated, TV as well.. Breakfast was decent - not a ton of selections, but did have waffles that were very good.. My only real complaint was that the normal rate of the hotel is $75, which would be a fair amount, but was jacked up for graduation to around $225 a night - this was NOT a $225 a night hotel at all!! They were the ONLY place in town that had a room available and I made the reservations a week in advance. The hotel was not sold out and I am sure this is why.. The young lady checking us in and out was just OK, not friendly, but not rude either.. When we got in the room the A/C had been turned way down and the room was quite hot - would have been nice to have had it on and ready for guests. I would probably not hesitate to stay here again if the price was back to normal..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TnFan19
11045, General Manager at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts TnFan19! We take pride in being a clean and comfortable property that offers guests quality amenities like the mattresses and flat-panel T.V.s you mentioned. Being that you were in town for graduation did mean that our prices went up with the huge demand that this special event generated. I do hope that the graduation ceremonies for your loved one was enjoyable, and we hope to see you again in the future. Call us if you ever need anything! 706-546-7311.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

The price for a room was pretty overpriced, but I figured it wouldn't be that bad. Wrong. The outside of the hotel brings to mind a cheap place crooks would choose to hide out from the police, and the room was musty smelling and dingy. The carpet was gross, the shower was weak, and I couldn't wait to check out. If they had cut the price per night in half it would've been understandable, but the fact that the hotel sucked AND they ripped us off to stay there just added insult to injury.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
11045, Manager at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

I hate to hear that you did not enjoy your stay TeadaCailin. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our property so that we can improve in the areas you mentioned. With it being graduation for the University of Georgia the rates do go up. Mentioning that our property sucked is a very strong statement- I would hope that you said this out of frustration for the price points that graduation weekend commanded. Hopefully we can get the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

In town for business and was told to stay here because of cost savings.The bed was very comfortable which surprised me, and the water was always hot.
The breakfast did not have a lot of selections and space is very limited but the waffles were tasty.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
11045, Manager at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience Victor R! I am glad to hear that you followed up on the recommendation of a fellow traveler, and gave us the opportunity to serve you. Being a cost efficient property that maintains a high standard of cleanliness and comfort is who we strive to be. If we can help you with anything, please don't hesitate to call! 706-546-7311.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

This hotel was o.k. One room had a bit of an odor. We booked four rooms, others were clean. One room had only one washcloth and one bed in another didn't have a sheet. It's a fairly good mid-level motel. Nothing special but not a dump.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
11045, Manager at Best Western Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for sharing Lynn S! I hope that you and your friends had a good experience at our property. As you mentioned we are a mid-market hotel, that offers very competitive rates. We strive to be the best value in Athens (as we've been rated on TripAdvisor best value), while offering a clean and comfortable environment. If you ever need anything, feel free to give us a call! Thank you for the review! 706-546-7311