“Regress back to the 1970s”

Holiday Inn Athens-University Area
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Lake Mary, Florida
“Regress back to the 1970s”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Staying at this hotel is like being in the 1970s, because that seems to be the last time is was redecorated. Not only did the website fail to mention the construction going on, but the construction disrupted entrances and took away parking spots. All the facilities were old, dank and worn out. The indoor pool was dirty and had scratchy, worn out, old towels. The pool also didn't have a poolside bar and the pool experienced a gloomy dearth of sunlight. The dreariness of the hotel was matched by the apathy of the front desk associates. They were robotic, at best, and were unhelpful in assisting with any local arrangements. I also had to wander around the hotel, trying to find a working vending machine, just to buy a coke. The first three vending machines were completely un-operational. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this relic.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Dear Grinchdog,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and surpass the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I am sorry to hear that your stay with did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience the on going construction has caused you and the dissatisfaction you had on most of the amenities. We regret the discomfort you have encountered during your visit.

I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit so we can show what we have done.

Dhan M
Case Manger
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Greek first
COLUMBUS
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

The rooms are awesome even though the beds are a little small. The lack of sweet n low in the restaurant was. Unhappy, and the food was average. The staff is second to none. Colby went out of his way to be helpful. Defenstely coming back.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank DEBORAH M
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We checked in late last Thursday and were told we had the last room in the hotel. I think this was an attempt to lower our expectations for our room. We were told we had a queen bed, fine for us, but then got to the room and it was a double bed. The room was small and dirty and to top it off we were basically right across the hall from a construction site. I used the restroom next to the hotel restaurant and saw a cockroach. That was the end of story for me. Won't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Loose_Change
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Loose_Change,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the room assigned to you and our on going renovations. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed here one night & found this property to very confusing. The hotel is being renovated so the business center wasn't bear the lobby & located in another building instead. Two different people stopped me in the hall to ask about rooms because the elevators they were in didn't take them to their room. Apparently there is a separate elevator for different room numbers. It appears an old part of the hotel or a hotel next door is being demolished but I could be wrong. There wasn't a ton of parking because of the mess outside. Hotel staff was very nice & the room was a typical Hol Inn. I didn't take advantage of any of the amenities since I was only there for one night. It's in a good location for the University or downtown. I would stay here again.

Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband and I stayed there last week for a business trip. While he was working, I was able to explore the hotel. Every day I ate at the hotel's breakfast and lunch buffet...and all I can say is WOW. Manager Linz Queen is super friendly and goes out of her way to ensure customers have a great experience at the restaurant. I was there at the same time a large volleyball group was there and I was worried that the service would go down. I was wrong. The food is delicious, manager is super friendly, and the servers were great. We also ate dinner there twice and although the dinner selection isn't very broad, the food they do have is delicious.

Regarding the room, it was quiet and spacious. We had a deluxe king room. Housekeeping staff is friendly and does a great job.

We will definitely stay here again if we are ever in Athens.

Boiling Springs, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I stayed four nights while taking a class at UGA. The staff were very friendly and helpful with directions and dinner recommendations. The room looked recently renovated. It was comfortable and, most importantly, quiet. The only thing missing was a refrigerator. I will stay there again, if I return to UGA.

1 Thank dea421753
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I stay here every year for AthFest in the summer, and have never been overly-disappointed. The absolute best part is the location; walking distance to everything downtown is a score. And truthfully, after a night of walking, drinking and eating, this hotel ultimately is just a place to let my head hit the pillow. The service at the front desk is ... pokey. No matter the time of day that I've ever arrived, they always seem short-staffed; however, for the most part, they seem sincerely happy and helpful. The cleanliness is a toss-up; I've found that the rooms on occasion have areas that their housekeeping staff neglects, but as I said, as long as the sheets are clean and comfy, I'm not there for luxury - I'm there for the fantastic location and reasonable rates. And I will continue to stay at this particular Holiday Inn, but I have to remind myself to allow for extra time at check-in.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends