“Soooooo Gross!”

Howard Johnson Inn Athens
Howard Johnson Inn Athens
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I've done a lot of traveling and this place was the worst conditions ive ever been in. The rooms stink, bugs everywhere, shady people, and very run down.

• Stayed: May 2011

Reviewed 11 April 2011

my stay at the howard johnson was very nice, they have friendly services the rooms are nice and clean. For the price that you pay i think it is a very pleasant place to stay it may not be the hilton or holiday inn but i really do think this is a good place to stay when you visit ATHENS,GA.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2011

Checked in the hotel and was greeted by a very friendly staff. They were very helpful and tented to my every need. The staff at Howard Johnson really made my stay comfortable..

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2011

i was there for business trip.everything in the hotel was nice and clean. good location. next to the restaurant.

Room Tip: clean rooms
Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2010

After checking in on a recent business trip I went to the room found there were stained sheets(do not know what,and don't want know)went to check back out staff called owner at which time I spent at least 20 minutes arguing with her about getting my money back,at this time she informed me it was state law not to reimburse someone after 15 minutes.Needless to say this will be disputed at the least,this is a vile rathole and should be avoided at all cost,if you put your money in you will pay hell getting it back.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank JDB138
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Long story short. Myself, my wife and friends were goint to go to a UGA football game and we had made reservations in advance at this hotel. Well, some things came up and we couldn't go. We called in the correct amount of time to cancel our rooms. Low and behold I get an invoice of one of the rooms being charged to me. I tried to call a few times to talk to the manager and low and behold he was no where to be found and never returned my calls. Not only that but they informed me that their records indicated that I only canceled one of the rooms not two and that they had no phone records of me calling to cancel the rooms. Finally when my wife did reach the manager he claimed that there was no way he couldve gotten back in contact with me cause he didn't have my phone number. Which is the strangest thing cause when you make reservations, they always take a contact number where you can be reached. By this time my wife was pretty heated and that was when the manager quickly refused to work with us and turned it over to corporate. Now the manager will not take my call and corporate tells me that it is out of their hands. Not only that but they had the balls to tell me that the rooms were already filled to other visitors. I understand money is tight right now but to take advantage like that to a person who followed the rules and are willing to pay the appropriate amount is just sad. Be careful about this hotel and the management . They will prey on the honest and will steal your money while still smiling at you. It is a shame that people have to do this and conduct business this way.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank JoeShmo72
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Due to a death in the family several members of our family stayed at the HoJo in Athens for several nights in July and we could not have asked for a better experience or better service, especially at the price (less than $45 a night including taxes and breakfast). This is a typical motel and not a resort by any stretch of the imagination but it is clean, well maintained and safe. The people who work in the motel are typial Athenians - friendly and willing to do what they can to make the stay pleasant. The motel has a good wi-fi connection, free local and long distance phone calls, a decent breakfast (nothing to write home about) a HUGE pool for the kids, is in a good location (not downtown but close) coffee in the room, refrigerator, and microwave. It is about 5 minutes from the motel to a strip of restaurants and the always important Wal-Mart and there is a very good Mexican restaurant located adjacent to the motel. I can't imagine what anyone would expect from a sub $50 a night motel but this one delivers above and beyond for the price.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family