“Perfect Homecoming”

Howard Johnson Inn Athens
Howard Johnson Inn Athens
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 8 November 2009

I stayed here for the homecoming weekend against Tennessee Tech....The location of the hotel was perfect for us...not too far from downtown or the stadium but far enough away from the crowds of downtown....the rooms were clean, beds were comfortable....the hotel has a free breakfast every morning and offers free wifi throughout the hotel....the staff was helpful and courteous.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank frigidaire1231

Reviewed 8 October 2009

My girlfriend and I needed a hotel late at night because we found out our apartment was infested with spiders. Not the most pleasent thing ever. After looking around Athens for a place to stay for a few hours (we checked in at around 3am) until morning, we checked in here because it was the cheapest hotel in town. We were in the room for 30 minutes, and then had to leave because of the following reasons:

1) There were bugs all over the room
2) There were pubic hairs in the bed
3) The room reeked of smoke
4) There was what appeared to be semen stains on the comforter
5) There were weird noises coming from other rooms. Did not feel safe and felt that there was a bunch of prostitution and/or drugs going on here.

The hotel would not give us our money back either. Waste of money. Waste of time. DO NOT STAY HERE! Manager was a total jerk when I tried to get money back.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I'm a business traveler. I travel 35 weeks out of a year, and I usually stay in some pretty nice hotels. I will admit that I am a bit of a "hotel snob". I know that thousands have slept in the hotel bed before me, and showered in the hotel shower-however I NEVER want to see any traces of another person being there. Cleaniness is important! My partner and I had to go to Athens, GA but did not want to spend a lot on a hotel. We had stayed at the Hampton Inn before and it was pretty decent. After reading some reviews, we went with the cheaper hotel so that we could stay a few extra days. I was really ok with the room. A little old school, but it was clean. I did not have an unpleasant smell although I could smell that heavy scent of cover-up (Febreeze, Lysol, etc.) The room did surpass my expectations; it was a 2 star hotel at $47/ night. I really expected worse. It wasn't bad at all. Of course the bed wasn't as nice and comfortable as what is offered by the Hilton Family of hotels, but it was half the price! There were a lot of familes there and the location appreared to be pretty safe. The hotel was pretty quiet and the people seem to be enjoying the pool. We didn't eat any of the free breakfast. I would definitely stay again for a short trip. Great location too! Not far from downtown Athens and close to a lot of the popular chain restaurants and stores. Free wifi and free parking! Now that is something that I am use to paying for.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank waltertainment
Reviewed 10 July 2009

My wife is a Hospice Nurse. We live only one hour away from the hotel. In April a series of strong thunderstorms moved through the Athens area. I drive my wife to the various patients because she is the night emergency nurse. We were at a patients house near Hull Ga when a tornado alert went off. My wife was just finishing up so we hit the road for home. As we approached Hull Ga. tornado warning horns were blaring. We pulled off the road and weathered it out at a local service station (in the drink cooler as per police instructions). When the all clear was sounded it was getting on 9 pm. There was more large hail and bad weather so I had my wife call the HoJo in Athens. They made a reservation pronto and for a smoking room at that (we smoke). When I got to the front desk the night manager was very nice and put us on a ground floor room. But it doesn't end there, she suggested resaturates that deliver and told us it was getting late and if we were hungry to call them soon. Our room was clean, and comfortable. I had no complaint about anything with them.
The following complaint is in no way HoJo's fault. Because of the tornado warnings earlier most of the restaurants would not deliver. Ok for the mom and pop Chinese restaurant, but when I called Papa Johns pizza I was referred to at least 3 different locations. None of the Papa Johns knew which one serviced HoJo. Finally one said it would deliver a pizza but there would be a 4 hour wait, if they even arrived at all. I believe they said this because they were too scared to deliver. At this time the skys had cleared, stars out, and not even lightning in the distance. Knowing the Athens area the distance from Papa Johns to HoJo., about 2 miles max.
I would stay at HoJo Athens again, and I recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank papaparrothead
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I will NEVER stay here again! I am a peculiar person when it comes down to where I lay my head and what I wash my body with. We had a non-smoking room and I examined the bed to see if I saw anything, but upon inspection, I did not. Or so I thought. While I was sleeping, I swore I could smell smoke, but I just thought it was my imagination. The next morning while lounging in bed, I discovered cigarette burn marks in the sheet. It was too late at that particular time to make a fuss about it, so I let it go. After being gone all day and returning to the room, the bed was made up, but I pulled the covers back and lo and behold, the same darn cigarette burned sheets were on the bed. It was close to midnight, but I called the front desk and of course housekeeping was gone and she didn't have access to any other sheets, but she would call to see if the manager was on property. I walked to the front and inquired about what was going to be done about the sheets, and I had to suggest another room. Got another room and went to inspect the bed, looked ok, but the blanket had cigarette burns! We got the blanket from the other room to use and after getting into bed I discovered hair in the bed. Not one piece, but several hairs. So I proceeded to just pick the darn hairs from the bed and ensure myself that I will NEVER stay at any Howard Johnson EVER again. The towels had hairs in them and I was just not happy at all with my experience there. All I have to say is stay at your own risk. You have been warned!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2008

We have stayed at this location about 5 times in the past, and obviously have been pleased, up until now. I will start off by saying that the rooms have always been clean, and the ladscaping in the courtyard is very well maintained. Our last visit, though, the room we had booked was non-smoking and even with a printed email confirmation, was still given a smoking room. Our request at time of booking, and at check in was ignored and we were advised "all roll aways were being used" even after we had stopped in EARLY that moring to re-confirm our request for one. I agree with one poster's comment about the quality of people in the pool area, as we kept close eye on our 9 and 12yr old girls in the pool, as there was a group of 15-17 yr old dance/cheerleading team having a pool/pizza party, and the 30-something male hotel guests that were "well entertained" by watching the young girls. We finally pulled the girls out after we watched a grown woman walking around in the pool with a bottle of alcohol (mind you the bottle was on the side of the pool the next morning) It took a phone call and then a trip to the front desk to get (one) extra pillow for the child that "pulled the shortest straw" and slept on the floor that night due to the hotel ignoring our request for the roll away. I have emailed my concerns to the hotel, and if anything is done, or the issues are addressed, I will be back to post a follow up to this post.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 15 May 2008

Most of the complaints in other reviews seem partly true to me. However, my experience was worse. I arrived with a one day reservation made through the Internet. On arrival I inquired as to the price for a 16 day stay, and being offered an appropriate saving on the daily rate, I said I would be staying 16 days. The clerk then explained when the charges would be made, making it clear that she understood my intentions. Seven days later I was told that the hotel was booked for the following night, that I had no reservation, and that I would have to leave immediately. Not only that, I was then charged the daily rate for a one night stay for each of the seven days. The manager was extremely rude and would not even wait one hour for the arrival of the clerk who checked me in to see whether she would confirm my intention to stay for an extended time, which I presume would have at least got me a lower rate.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)