“Sleeping in the sewer would be a step above this place”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We checked into a non smoking room that smelled awful. On the floor right under the dust ruffle were cigarette butts. We were moved to another room. When we went into the bathroom there were dirty towels draped over the edge of the bathtub, dried dirty wash cloths in the corner of the bathtub, dirty soap on the side of the bath tub, mold on the shower curtain and red stuff on the shower head. When the staff were advised, we were told there was nothing they could do and we would have to talk to the mgr in the am. We slept with our clothes on on top of the bedspread, using our coats as blankets for fear the sheets had not been cleaned or changed. Even then, we itched all night. The next morning the lady on duty in the office professed to be the manager. When I explained our experience, she told me that I could have a full refund but I would have to sign something that would prevent me from complaining. When I stated I was going to complain, I was told that I would not be given a refund. When I asked her to put that in writing, she told me she could don't do that and in fact was not the manager. I then asked for a zero balance bill. She advised that she could not do that. After I insisted that indeed she could and would, she did. A member of the cleaning crew advised they are not allows to leave towels on the floor. I informed them that indeed it had happened and I had pictures to prove it. She immediately left. I am confident that not only are the rooms never cleaned, but that management has no interest in ensuring they have a clean facility. I would not be surprised if the rooms rent out hourly or the hotel staff allow people to stay in or use the rooms.

It was by far the worst hotel I have ever see or stayed out. It should be shut down.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the Holiday Inn Express down the street.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo M

Reviewed 7 February 2012

I would seriously urge students to commit a non-violent crime that would put them in jail overnight, before advising anyone to book a night at the Travelodge. As a 2003 UGA alumni, I continually struggle to find available rooms during the football season and have, in the past, been forced to stay at the Travelodge. While never experiencing any serious issues, the place is simply old and crappy. Real estate is at a premium near the downtown area, so it is my hope that the stubborn owners of the Travelodge sell the property for its land value, so that a new hotel can be built.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank cydnanyc
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I travel with a pet sometimes, so cannot really do hotwire or priceline when traveling with her. So after checking which hotels near downtown Athens will allow pets, I booked through Travelodge website without thinking.

First, it is not really downtown. It is walking distance from The Varsity, but, taking my dog for a walk towards downtown on Broad St. the afternoon we got there, I quickly turned around after passing boarded up businesses and avoiding the shady looking bums hanging out and hopscotching the broken beer and wine bottles on the sidewalk. I drove my car downtown and parked, which I recommend. The deadbolt would not lock, and the security latch looked like it had been knocked off during a break-in and hastily reattached. I had my dog, so did not request another room, which I should have.

The room: Bed looked like someone had dropped a bowling ball from 10 stories on top of it...a 1.5 foot depression about 1 foot deep in the middle of the bed....maybe a 250 pound hooker had been working there. Debris and dried liquid/unknown materials on walls and headboard. Hot water took about 20 minutes to get to the room. Knob on tub shower was loose and took some real magic to get water to come out, much less figure out how to get hot water. When the shower knob was pulled, about 10 % of water came out of shower head and the remaining 90% came out of the faucet, so wetting yourself, much less hair, was a real task. Bathtub/tile/floor had been patched with big messy bead of caulk which was cracked and brown.

Phone buttons were all smashed in. Luckily "O" worked when I had to call the office to report the fight going on in a nearby room. After some guy banged on the door for 10 minutes at 2 AM, the stupid girl inside opened it, let him in, and they were screaming and cursing each other(calling each other "N*&G*r") and I expected gunfire at any time. I called the office rather than the police, and the front desk girl said "call 911". I said I don't know what room it is in and she said she would check it out. Well, the screaming/banging continued and she called me back in a few minutes and said "i didn't hear anything". I doubt she checked it out, as this is probably normal in this hotel. As the domestic violence continued, I called her back and said I was frightened. She said she would call the police. They came, and knocked on MY door! Of course, the minute the cop showed up, they stopped fighting. You would think that Athens police would know how to approach a situation like this and observe the violence so that they could at least address the situation and make arrests.

The only good thing about this stay was that I was able to check out alive and not injured. Now, will I get some disease or discover bedbugs later? I don't know.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank vinyldoc
Reviewed 7 November 2011

this was the worst motel i have every stayed in it smelled like a sewer it had mold in the bathroom, the room itself nasty. there was burnt holes in the spread. it looked like something that they rent by the hour. there was no other hotel rooms anywhere since there was a ga game going on but ill never go back to Athen if i have to stay there. i suggest shutting the doors on this place

Room Tip: any where but this place
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2011

On arrival, tv was on and bed disheveled. Linens were dirty and they had turned a full size sheet sideways to try to make it fit a king bed. Room stunk, the tv was about to fall out of the cabinet. Sofa had a big stain on the seat cushion. I had to go to office and request new linens. I was unable to shower because they had screwed a regular faucet handle onto a lever type faucet so it would only turn on in cold position. Room and bathroom in disrepair with spackle and paint that looked like a 5 year old had played with. This was a cross between Bates hotel and Roach hotel! Drive 40 miles to a hotel if you must, but do not stay here!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 20 June 2011

First, the clerk checked another person in under our reservation. Second, the first room we were issued reaked of cat urine!!!! Third, the clerk said that hotels.com charged the wrong amount so she not only charged the other guest on my friends credit card, but charged us again on her credit card. The second room was OK, we could sleep in that room. Don't plan on breakfast here, no juice, you had to ask for milk for the cereal, a banana or apple is the only fruit, cheep sams club muffins, and bagels are it, no jelly, only plain cream cheese. my friend requested a ground floor room because of her health issues, so of corse we got a third floor room.

Room Tip: Use another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I talked to the guy staying next door to my room. He told me it is one of the nastiest places he has ever stayed. He then told me he was homeless last week. I would look for other options.

• Stayed: January 2011