“GA tech vs. UGA game”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Came for the game night. We read all the bad reviews but had to stay here do to pricing, vacancy, and location. Much to our surprise the rooms were really clean and smelled nice. Also, they had new linen and a nice lcd tvs. I wonder if this place is under new management. I would recommend this place to anyone!

Rick

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 November 2012

PRO'S:
7 Blocks from the Campus.
Price not bad for that close.
Staff was very helpful with information and adjusting to our needs.
King bed was comfortable and plenty of pillows.
CON'S:
Parking was tight.
Rooms need upgraded.
New paint would go a long way to fresh up rooms.

Room Tip: We requested a ground floor due to phyical limitations lot of partying night before the game and lou...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2012

In One Sentence: The room was so dirty and smelly that we immediately requested (and received!) a refund because we felt the room (No. 215) was uninhabitable.

The full story...
We were in town for a UGA game, and this was a more affordable option compared to other hotels in the city ($150 for one night vs. $300 with a two-night minimum stay). I was skeptical, but several of the more positive reviews swayed our group of travelers knowing we wouldn't be spending much time in the room.

Based on the appearance of the lobby and exterior/hallways, I expected the rooms to be basic but acceptable. We couldn't have been more wrong! I would have been able to accept the fact that the furniture was well-worn (beds sagging in the middle, finish worn off surfaces). I would even have been able to look past the worn carpets and haphazardly hung art and headboards. But I was not able to ignore:
- The smell. Our non-smoking room smelled like a smoking room. But it wasn't just the smoke; the room smelled musty and just straight up bad. As we contemplated if we'd stay, we had to sit with the door open. My husband wouldn't even come inside.
- The mysterious liquid on the lampshades. All the lampshades looked like they'd had red Kool-Aid poured on them.
- The drips and dirt on all the walls. From the bathroom to beside the desk to between the nightstand and beds, all of the walls looked as though they'd also had some kind of liquid splashed on them that had never been cleaned up. Drips and splatters were everywhere. The walls were especially dirty above the baseboards and were very worn - rubbed to the point of discoloration - near furniture.
- The dirty, cracked bathroom floor. Tiles were cracked and all the corners/grout were visibly dirty.
- The cobwebs. There were cobwebs along the ceilings in the bathroom.
- The worn, sagging beds. Both beds were made with linnens so thin you could see every wrinkle in the sheets and the sharp corners of the mattress. They were sagging in the middles so much that the ends were easily a couple inches higher than the middle.

I could go on, but you get it: it's dirty, worn and stinks. This isn't a matter of getting what you pay for or accepting something of a lower quality based on budget. I am not sure how this place is still in business, and I am sorry for anyone who has to stay there. I posted a good number of photos of the room - I have never seen something like this in my life. The one nice feature was the TV, a newer, 27-inch LCD.

Regarding the overall property - it didn't seem like there were enough spots for the size of the hotel, and they weren't issuing/tracking parking, even on game day. By 9 a.m., there were no parking spots. The lobby was basic, but seemed like it'd been updated fairly recently. Breakfast was advertised, but all I saw was cereal, and we arrived shortly after 8 a.m. There is a pool, but the woman at the front desk said the owner never opened it this year (2012). The location is a bit further outside of downtown than is ideal, but if you don't mind a walk, it's manageable.

I wish I'd have trusted my instincts - thank goodness there was a room available at the Holiday Inn Express down the street so we could immediately relocate. Also, the woman working the front desk quickly refunded our money after listening to my complaints, which was very nice but also made us feel like she wasn't surprised and this wasn't the first time she'd had problems.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2012

The staff was wonderful but the motel is very run down and dirty. Needs to be upgraded and cleaned up.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I was on a business trip and I needed to stop in Athens and ended up here. The rate was not was bad, and neither was the room. I had a nice restful sleep and breakfast in the morning. Not bad for the the price.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business