“Nice place for a short stay”

Holiday Inn Express Athens
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I've spent more than 10 consecutive nights there. The rooms are dated and some are dark too. But the service was good, as well as the free breakfast, and the hotel is very well located (at walking distance from bars and restaurants). Overall, I haven't had to complain about the noise except on Saturday night when the hotel was a bit crowded. Given the price, I'd really recommend for a short stay during week days.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank lumikam
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear lumikam,

Thank you so much for the feedback. I appreciate the compliment regarding our staff service and location. We appreciate you taking the time to provide critical feedback which we use to help us improve our services for you and all our future guests. We are sorry for the condition of the rooms and noise experienced. I assure you that we will take appropriate steps to provide exceptional service to each guest. Thank you again for your thoughts and suggestions.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We have stayed here twice for UGA football games in the last year. You pay $500 and upwards (plus tax) for the weekend (there is a 2-night minimum stay required). Obviously, you pay a premium for game weekends and this location (walking distance to tailgating and stadium), so we did not expect anything fancy. However, there was visible black mold/mildew on the ceiling of the room and the walls of the bathroom. Some walls have been repainted or covered up with mirrors, so I have to wonder about how much more mold/mildew there might be that we can't see. Unfortunately, I immediately started having significant allergic reactions after the 2nd night staying in this room. It's frustrating, because this is a great location for game weekends, but I don't know that I will pay $500+ again just to feel sick. I have stayed in several other Athens hotels and had no similar problems, so I'll likely be taking my business elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear DixieWanderer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re very sorry you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of the room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G

Reviewed 15 August 2013

We were moving my daughter to attend UGA (which hotel is very near BTW) and needed place to stay during orientation then we were planning family trip to mountains in north Georgia, returning in a few days to move her in to dorm. I called to ask for recommendation for storage facilities nearby where we could store my daughter's belongings and hotel manager, Luis, offered to store her belongings at the hotel. The offer was very nice, however when my wife arrived the staff knew nothing of his offer even though I had called to remind Luis only a couple hours before their arrival. And although I had made it clear that it was a pickup truck full, he seemed to be aggravated that we had so much stuff. Furthermore, he had told me he would charge me $25 but when I received my bill I was charged $50. Not really a problem but thought it was not what he said. Anyway, for the money the hotel was OK.

Room Tip: Choose 1st floor to avoid "weird" layout of hotel described by other reviewers.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Craig M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Craig M,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Athens, GA.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Other than the bed was updated to provide a modern feel, everything else looks tired and dated. The furniture and cabinets were probably put in 30 years ago. The lights in the room were dim. The swimming pool was full of dead flies! There are other better quality hotels in the area. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank piggyvenus
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear piggyvenus,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us through this review. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests as we constantly strive to achieve the highest service and quality standards.

Please accept our sincere apologies for we were not able to meet your standards this time due to the hotel condition which was not up to the level that you expected. Your experience is definitely not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future improvements where possible.

We appreciate your feedback as this allows us to assess where we have opportunities to make improvements. Thank you for your business and for taking the time to write your concerns.

Dhan M

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Our stay of one night was just average...checking in was standard however lacking any enthusiasm or even much of a smile, lots going on at the time I guess. Also checking in were a group of softball tourney youths...more about that later. The property is in an older building with an odd configuration for the elevator, you have to use a ramp to go to the third floor to take your luggage up or down a flight of stairs to get to an elevator,..weird. Used the exercise room, dirty and small. Back to 'youths'...who ran unsupervised until very late, up and down the halls, lack of care by parents for other guests...Breakfast was good, many choices and all hot and fresh. Room clean enough but not crisp like I prefer. Checkout was a curt nod and no smile or 'how was your stay'. Probably won't stay here if given the chance again. If you need a bed and don't need anything else, you'll be happy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear cntrymama_11,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the elevator and fitness room. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I was only here one night so I didn't use any amenities. Check in went well & staff was very friendly. There was a refrig & microwave in the room which was nice. The hotel layout is bit confusing but my room was very large, quite a bit larger than the Holiday Inn down the street (make sure you have the correct hotel as they are both on Broad). The hotel was very clean & I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Super efficient check-in and check-out, although the front staff weren't the friendliest (but I'll take efficiency over friendliness)...Decent breakfast spread and fast internet...rooms were typical 2 queen-size bed room similar to Marriott or Hilton Garden Inn...in the middle of downtown Athens, so within walking distance of restaurants and nightlife...Very satisfied

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family