“Average at best Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Athens
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Mississippi
“Average at best Holiday Inn Express”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Jennifer was very nice at check in. She was nice to check us in a few minutes early. She had a very difficult customer before me, and was very patient and professional with regards to assisting the prior customer. Room was large but very dark. Not much lighting in dark room. Pet friendly hotel but no area to exercise the pet on hotel property. Our shower would not drain, but the hotel staff got that fixed within 5 minutes of me calling to report the issue. Great rate/value for the room($55) a night. Great location for campus and downtown. Walking distance(2 blocks) to downtown shops and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear jkdaves,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. It is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. However, it seems that we were not able to execute an with regard to the lighting in your room. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort it may have caused you. We are highly motivated by your words and ensure you that we shall continue to strive for excellence. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Never before have I experienced such a horrible stay at a hotel. The hotel was filled with unruly drunk college kids who screamed, banged on doors, ran through hallways, got into fights. The hotel was visited by police but nothing seemed to stop the noise. I was there with a baby who was kept up until 5am with the noise. There was vomit everywhere that was not cleaned up even by noon the next morning. The rooms are tired and the couch was stained (probably with booze and vomit). Breakfast was a joke. They ran out of food 30 minutes before breakfast ended yet never refilled the food again.

There are many other choices in Athens, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Susan F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Susan F,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Athens.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

GIBSONVILLE
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This was a very good location. Convenient with an exceptional manager and very foursome support staff, food was good. I sustained an injury while visiting and staff could not have bee more gracious and helpful. Ver accommodating in every way

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MICHAEL L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Obviously this is not a luxury hotel, so I won't treat it as such. What it is is a cheap option for a quick, nice stay. I'd say for a 2 star hotel, it's amazing.

I stayed there twice, and really enjoyed my stay both times. Staff is nice up to very nice. Location is great. Rooms are quite large, beds very comfortable, bathroom also nice and comfortable. What I loved the most on my first stay was that my room felt really private. Like I was really on my own, nobody to bother me, and I could relax. I found the same on my second stay. I really felt separated from the rest of the world (in a good way). It was ideal for me and allowed me to recharge my batteries and enjoy a great lazy night after a relaxing bath until I fell asleep.

The breakfast is simple -nothing fancy- but good enough to get filled up on pleasantly.

Would definitely recommend to anybody looking for a comfortable, cheap stay in Athens.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alex T
Douglas, GA
Reviewed 3 December 2013

As a top contributor with tripadvisor and a seasoned traveler I have stayed at numerous Holiday Inn Express hotels and this one is just average to me. I like the large lobby and it's layout, but after that to me it has some issues I'm not accustomed too at other HIE hotels. I am a platinum IHG rewards member and nearly always receive a bottle of water or a snack of some sort, but didn't receive anything at this hotel nor an offer of such. They knew I was a rewards member because the lady stated such as I was checking in. After that I left the lobby to find a parking spot and don't like the parking layout of the hotel, but understand you have to deal with what you have, but in some areas it is dark and to me a potential safety concern and additional lighting in those far corner areas would be better to give guests a little more feeling of security at night. The elevator was smaller than most and it was pretty packed with just myself and three others in it which was not comfortable. Luckily I was the only one with a suitcase because if there would have been more we all wouldn't have fit and that is the only elevator that I'm aware of in the hotel (I think). Holiday Inn Express Hotels have a complementary breakfast which is fine and they offer a decent amount of options, but not a fan of the cinnamon rolls anymore as I saw how they are stored and premade at another HIE property in the past and have pasted on them since. They also dry out too easily once they are put on the buffet bar in the morning if they are not kept covered up with the cover they come premade with. I like the neat pancake making machine as it is unique to Holiday Inn Express hotels as far as I know (I haven't seen them elsewhere) and just wish every hotel would spend a little more and get good quality syrup because a pancake isn't good without a decent syrup. Hotel room was fine overall. it has older fixtures, but has been remodeled. The room I stayed in was smaller than I'm use to for Holiday Inn Express hotels too, but that isn't an issue unless you have kids with you and need a little extra room to breath so to speak. You can easily hear any noise out in the hallway, so if you are close to the elevator you are going to hear more than if you are further away from it. The hotel is close to a lot of things in Athens and about 6 miles from the mall, and other major retailers. There are restaurants and clubs everywhere as the hotel is only a few blocks from UGA as well. I have stayed at multiple hotels in Athens and to me the Holiday Inn (not Express) is the better of the two, but this hotel is better than other hotels in the area and if you don't mind all the things I mentioned then you'll be fine and this hotel will satisfy your needs. Hope my review helped if so please give me a helpful vote.
Thanks!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank wofiii
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear wofiii,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am delighted to hear that our location was convenient for you. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 28 November 2013

If you are needing a place within walking distance to downtown Athens this is it. Now I will say it is close to "not the best area" in town but that same area lies right across from Broad St near the 40 Watt. It is about a 5 minute walk to the 40 Watt....about a 10 minute walk to the arches if that helps. Not in the HEART of downtown but def. close and for the price, it's a great place. Comfy, clean and the staff were friendly.Breakfast was good but at 9:30 it's done! so don't sleep in! Would stay again...hate the fact that if it's very reasonable on off game day weekends...but game day doubles if not more on the price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear Anthony P,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. I am delighted to hear that you found our hotel great, comfortable and clean and our staff friendly. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.
Ditzingen, Germany
Reviewed 17 November 2013

ok the Hotel it self need a bit renovation. Everything looks a bit worn out, Elevator is a very slow one.
But room was clean, and you are in walking distance of a lot nice places to go out for dinner or entertainment.
Also Athens downtown is not too far away and you can just walk there.

All in all a good place and the staff is friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Erika B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Erika B,

We strive to provide excellent accommodations to our guests and your comments are very much appreciated. I appreciate the positive remarks on our hotel staff and room accommodations. However, I apologize for any discomfort encountered due to the condition of the property during your stay. Please be assured that we do take all feedback and suggestions seriously, and we will look into them accordingly.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We hope you give us the opportunity to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N