“Great Time”

Ranked #41 of 493 Restaurants in Augusta
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I had forgotten about Rae's Coastal Café until my newlywed wife mentioned she would like to try a new restaurant in Augusta. This one came to mind and we were not disappointed. It does seem that this eatery caters to frequenting customers, but we were treated as though we had been eating there forever. The food is good, the wait staff is superb, particularly Allison, and the ambience is what my wife grew up with in her home town of Seattle. Need I say more? I think Rae's Coastal Café will be our go to restaurant for a long time to come.

There are newer reviews for Rae's Coastal Cafe

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Big fan of this place. Great seafood and if you like "jerk" style flavoring you will really like the jerk pork and chicken wings.

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner on a weekday and the place was packed and loud, which was not a problem with me or my husband. Our server was attentive but seemed to be taking care of too many tables. Our entrees came with the house salad which was just average. My jerk chicken was flavorful and it came with a sauce on the side that was spicy and went well with the jerk seasoning. However, my husband had the mahi mahi and he didn't like the way it was cooked. He said it was tough and dry, not flaky. The fish was also brought to him lukewarm. We finished off our meal with the delicious key lime pie - best I have had in years, comparable to the one I had in the Jekyll Island Hotel years ago.

1  Thank SherilynAD
Reviewed 2 February 2014

After almost two years of living here, hearing such great things about "the best kept secret" in Augusta, we were sadly disappointed with our meal at Rae's. Yes, it was "off the beaten path"; through a labyrinth of neighborhoods, but it was hard to call it a carribean "oasis".

We started our meal when the restaurant was relatively quiet. As we poured over the menu it seemed as though the "Jerk" seasoning was their speacialty as it was offered in the appetizers, in the salad course, and in the entree course in either chicken or pork varieties. So, naturally, we had to try it. We ordered the jerk wing appetizers. After the first bite, both of us knew these wings were not fresh. I asked my better half, "on a scale of 1-10 how fresh do you think these are?" She said, "3". Needless to say, nearly the entire plate of wings were pushed to the side of the table while we awaited our house salads that accompanied our entrees.

As our server brought out our salads, she told us that they are the best salads in Augusta; people come to the restuarant specifically to eat the salads. She placed them in front of us and we dug in. Upon our first bite, our tastebuds recognized the flavor...Olive Garden. Other than a couple of sliced red peppers and substitue the purple onion for green onions, this seemed to be a close replica of the Olive Garden salad model. So the ingredients were a little different, the house dressing was darn close.

For the entrees, I ordered the special, the Prime rib and my better half ordered the blackened Mahi Mahi. To Rae's credit, the Prime rib came out perfectly cooked. The mahi mahi, however, was blackend like crazy. It was so over seasoned that not only did she cough once, but twice while she ate the fish.

As our meal progressed, so did the noise. Naturally, the restuarant became more and more full. It is a pretty tight space so noise can escilate quickly. It seems, though, that the management turns up the music as the noise/conversations become louder. Not only did the crowd become muich louder, but the music was noticeably louder as well. It became quite difficult to carry a conversation. Some of these reviews have stated that this would be a great place to bring a date. I brought my better half here, but I know she isn't leaving me. I would never bring a date to this establishment.

As far as the service goes it was lackluster at best, but we really can't hold that against her because she was responsible for a party of 10 in our area as well.

All of that to say, after going two years without eating here, we really weren't missing much.

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is a hidden treasure. The building is old and rattle-trap looking from the outside, but a great surprise inside. The seafood is excellent, but the prime rib is also a great treat. Service was excellent. Definitely will be back soon.